Loch Gilphead (1 Viewer)

Apr 12, 2017
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 140
Exp
Currently spending a couple of nights at Loch Gilphead before heading back to east coast - Dundee - but have a couple days spare before doing so. Missus Fraser usually has us well regimented re where we’re heading, places to see, things to do etc but finds herself at a wee bit of a loss re what to do with a couple of spare days on way home. Just wondering if any of the well travelled have any suggestions re the road(s) home? All suggestions gratefully accepted 😀

We made our way down from a stay at Tyndrum, walked bit if Highland Way. We’ve got the bikes with us, enjoy a scenic walk/ cycle, town/ village wise pretty wee places always appeal - enjoyed an hour or two in Inveraray in magnificent sunshine the other day on way here - so if anyone on the road and miles to Dundee has suggestions thanks in advance 😀

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
You're only a stones throw from one of my places in Scotland, the Crinan Canal at Crinan(turn left at Cairnbaan, then there is Inverary Jail which I can recommend, then around the A83 through Arrochar, turn left onto the A82 then up to Inverarnan to The Drovers Inn, the most atmospheric ancient pub you'll find anywhere (y)

OP
OP
I
Apr 12, 2017
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 140
Exp
Thanks Davy, we had a cycle along canal today, Ardishraig then doubled back to Crinan. First pint indoors in donkeys at the hotel there.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
Thanks Davy, we had a cycle along canal today, Ardishraig then doubled back to Crinan. First pint indoors in donkeys at the hotel there.
Once watched them filming an episode of The Vital Spark down at Crinan

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
You could head up to Oban
Nice drive if weather behaves
We are at Grantown on Spay bit showerery just now but good to be out anyway

OP
OP
I
Apr 12, 2017
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 140
Exp
Taken yesterday in beautiful sunshine so not sure how I managed an ‘atmospheric’ shot on my phone! We had no idea it was here, found the plaque to the author up the street too.

Attachments

• 539B548F-2311-42B9-8983-69A04F60153D.jpeg
    539B548F-2311-42B9-8983-69A04F60153D.jpeg
    227.4 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
I
Apr 12, 2017
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 140
Exp
You could head up to Oban
Nice drive if weather behaves
We are at Grantown on Spay bit showerery just now but good to be out anyway
Cheers, have been up to Oban a few times, thinking of heading back across and down so may miss Drovers ☹️ Mrs Fraser mentioning another pub on way down, The Slanj? Weather here today started great then a bit overcast. We were up at Grantown last year just as covid meant we had to leave, hope your enjoying despite the weather 😀

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
Cheers, have been up to Oban a few times, thinking of heading back across and down so may miss Drovers ☹️ Mrs Fraser mentioning another pub on way down, The Slanj? Weather here today started great then a bit overcast. We were up at Grantown last year just as covid meant we had to leave, hope your enjoying despite the weather 😀
The Drovers has got a cult following. The number of times we've sat by the bar having a bite to eat and tourists walk in and more often and not all they can say is Wow! :giggler:

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
I'm just glad to be out and about
I got grounded last year even before covid kicked in
All seems fine know though
Lots of drugs courtesy NHS (y)

OP
OP
I
Apr 12, 2017
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 140
Exp
I'm just glad to be out and about
I got grounded last year even before covid kicked in
All seems fine know though
Lots of drugs courtesy NHS (y)
Missus works in NHS, enjoying a well earned break just now. Lovely night here, just back from a wee walk out and about.

Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
Loch Gilphead, a lovely place with a very good charity shop which was raising funds for Bosnia, I seem to remember.
Unfortunately, I have bad memories of our stay in Loch Gilphead. We met-up with friends who live in the town and they recommended we park in a small car park behind their apartment. They stood and watched as I manoeuvred into a tight space and promptly reversed into a low stone wall that cracked the plastic trim. The only mishap I’ve ever had in 22 years of driving motorhomes and it had to be witnessed by friends. The embarrassment was almost unbearable. They remind me of the incident every time I see them. It would have been more helpful if they had stopped me before I hit the wall!

OP
OP
I
Apr 12, 2017
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 140
Exp
Loch Gilphead, a lovely place with a very good charity shop which was raising funds for Bosnia, I seem to remember.
Unfortunately, I have bad memories of our stay in Loch Gilphead. We met-up with friends who live in the town and they recommended we park in a small car park behind their apartment. They stood and watched as I manoeuvred into a tight space and promptly reversed into a low stone wall that cracked the plastic trim. The only mishap I’ve ever had in 22 years of driving motorhomes and it had to be witnessed by friends. The embarrassment was almost unbearable. They remind me of the incident every time I see them. It would have been more helpful if they had stopped me before I hit the wall!
Bit like my wee nephew - not so wee now! - who was in the car when I was stopped for speeding in Arbroath telling me the police always sat with the gun at that spot!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back