Lockdown Leccy Musings – your opinions please (1 Viewer)

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
When I designed my van (over 5 years ago) I decided to ‘keep it simple’
It’s based on a 2011 Peugeot Boxer MWB and it does everything I expect of it (she's called Sarah & I love her)

Electrics are:

Single 110ah low height leisure battery (a cheap sealed lead acid one installed by my converter) under the driver’s seat (dimensions in millimetres 354L x 175W x 190H)

Durite 07-727-33 Voltage Sensitive Relay – 12V 140amp for split charging

Victron IP 65 – 10 amp charger for when on EHU (It has a Lithium setting)

For 5 years, it has worked well, my motorhoming is mainly with EHU on campsites for the Isle of Man TT & Classic TT/Manx Grand Prix, paragliding trips to Europe and transporting my toys to Europe for snowboarding, where I stay in a hotel

In addition I do quite a few 2 – 3 day trips without EHU and the battery lasts OK, so no problems

I occasionally go to motorcycle events for more than 3 days, in which case I top up the battery with a small generator (no-one cares about the noise at these events – but I am a considerate generator user)

Question 1

The leisure battery is 5 years old, so as soon as I start using the moho in earnest (fingers crossed it’s only months away), I want to replace it - for peace of mind rather than necessity

What is the best battery to replace it with?

Question 2 (this is just a weird idea that came to me on a rainy afternoon & more for discussion than reality)

If I decided to replace the battery with a100ah Lithium battery, I could charge it on EHU via my existing charger, no problem

To charge the leisure battery whilst travelling, the existing VSR is obviously not going to help, but what if I connected a small inverter to the VSR and plugged the Victron charger into it, would it charge a lithium leisure battery????

Ladies & gentleman, please suggest & discuss.....

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I agree: install a B2B (although I didn't know they came in 'sizes') to charge the Lithium from the engine.
I'd check that your mains charger can treat your proposed battery correctly as not all Lithium are the same. (Same goes for any B2B.)

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
I agree: install a B2B (although I didn't know they came in 'sizes') to charge the Lithium from the engine.
I'd check that your mains charger can treat your proposed battery correctly as not all Lithium are the same. (Same goes for any B2B.)
Yes from 15 to 100amp approximately

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
The VSR/inverter/charger arrangement is equivalent to a 10A B2B, which is definitely at the lower end of B2B capacity. It would take many driving hours to refill a 100Ah lithium battery. I think that's the only downside of what you are proposing. It's not an arrangement you would design in from scratch, but if you already have the VSR and charger installed and running, then the additional small inverter is a reasonable choice.

A 25A Victron IP65 charger would be a big improvement. Alternatively, a 50A B2B would be a good match for a 100Ah lithium battery, and would charge 5 times faster than the 10A charger.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Nasher

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks for all the replies, interesting information, much appreciated

Given that Lithium batteries don't charge if the temperature drops below zero, I figure that Lithium is not really for me - yet

So can anyone suggest a good answer to question 1 - best replacement option for my current 110ah low height leisure battery?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back