Jan 21, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
very new to us
Hi everyone,

we were hoping to have been heading for Spain/Portugal by now but had some last minute hitches which means it going to be 27th December now before we can set off - that is if anyone can enlighten on us on this question.

We have had the van uprated recently (past two weeks) and all documents have been returned except the log book. Can we travel legally without this? We have been given a V5C/2 docket, but we are not planning to sell the van in the near future. Does this cover us? Would we be asked to produce the log book whilst abroad if pulled up. We have tried to look this up in our various guides and travel info, but no luck. So we are making an assumption that it won't be required - but is this wrong.

Many thanks for any guidance

Debbie

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
my belief is that you need to carry the v5. i certainly carry mine in a secure place with other original docs. but i also carry Photo copies in a separate folder just in case.:thumb:

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Here you risk a €500 fine if you dont cary it.
And I know because I had to lend a friend of mine from the UK€500 to pay his fine.

Mel

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Not sure about the names of documents but I couldn't get my car repaired this year without production of the V5.

I had to get someone from work to go to my house, scan it and email it to me.

Unfortunately the email which was forwarded to the repairer and breakdown company contained some disparaging comments about the French that we hadn't noticed until we forwarded it:Blush:

They took it well though( or rather the French did, Green Flag were most upset) ::bigsmile:

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I believe that the original reason for carrying the log book was so that you can prove ownership, however the log book now carries the message something like : This is not proof of ownership : although I doubt that French/Spain policeperson will know this.
So if you don't have the new V5 carry something which shows that you own the vehicle instead.

Edit Just checked with the AA and they say it is compulsory to carry the original registration document.

Mike

Last edited:

tonytange

Free Member
May 19, 2013
Southampton
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since 98
Hello you do need the v5 when abroad although I haven't had to show it but if you are going to use your uprated van you will need proff of this leagle uprating when trying to explain to police at a weight check .
Dont forget your van may now have differnt speed limits and weight limits on roads:thumb:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Here you risk a €500 fine if you dont cary it.
And I know because I had to lend a friend of mine from the UK€500 to pay his fine.

Mel

Same here in France, like Mel has mentioned in Belgium....you must carry your logbook.(Carte Grise Certificat d'immatriculation as it is called in France)...driving license, insurance, identity card or passport....I am not sure what fine is imposed...

Mel

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
You can apply for a temporary V5 from your local DVLA Office (if they still exist anywhere now) which will be acceptable as an alternative.
If you take along the green slip from the original it should only cost you £3-00 and they can issue it on the spot.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I believe that the original reason for carrying the log book was so that you can prove ownership, however the log book now carries the message something like : This is not proof of ownership : although I doubt that French/Spain policeperson will know this.
So if you don't have the new V5 carry something which shows that you own the vehicle instead.

Edit Just checked with the AA and they say it is compulsory to carry the original registration document.

Mike

correct.

the V5 names the registered KEEPER...not the legal owner.

the legal owner could be a finance house or lease company.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
You can apply for a temporary V5 from your local DVLA Office (if they still exist anywhere now) which will be acceptable as an alternative.
If you take along the green slip from the original it should only cost you £3-00 and they can issue it on the spot.

We went through a similar hoop before we set off in September and the above is not spot on according to what DVLA at Preston told us but it does depend on which employee you get as few seem to know what they are doing.

We were told they could not issue a new temporary V5 and then they relented after a bit of a confrontation and consultation. They would only issue a temporary V5 containing the information before the up-rate and not with the new rated information.

We travelled with this and got our daughter to post the new one out to us when it finally arrived about 8 weeks later.

Do not take the above as gospel as I am sure the DVLA employees are clueless with anything out of the norm unless you are very lucky and get an old hand.

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
We went through a similar hoop before we set off in September and the above is not spot on according to what DVLA at Preston told us but it does depend on which employee you get as few seem to know what they are doing.

We were told they could not issue a new temporary V5 and then they relented after a bit of a confrontation and consultation. They would only issue a temporary V5 containing the information before the up-rate and not with the new rated information.

We travelled with this and got our daughter to post the new one out to us when it finally arrived about 8 weeks later.

Do not take the above as gospel as I am sure the DVLA employees are clueless with anything out of the norm unless you are very lucky and get an old hand.
Quite right, do not take what I said as gospel because I cannot be sure that every DVLA employee in every DVLA office knows what they're talking about.
However, I am not relating a story from a friend of a friend etc, etc.
I actually had to do this personally last May after buying a new motorcycle and having the dealer mess up with the paperwork.
I was planning to go to France a week or two later so had to go to a DVLA office for a Temporary V5 to be issued.
My problem was exacerbated by the fact that I hadn't even been given the green slip on delivery.
DVLA were more than happy to issue the Temp V5 even then but it cost £28 instead of £3 for the privilige.
Perhaps your situation will be different again given the upgrades that you mention but generally, as long as the vehicle and keeper information is current in their Main Frame System, they can issue a Temporary V5.
My advice is to talk to them.
Contrary to popular opinion the local office staff are usually pretty helpful in my experience.

Last edited:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I asked for a temp v5 when I had my van uprated. As far as I remember, it only has the barest if details on it, certainly nothing on there that tells you the vehicle weight or tax class. They can only put that info on the new V5 but check they have done so when you get it back. I had to return mine twice because they hadn't updated the new weight, although the revenue weight was correct
Allan

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi everyone,

we were hoping to have been heading for Spain/Portugal by now but had some last minute hitches which means it going to be 27th December now before we can set off - that is if anyone can enlighten on us on this question.

We have had the van uprated recently (past two weeks) and all documents have been returned except the log book. Can we travel legally without this? We have been given a V5C/2 docket, but we are not planning to sell the van in the near future. Does this cover us? Would we be asked to produce the log book whilst abroad if pulled up. We have tried to look this up in our various guides and travel info, but no luck. So we are making an assumption that it won't be required - but is this wrong.

Many thanks for any guidance

Debbie

Hi I had my last van upgraded and the new V5 didn't take long to arrive so with luck it will arrive, also bear in mind you will only need it if you are pulled up before it can be forwarded on to you . Pete :thumb:

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
If stopped in France or Italy you will certainly have to produce the original documents. I know because I exceeded the speed limit in the St Bernard pass between the two countries and when I came out at the other end I was flagged down by both a French and Italian policeman demanding to see them . They also wanted to see the log book for the trailer and it required the services of an interpreter to convince them that we don't have them in the UK and also that I didn't need an HGV licence to drive a 3.5T motorhome. :Doh:

OP
OP
D

debdabble

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
very new to us
Thank you

Hi and thanks to all of you who took the time to reply.

The log book has arrived, thank heavens. Now we can get on with our planning to get away immediatley after Christmas.

Debbie

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi and thanks to all of you who took the time to reply.

The log book has arrived, thank heavens. Now we can get on with our planning to get away immediatley after Christmas.

Debbie

there you go mine didn't take long either enjoy your trip. Pete :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back