Location of handbrake adjuster on Carthago Chic C-Line. (1 Viewer)

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
We have a Carthago Chic C-Line. The handbrake is lifting too far and fouling the drivers seat when it is turned. I suspect the cable a stretched and simply needs adjustment. I have a bad back and want to go straight to the adjuster not have to go searching. From which side should I enter and how far back. Thanks in advance for your help.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If it's Fiat-based it is in the centre of the chassis approx. half way between the handbrake lever and the rear axle.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Have a look here: http://www.fiatforum.com/ducato/226607-how-do-you-adjust-ducato-handbrake.html

But do take care if you do it yourself, had mine done by a recommended mobile mechanic, it subsequently failed the MOT and when it went into a Fiat Professional garage they discovered that the shoes had been adjusted too close to the drum which cooked the shoes. Replacement ones were circa £250.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
I have a Carthago and had the rear parking brakes adjusted by a garage dealing with Fiats. Big mistake, on first trip out the rear parking brakes nearly caught fire after 15 miles.

I had to crawl under the van and loosen off the central brake adjuster just in front of the rear axle.

The correct procedure is to first of all adjust the brake shoes on the rear hubs and only then, take the slack out of the cable using the central adjuster.

Then roadtest to make sure the rear hubs are staying cool.

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
@Wagoneer . Thanks for the advice. Mine has disk brakes on the rear so do I still need to adjust them?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Cable adjustment is exactly that, to take slack out of the cable, it is not for adjusting rear parking brake. or improving brake performance.

People who use the cable to try and improve brakes invariably upset the whole system preventing correct operation and self adjustments where fitted
Wagoner was almost right.
1. Release cables to very slack to make sure ther'e having absolutely no effect on rear brakes shoes or calipers
2. Re set rear shoes /calipers or some even have both, to correct positions
3. Then take out cable slack, avoid causing any movement or binding at rear wheels by over tightening cable
Sorry to sound up my own backside BUT if you need to ask how? or dont understand the various braking systems should you be doing DIY brakes.
The most Important message in this post is the bold top line

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks Lenny. I have just scrabbled around to have a look but have decided that I can't really and safely raise the van to allow good access so it's off the the garage. Another assault on my thinning wallet :(:cry:.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back