Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
At the risk of being an 'invisible poster' again,
How come? Do I guess you got temporary suspended for mentioning them? We love our OTT, it is a great piece of kit and customer service is spot on.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Not in this place he wouldn't, you can mention anyone you like.
Thanks for reply. I just wonder why he would be at risk of being an invisible poster again after only joining last week. Now I need to go be nosey. :xrofl:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Thanks for reply. I just wonder why he would be at risk of being an invisible poster again after only joining last week. Now I need to go be nosey. :xrofl:
Sandra, we should just let you stew and listen to you tearing your hair out!:xwink:x:-)
But as it's the season to be jolly :xThumb: think Mike ( Brockley ) is ex Facts where he got "fed-up" and became an invisible poster (ie he didn't!).

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Had my Lockdown system fitted a few days ago.

Great service, quick availability, very contentious installer, an fantastic service on the three times I’ve set it off so far ???

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Do any of these companies charge less for installing on an 'A' Class with no cab door(s)? and/or no garage door? - although that seems to be extra for some.
The cost will normally reflect how many switches are required as each switch has a price of course. There is a price for the basic system then extras add to that, reflecting labour and component costs. That's how OTT work, other suppliers may differ. :)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
The cost will normally reflect how many switches are required as each switch has a price of course. There is a price for the basic system then extras add to that, reflecting labour and component costs. That's how OTT work, other suppliers may differ. :)
Same with Growler John
A basic package, with the option to add extra sensors and exterior LED’s

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Are these Cat 1 alarm systems just a glorified alarm bell. The insurance company told me I had to have one but all I seem to have bought for my £299.00 is a switching alarm siron and blue flashing LED. The anti theft portion still depends on the Fiat key and it's chip. Am I missing something?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Are these Cat 1 alarm systems just a glorified alarm bell. The insurance company told me I had to have one but all I seem to have bought for my £299.00 is a switching alarm siron and blue flashing LED. The anti theft portion still depends on the Fiat key and it's chip. Am I missing something?
There are different types of systems. When ours goes off it calls a control centre and they then ring me on my mobile. They can track the location of the vehicle and remotely disable it if it is being driven away without me inside it. :)
The basic systems are indeed just alarms but a loud internal siren will discourage the ill disposed from lingering. :)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Are the wireless door contacts nice and neat with the Outsmart system?

Martin

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
Looks like we'll fit this system too --Thanks for the advice and information Sandra and Co.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
I’ve just bought a new (to me) van with OTT alarm fitted, my present van has the Growler and non starter, so before I pick it up I’ve had the OTT ripped out and a nice new Growler and non starter put in its place, Happy days??

Sep 28, 2021
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
An old thread but I just wondered if any the people who had OTT systems fitted had any problems with them?

A lot of people on the thread have had good experience with Vanbitz and seem to indicate is cheaper then OTT but from what I can tell it's more expensive.
OTT Lockdown with alarm, immobiliser and tracker is 799 + 99 per year where as Vanbitz with Strikeback and Shadow VTS is about the same £898 but with a yearly charge £170! Then this is an extra £400 for Non starter MT, which I think is a function included in the OTT lockdown system (Stopsafe)

I realise not all of OTT is Thatcham approved, but I am happy with that.

Any comments?

Thanks

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
An old thread but I just wondered if any the people who had OTT systems fitted had any problems with them?

A lot of people on the thread have had good experience with Vanbitz and seem to indicate is cheaper then OTT but from what I can tell it's more expensive.
OTT Lockdown with alarm, immobiliser and tracker is 799 + 99 per year where as Vanbitz with Strikeback and Shadow VTS is about the same £898 but with a yearly charge £170! Then this is an extra £400 for Non starter MT, which I think is a function included in the OTT lockdown system (Stopsafe)

I realise not all of OTT is Thatcham approved, but I am happy with that.

Any comments?

Thanks
The only issue I've experienced was last year when the immobiliser cut in while we were driving and we coasted to a halt with siren wailing away and the 4 flashers doing their thing. I called OTT and they talked me through how to sort it.

We were then able to drive on but there was a warning light on the dashboard to check the engine. It was an orange light so this meant it was an advisory and it was safe to drive. It was OTT who reassured me on this.

The problem it seemed wasn't to do with the OTT system because for some reason, unknown at the time, it detected the electrical system was being interfered with so it went off - as it is supposed to. You don't want an alarm to be disabled just by someone disconnecting the cab battery.

Subsequent investigation suggested the Canbus system had experienced a "moment" when it tried to do a regen on the DPF but a pre-existing fault on an oil level sensor prevented this happening.

The oil sensor was replaced and so far there has been no reoccurrence.

Apr 21, 2008
bedford
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I’ve just bought a new (to me) van with OTT alarm fitted, my present van has the Growler and non starter, so before I pick it up I’ve had the OTT ripped out and a nice new Growler and non starter put in its place, Happy days??
So did I,

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
Wildax offer OTT as an option on all their vans and it seems both very popular with owners and offers excellent Aftersales service. Seems very highly regarded.

Can only comment from others views as we were happy with standard Mercedes alarm and a tracker.

Bill

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We've had OTT fitted for around 6 years with no major issues.
Anytime I've set it off in error I've got a call with 20-30 seconds to enquire if everything was OK.
The only issue was a "false" alarm at 03:30 one morning and it subsequently transpired it was because I'd forgotten to change a battery in one of the sensors (after 5 years)!:doh: They personally monitored the motorhome until I got to storage to ensure it wasn't moved until I got there and confirmed a false alarm.
We lost one of the fobs for the system and Carl spent a good while on the phone with me disabling all the fobs and reinitialising the remaining ones. He then did same when the replacement arrived.
Would have no problem in recommending.
Having said that, I would have considered Vanbitz given their reputation on here however the distance from Scotland to their place was prohibitive.

Apr 21, 2008
bedford
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
why? what makes Vanbitz better in your eyes, is it what you use to?
You don have to change batteries in the sensors, if anyone can fit them it can’t be hard to know how to disable it and when the fiat main dealer had the alarm ringing away he disabled it in a minute, so having had a Vanbitz before so took it out and had it replaced with a growler

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Probably cos even though the toe rags might get into your van and access the OBD then set about trying to override the alarm, even after they have the van looking like this (photo courtesy of SmithsInFrance )
5BDD1B89-A108-482C-B094-60AE6C5F860A.png

They still didn’t get the van, and the nice boys from meta put it all back together….
That’s why some people on here choose the vanbitz alarm and growler! Some prefer other alarms, but myself, I wouldn’t have any other alarm, it’s easy, it works, it’s what I’m used to😊 and I sleep peacefully at night knowing it’s going to be exactly where I left it👍

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Thatcham approval as required by my insurers, for a start. Plus the photo and story in the post above, plus Meta support rather than what appears to be a bloke called Carl -surely OTT a have more than that though, but nobody else seems to mention it

Edit…. The Dealer fit scorpion system and tracker was utterly useless and their customer support was about 0.5% above zero

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back