Loading a motorbike in a garage. (1 Viewer)

talaris

Free Member
Aug 17, 2012
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class Dethleffs
Exp
since 2011
Looking to load a smallish motorbike in a garage. The fiamma carry moto seems to be up to the job of holding it secure but how do you get yours in. Backwards or forwards and do you have someone in the garage pulling it in. Probably quite easy in practice but new to all this so any advice welcome.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Hi talaris
I dont personally load a motorbike in a garage but would think its easier to go in bars first. seen many people do this with a ramp.

check your axle loading though as too much weight behind the axle will be a problem

Upvote 0

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I always load mine bars first. I pushed it into a Garage with only one door at first, that was hard work.

This Geist with identical doors both sides makes putting it in so much easier and lashing it or strapping it down is now a doddle.

I also use a short scaffold plank which doubles as extra support to my levelling ramps.
:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jun 11, 2022
Walthamstow, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam Zefiro675
Exp
Since 2021
Can you load the bike by yourself? Or is it a 2 person job? I’m looking at getting a 135kg scooter and storing it in the garage of the Motorhome using the Fiamma Carry Moto Pro ramp. Would I need the help of a winch, or can I safely use the bike’s throttle to assist me to get it up and down the ramp?

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Can you load the bike by yourself? Or is it a 2 person job? I’m looking at getting a 135kg scooter and storing it in the garage of the Motorhome using the Fiamma Carry Moto Pro ramp. Would I need the help of a winch, or can I safely use the bike’s throttle to assist me to get it up and down the ramp?
I load a 125 scooter up a ramp on the throttle and it's dead easy, drive it through to a rock n roll wheel clamp and it stands up while I tie it down, a proper clutch would be different and might require a push depending on the weight of the bike height of garage floor etc etc, another good argument for air suspension that you can drop down.

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
I push it up a ramp, bars first, into a front wheel support at the far end of the garage. It is only 80kg though (Lexmoto Electric)

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
In the old van I would occasionally ride it in using the ducking your head out of the way technique. Much easier to be off the bike and use throttle
98kgs of Suzuki address.

If it has to come out the way it went in it sometimes needs steering and mine is easy enough to pick up and realign

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
My K1600GTL was a pig to get into the garage. ( the garage at home let alone a Moho garage😆)

1654952522395.png

Upvote 0

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Looking to load a smallish motorbike in a garage. The fiamma carry moto seems to be up to the job of holding it secure but how do you get yours in. Backwards or forwards and do you have someone in the garage pulling it in. Probably quite easy in practice but new to all this so any advice welcome.
Hi Talaris,

Have a carry moto for sale if interested?

Pm for chat.

Upvote 0
Jun 26, 2018
North West
Funster No
MH
Florium Wincester
Exp
Europe & USA since April '21
Like this:

Started with normal wheel chock added a few bits to it. Then added ally runners onto plate. Locks into place, with a spring pin and two locating bolts. Wheels are from 'my little pony roller skates believe it or not!!

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Like this:

Started with normal wheel chock added a few bits to it. Then added ally runners onto plate. Locks into place, with a spring pin and two locating bolts. Wheels are from 'my little pony roller skates believe it or not!!

Im loving that as a solution, it solves the stage of trying to keep the scooter upright while you climb in to get it to the chock.

No reason why you couldnt also fit a winch to it for heavier machines

Reactions: Vic
Upvote 0
Jun 26, 2018
North West
Funster No
MH
Florium Wincester
Exp
Europe & USA since April '21
Yes did think about that so left room. What started out was a trip to pick up the motorhome when we bought it. We went on the Vespa and struggled to get it into the garage. Foolishly there was no room in the scooter for a ramp.

Even with the ramp and two doors, it was always a struggle keeping the handlebars straight.

Upvote 0

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I did wonder when Popeye changed to a Geist though

I had my Geist Silver Spirit from 2011 until 2015, twas then that I changed to the Frankia Platin Plus which made loading even easier with it's huge tailgate!

Upvote 0

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Yer but, yer but, the question was asked again even though it was against an old thread, I did wonder when Popeye changed to a Geist though;)
Your Geist is as good as mine 🤣I remember him getting the Frankia first time out and caught the fence at Corfe Castle Mrs Popeye was not happy.

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
Use a ramp, drive in in keeping head low, if possible open other side garage door in case of overshooting. Can be hairy.

Upvote 0

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Use a ramp, drive in in keeping head low, if possible open other side garage door in case of overshooting. Can be hairy.
Drive in?? Not with mine, the bars are about 8mm off the roof, oh and I shove it up the ramp (with the rear air lowered😉) it’s a little heavy but manageable👍👍😁

Upvote 1

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
TBH I could do with a scooter system in place in my garage, all I’ve got is a plank of wood and lean it on the side and strap it down, should I pony up and get a proper system like the fiamma thingy? Wot is it, I’ll have to Google it, or shall I just put a drive in front wheel chock and keep the plank?🤔🤔

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
TBH I could do with a scooter system in place in my garage, all I’ve got is a plank of wood and lean it on the side and strap it down, should I pony up and get a proper system like the fiamma thingy? Wot is it, I’ll have to Google it, or shall I just put a drive in front wheel chock and keep the plank?🤔🤔
Seriously if you thinking of continuing the attack on Balkan mountain passes it woul probably be a good idea to have something to stop the front wheel being able to slide sideways. I use a chock similar to the one in the video and a strap from each handlebar grip to a lashing point in the floor - like a big X ( not a kiss btw☺)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back