Jul 7, 2021
Alcester, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Symbol
Exp
Since 2009
I am a little annoyed by LNB toolbars.

A couple of weeks ago I booked a slot for a toolbar fitting and paid a £200 deposit. They couldnt give me an appointment till January.

They are quite a long way away and today I discovered a firm only 10 miles away who could fit the same item.

I asked LNB if I could cancel the booking but was informed that the deposit is non-returnable.

I think this is unreasonable because it is a month till my appointment.

They also confirmed that this is a stock item and they dont need to order it in.

I realise that this is probably in their small print T&Cs but it leaves me feeling resentful that I have to drive 100 miles for an 8am appointment.

Although I am sure they are within their rights, I think they are being unreasonable

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I am afraid you accepted their terms when you paid your deposit.

It is not unreasonable IMHO to keep a deposit if customer cancels. It is after all, what they are for.

Edited as like a dunce, I missed the £200 bit and yes, it is unreasonable.

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Just to be clear? are we talking a towbar or an A frame for a toad? Seems an excessive amount for a deposit, especially as it does not need ordering in specially for a particular vehicle

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
drpeej
Jul 7, 2021
Alcester, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Symbol
Exp
Since 2009
I am afraid you accepted their terms when you paid your deposit.

It is not unreasonable IMHO to keep a deposit if customer cancels. It is after all, what they are for.
As I clearly said I am aware of all that. I just feel it is unreasonable in a situation where they have suffered no loss at all. £50 may have been reasonable to cover administrative costs but £200 is a lot.

OP
OP
drpeej
Jul 7, 2021
Alcester, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Symbol
Exp
Since 2009
Just to be clear? are we talking a towbar or an A frame for a toad? Seems an excessive amount for a deposit, especially as it does not need ordering in specially for a particular vehicle
Neither. Its a Memo Van-star bike rack. They keep them in stock.

I was led to believe by Memo that only their approved dealers could supply it but this isnt actually the case.

I realise it's my fault but it leaves me as a rather unhappy customer which I think is their loss in the long term

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I was led to believe by Memo that only their approved dealers could supply it but this isnt actually the case.
Very annoying.
I'm not qualified to comment with any authority but it seems that maybe the order was obtained by deception IF anyone can supply and fit their racks.

2d.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
As I clearly said I am aware of all that. I just feel it is unreasonable in a situation where they have suffered no loss at all. £50 may have been reasonable to cover administrative costs but £200 is a lot.

Oh, I must have missed the £200 bit, apologies. That does seem a lot, and yes, does go into unreasonable.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
I think Towsure are also dealers, when I wanted a Chasis mounted scooter rack Alko found a Memo rack at Towsure . Bought it and fitted it myself. You almost needed a crane to lift it when it arrived !!

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
hopefully paid by credit card!

if so contact them and explain issue get then to claw back the deposit.

if >£100 and <£30,000 then section 75 applies if credit card used.

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
Neither. Its a Memo Van-star bike rack. They keep them in stock.

I realise it's my fault but it leaves me as a rather unhappy customer which I think is their loss in the long term
When you do get it fitted, check the condition of the paint finish on the VanStar very carefully. The powder coat on ours started to bubble and peel off after about 9 months of light use. I'm having a hell of a job to get the parts replace by LNB. They've apparently gone back to Memo and taken my rack to over to Holland to be examined. From what I'm told there have been a few cases of poor paint finish on VanStars and VanSwings?? Apparently they have the replacement bar in the warehouse in Bristol now, but can't refit my rack until January. I'm still waiting to see what bits they are going to replace. It's an expensive bit of kit, and I would have expected better from both LNB and Memo.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
LNB are local to us. I‘ve asked them for quotes for several items, they have always returned the most expensive so left it at that. Several weeks later, after asking for one particular quote, I had another email asking if I wanted to take them up on their quote.

I replied it was several hundred pounds more than two other companies I’d asked for quotes for the same work / products. The tone of the email reply to that was ‘if you want the best, you have to pay’. I pointed out the other two companies have the same review scores and are far cheaper……..no reply.

