LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Anyone got one and what do you think of it?

Seriously considering having it fitted.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I have the Van-Bitz non-starter alarm, much the same except you are more in control. If the door opens or the batteries are disconnected or the vehicle has an attempt at starting it then your mobile phone will sound alerting you of what has occurred and you then can call the van and listen to any voices if there is someone on board you can also hit the non-starter button to immobilise the vehicle and or watch it in real time on Google maps if it is in motion.

Absolutely brilliant piece of kit.

My insurance company is happy that I have a tracker, I'm happy that I don't have to pay out to a seperate tracking company every year.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I have the Van-Bitz non-starter alarm, much the same except you are more in control. If the door opens or the batteries are disconnected or the vehicle has an attempt at starting it then your mobile phone will sound alerting you of what has occurred and you then can call the van and listen to any voices if there is someone on board you can also hit the non-starter button to immobilise the vehicle and or watch it in real time on Google maps if it is in motion.

Absolutely brilliant piece of kit.

My insurance company is happy that I have a tracker, I'm happy that I don't have to pay out to a seperate tracking company every year.
Thanks for the info LOL I knew this would happen. I only want to know about the Outsmart The Thief kit. Not cost effective for me to go so far down for eddies kit IMO.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Outsmart seems to be the 'go to' alarm of choice for the WildAx Enthusiasts Group on FB...
As far as I can tell, it seems to be recommended. And like VanBitz, the owner [Carl Meyer] appears to take full & personal responsibility for his product and will make himself available if there any problems.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Hi Sandra

We've got an OTT alarm \ tracker fitted by the dealer when we collected our Savannah. In fact renewed the subscription last night. Same reasoning as yourself in respect of the distance to Eddie's.

If you're looking at fitting now it will be an upgraded \ enhanced version of the one we've got. Having said that we've set ours off a few times :)whistle2:) and without fail had a phone call to my mobile within 15 - 20 seconds after it activated.

Only one false alarm in the last five years and it happened to be at around 3 o'clock in the morning!:Eeek: Set off to the storage place and had a couple of calls in transit to advise vehicle hadn't \ wasn't moving. Arrived to find all dubbed up and no issues. Got a further call when I disarmed the alarm and opened the door. They reckoned it was a false alarm due to the batteries not having been replaced in the five years. Meant to be every couple of years.:whistle2:
Website - https://www.606060.com/
Telephone - 07407 606060
Give Karl a call. He's a good guy and will assist with any questions.

Be aware, the system is not Thatcham approved and some insurers won't accept it (including Comfort) albeit it only adds 5% premium to their cost if you say "No tracker fitted". C&MC and (I think) C&CC insurers both accept.

All in all, have been very pleased with it however never been fully tested, and I hope never has to be, in anger. Would say worth the money.

Let me know if any questions.

Where did you get your Benimar from?

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
OTTT is fitted as standard on the make of MH that I own. A few owners who have commented on it in our owners group are very happy with the quick response from the company whenever it is activated, less so with a number of false alarms that seem mainly to be related to internal sensors, and some restrictions on insurers who will accept it.

I asked the converter not to fit it to my van, and arranged to drive it straight down to Vanbitz instead. No regrets here!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've got an alarm, tracker and remote immobiliser from OSTT but fortunately never had to need them in anger. Most false alarms are due to me not disabling the alarm before unlocking! But it has gone off twice when I wasn't anywhere near it. Once I think was a close pass by a big truck shaking it and the other remains unexplained but the company were very quick to call me. Both times occurred in Italy. It was fitted on my drive by the company.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Thanks folk. Just out of curiosity I wonder how much difference there actually is between OSTT and Vanbitz.

Gellyneck had it sent to Marquis at Durham.

Reactions: DBK

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Thanks folk. Just out of curiosity I wonder how much difference there actually is between OSTT and Vanbitz.
Not sure what the spec on the alarm you are looking at is but the type of internal sensor and hard wired door and locker contacts on Strikback are often quoted as setting it apart from a lot of other vehicle alarms... Eddie would be the man to reply
eddievanbitz

Griffithii

Free Member
Oct 12, 2017
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 638EB
Exp
Two years, 5,000 miles, less than 100 nights
Hi, We've got OTTT . We had it fitted on our new vehicle 2 years ago. Very good customer service.Fitted at home, Carl also goes to some shows-he's based in York.
We have sensors on cab, hab and garage doors and motion sensor.Double click to disable motion sensor if sleeping or for "pet" mode.Tracker , phone app and "lockdown" enabling vehicle to be remotely immobilized.
The alarm is loud enough not to be missed but not deafening.
The bike loop came as a separate facility this year when we got a pricy bike.
Never had a false alarm and when we have set it off by mistake we got a very prompt phone call.
Nothing against the popular system often mentioned on the site but travelling to Vanbitz wasn't convenient for us.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
In fact renewed the subscription last night. Same reasoning as yourself in respect of the distance to Eddie's.
This is most likely the reason I'm being put off OSTT now. Having to subscribe yearly v vanbitz no need to subscribe. The subscription saved over 2 years might offset the fuel to Devon. Not too mention the vanbitz funster discount.

A lot to consider when we are so far away. I best keep reading.

Oh isn't it fun doing research!

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
If you have the Vanbitz non-starter, there's a subscription to Metatrak which enables you to use their network to set/unset the immobiliser, track the vehicle location, change the alarm mode etc. through the phone app. It's currently £64.95 a year or a discount for three years up front, which is cheaper than OTTT, but it's self managed rather than "control room" monitoring, although Metatrak will assist in an emergency.

You might notice that I put quotation marks around "control room". I won't say any more than that ;)

NickandClair

Free Member
Apr 30, 2018
Taunton, Somerset
Funster No
MH
The Dark Side!!!!
Exp
Since 2001
Oh isn't it fun doing research!
Hi,
I have attached a link to our comparison chart, which may help in you in your research:

I have also included the link, which also gives you the benefits of having the Non-Starter:

These prices are including VAT and if we have the Forum's discount code at the time of any booking, it will qualify for discount as per the terms displayed on the forum page.
Any other questions, please feel free to contact us.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Outsmart seems to be the 'go to' alarm of choice for the WildAx Enthusiasts Group on FB...
As far as I can tell, it seems to be recommended. And like VanBitz, the owner [Carl Meyer] appears to take full & personal responsibility for his product and will make himself available if there any problems.
And I believe WildAx fit OTT for those who want an alarm on the van they are ordering.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I'm happy that I don't have to pay out to a seperate tracking company every year.
If you have the Vanbitz non-starter, there's a subscription to Metatrak which enables you to use their network to set/unset the immobiliser, track the vehicle location, change the alarm mode etc. through the phone app. It's currently £64.95 a year or a discount for three years up front,
www.vanbitz.com

Its not easy is it? Conflicting info then some key theft thing thrown into the mix...so thats a separate thing altogether or wrong link?

My heads hurting! Im now at @confused.com

NickandClair

Free Member
Apr 30, 2018
Taunton, Somerset
Funster No
MH
The Dark Side!!!!
Exp
Since 2001
Its not easy is it? Conflicting info then some key theft thing thrown into the mix...so thats a separate thing altogether or wrong link?

My heads hurting! Im now at @confused.com

It can be a minefield out there due to the options that are open to you, which is why we put the comparisons chat in place to take away some of that grief.
Promoting the Non-Starter we have done now for some time, but with this new device that can get around the PSA Group of immobilisation (Peugeot/Citroen/Fiat), it makes considering such devices like the Non-Starter more than ever.
The idea behind such equipment is to "Stop the horse from bolting the stable" and adds another layer of protection to your much loved M/H.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Sorry but I still don’t get it. So your paying £1000 for a system then another £500 for a key theft thing?

I don’t know where money grows, but certainly not on trees near me.

I was getting my head around the £1000-100 discount but £1500 is taking the piss for an alarm . :rofl: Andis it subscription based or not? One says yes , one says no so exactly what am I getting for my 1k nickvanbitz.