Never been to their premises, had no work done by them, but my experience means I won’t be using them for any work.

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
LNB are local to us. I‘ve asked them for quotes for several items, they have always returned the most expensive so left it at that. Several weeks later, after asking for one particular quote, I had another email asking if I wanted to take them up on their quote.

I replied it was several hundred pounds more than two other companies I’d asked for quotes for the same work / products. The tone of the email reply to that was ‘if you want the best, you have to pay’. I pointed out the other two companies have the same review scores and are far cheaper……..no reply.

Never been to their premises, had no work done by them, but my experience means I won’t be using them for any work.
We used them as they're only a few minutes from us which mitigated the cost difference. But.............rather than the service I'd expect from a company with the 'If you want the best......' attitude I feel like I've had a service where they will bend over backwards until they have your money, and then they're not interested when there's a problem. As I said in my previous post, I expected better - I've been disappointed and irritated!

OP
OP
drpeej
Jul 7, 2021
Alcester, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Symbol
Exp
Since 2009
All these comments reinforce my view that they are being very shortsighted. The negative public posts must have potentially cost them £200 already

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
All these comments reinforce my view that they are being very shortsighted. The negative public posts must have potentially cost them £200 already
Spoke to them at the NEC one year, offered me £100 off (show price :ROFLMAO: ) about £2000’s worth of work.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
How did you agree to the T&Cs, did they send an email before you paid the deposit with them?
they dont have them listed on the website , so must have to send them you pre contract agreement

Jul 10, 2018
Worcester(U.K)
Funster No
MH
Tamar Ducato160multi
Exp
20211207_205723.jpg

OP
OP
drpeej
Jul 7, 2021
Alcester, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Symbol
Exp
Since 2009
How did you agree to the T&Cs, did they send an email before you paid the deposit with them?
they dont have them listed on the website , so must have to send them you pre contract agreement
No. I have checked all my emails and post. I didn't even have a receipt for the deposit I paid.

OP
OP
drpeej
Jul 7, 2021
Alcester, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Symbol
Exp
Since 2009
When you do get it fitted, check the condition of the paint finish on the VanStar very carefully. The powder coat on ours started to bubble and peel off after about 9 months of light use. I'm having a hell of a job to get the parts replace by LNB. They've apparently gone back to Memo and taken my rack to over to Holland to be examined. From what I'm told there have been a few cases of poor paint finish on VanStars and VanSwings?? Apparently they have the replacement bar in the warehouse in Bristol now, but can't refit my rack until January. I'm still waiting to see what bits they are going to replace. It's an expensive bit of kit, and I would have expected better from both LNB and Memo.
Interesting. Paint problems aside - what do you think of the VanStar?

Dec 8, 2021
South Hams
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Comanche
Exp
20 + years

i could
never describe their work as the best and they are arrogant bullish and not very competent so you had a lucky escape

Dec 8, 2021
South Hams
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Comanche
Exp
20 + years
We used them as they're only a few minutes from us which mitigated the cost difference. But.............rather than the service I'd expect from a company with the 'If you want the best......' attitude I feel like I've had a service where they will bend over backwards until they have your money, and then they're not interested when there's a problem. As I said in my previous post, I expected better - I've been disappointed and irritated!
100% accurate

Dec 8, 2021
South Hams
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Comanche
Exp
20 + years
No. I have checked all my emails and post. I didn't even have a receipt for the deposit I paid.
then its not enforceable so I would contact the consumer advice service and follow their advice you must be told in advance of paying it its non refundable and as already said it has to be a reasonable amount https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/G...aigns/ncw15/ncw15-Consumerinformationnote.pdf

OP
OP
drpeej
Jul 7, 2021
Alcester, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Symbol
Exp
Since 2009
OP
OP
drpeej
Jul 7, 2021
Alcester, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Symbol
Exp
Since 2009

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
no contract then if you erent informed the deposit was non refundable
Get in touch with your credit card company possible full refund.

It may be worth your while telling them waht you are going to do as they may just refunde right away, BUT if you file a dispute with your credit/debit card company they will deal with it instead.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back