The sheet you supplied doesn’t really help. Cheers

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
It's not just an alarm. It's a pretty comprehensive vehicle security system. I don't know what your van is worth, but if for instance you've spent £50K on a van, 2 to 3% on top of that to protect your property isn't exactly taking the **** IMHO.
If someone jumps in and says "But it's insured" I'd hazard a guess that they've either never had to make a claim, or they thrive on making their life as stressful as possible :oops:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Sorry but I still don’t get it. So your paying £1000 for a system then another £500 for a key theft thing?
No, you don't have to do either. Strikeback is £549 installed for Motorhome Fun subscribers, for a Thatcham approved motorhome alarm. Tilt sensor under bonnet, two cab doors, caravan door and one external locker physically switched. APC (Accessory Protection Circuit) for exporting the alarm out from the motorhome for bikes, trailer and back boxes, internal LED and External LED (for when the blinds are closed) and bespoke internal protecion, switchable so you can sleep in the motorhome and have the alarm on.

I was getting my head around the £1000-100 discount but £1500 is taking the piss for an alarm . :rofl: Andis it subscription based or not? One says yes , one says no so exactly what am I getting for my 1k nickvanbitz.
Growler is £900 to MHF Subscribers and has all of the above but a number of upgrades, being the loudest most aggressive motorhome alarm on the market. It is much more noticeable as a deterrent and should it be triggered the internal and external siren packs will wake the dead!

The sheet you supplied doesn’t really help. Cheers
The sheet is really only to allow you to compare what our systems offer in comparison to other systems. Our web site would allow you to download the full specification of Strikeback or Growler

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I have the Strikeback... mainly because I'm not convinced of the effectiveness of alarms [however loud they are] because my insurers insisted. There is no ongoing subscription.

However, the fancy bit of kit which I do believe in, is the Metatrak Non StarterMT - which is another £500 [less discount?]... This will stop scroats driving off with your MH, it's not a tracker as such but will tell you where your van is if they low loader it.
After the first year, there is a subscription to this service.

I'm fairly certain OSTT do similar.

irnbru Sandra I think you might be tying yourself up in knots trying to choose the best from two very competent systems at pretty much similar price points. Both will do the job.
OSTT has franchised fitters so can be very convenient to have installation done on your drive...
VanBitz... you could combine installation with a trip to the Taunton area

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
irnbru Sandra I think you might be tying yourself up in knots trying to choose
Absolutely I agree.

Also when it can be done is also a very big issue, we are I believe currently booking mid September before we have a slot, which may help irnbru make up her mind if it has to be done sooner.

I'm off now for the weekend in my camper so I hope that everyone has a fantastic weekend, I hope to

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
you could combine installation with a trip to the Taunton area
That's what I did...and very nice it was as well...but it's not as plesant having to make a return trip if things arnt right... don't get me wrong..back up on phone is first class...but there may be rare occurrences when a return trip is needed...I think that's an issue with having such a long way to go.. and possibly not considered at time of fitting...
Andy..

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
A very difficult choice indeed but after sleeping on it I've decided to give OSTT a try. Ok it might be a little more expensive but I would be out of pocket on a couple of hundred on fuel , not to mention if I had to make a return trip for any reason.

I'm not particularly bothered about it being thatcham or not, It would potentially only save 5% on insurance.

I emailed Carl and asked if there was any groups that he gave a discount to like vanbitz gives to fun. He replied saying since I was a member...
I will also include 2 door contacts normally £78.00 a Panic and Help button worth £69.00 supplied and fitted free of charge.

I think vanbitz includes the door contacts so in my mind its all working out each peachy between the two but saving on time by having it fitted at a very reputable auto electricians right here in Glasgow.

Thanks for all your help folk.

Mar 9, 2015
Heywood, Gtr. Manchester.
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2008
I have OTT and can vouch for the almost instant response via my mobile when I've accidentally set the alarm off. You can also transfer to another motorhome if you change it. I'd paid for 5 years subscription with another company on my last mh and lost 2 years when I changed it after 3 years.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
You can also transfer to another motorhome if you change it. I'd paid for 5 years subscription with another company on my last mh and lost 2 years when I changed it after 3 years.
Thats great Wendy,,,! And you can also just pay the difference between the packages. We are only taking out a 1 year at the moment but at any time we can just pay the difference to up it to the 3 or 5 years if we like which I think is fab.

We had originally been thinking of just renewing the tracking service that came with the van while we spent our money on other things the van needs this year but that was £160 just for the years tracking so doesn't make sense to us, might as well just go the whole hog for the alarm since thats the most important.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back