Lancer165

Free Member
Aug 29, 2010
Port Talbot
Funster No
MH
Seeking
Exp
Good post Lancer , welcome to the forum ..

you seem to have thought it though and worked out most of the practicalities, now all you have to do is try it out, then and only then will you know if it's for you .... or not ..

The only comment I have is that yes, you can choose your neighbours but only for 28days at a time unless you book into a long term or seasonal site which is fine for winter. For us the constant moving became tiring and we never had any roots and when we became friendly with others it was only for a short time until they or us had to move on..

Of course we are all different, being nomadic suits some .. others not , good luck and keep us posted with your progress

safe travels :Smile:

Thanks for the welcome Jim:thumb:
We are at present enjoying the caravan and find that returning to the house is a burden we could do without as when we are away we worry if it been vandalised or has some clown squatted in it.:Angry:
Yes I agree with you it will only be after we have tried full timing that we will know for sure, but I think that as long as you and your partner are prepared to be together all the time (well she hasn’t murdered me yet after umpteen years of marriage) we should survive.
Being Ex forces we were used to upping roots every three years or eighteen months so it’s back to our nomadic days.
Another way to look at it is that your roots are where your loved one is and if she’s with you, you’ll never be lonely or bored.:smalllove:
Lancer

MuOne

Free Member
Oct 1, 2010
New Zealand
Funster No
Exp
Full-time Living...Dream or NOT?

Hi all. This is my first post and it looks to be a long one as I also share a bit of myself here.

I stumbled upon this site because I was looking for UK sites on motorhomes since I want to go to UK to acquire a motorhome and use it to move around in Europe and to other parts of the connectible landmass that allows my driving over. I thought a good way was to get information from people who should know better and hence, this forum.

Thanks, Jim for asking this question that led to this long and interesting thread, which I have enjoyed and it being quite the reason for me to join this forum since I like the vibes of those who have posted in very earnest and profound manners. Thank you all as well.

I thought I'd share my bit of how I perceive a "Full Timer" to be.

This can get quite long as I am starting to let my little story and perhaps inspiration or just plain information unfold for those who may benefit from reading it.

I have been an "on-the-road" full-timer " the last 6 years and counting, away from what I would call "base-camp" in Christchurch, New Zealand. I've been moving a little across the globe through parts of Europe, North America and Asia a few times over back and forth.

I maintain a piece of 10-acre dirt and pad which is tenanted out, a place I can go back to anytime if desired (not needed). In the meantime, being on the road is just my way of life and enjoying it with no "end-time" in mind. My passion is variety and diversity, more so with human interaction rather than sightseeing.

I'm 45, think ageless but move like a 27. I had stumbled upon retirement via circumstances as a result of immigrating to New Zealand when I was 29. Sold everything and dropped the remainder of what I had accumulated and built up till then, thinking life could be less of a rat-race if I had moved to down-under paradise they called the "land of the long white cloud" a.k.a. New Zealand. That was to be the best decision I had ever made that led me to where I am.

Well, what I also found out was that I could afford to not work for money alone anymore. I could choose to do things for no money or anything tangible. I soon became an advocate for sharing things "beyond" money. That came as a wonderful surprise when it did but it had taken me the first 2 years to get used to it. Those first 2 years of my so-called retirement seemed difficult not only for people whom I had met to comprehend but even for myself as I was really not used to NOT having an "active" income, so to say.

Ok, I feel like I'm writing an article here, but I'm just enjoying myself typing away. Hope you don't mind. Feel free to drop away from my post. It is just a short story, or an amusement for some, I hope.

I went about enjoying my new home, getting involved the way I knew how by acquiring a few properties to rent out, investing a little here and there, playing with new toys I had never thought I would encounter, and most of all I had learned the meaning of endless exploration and learning, which I will forever apply. I suddenly realised that, in retirement I had yearned for more hours in each day than when I was working in a "career". The difference was that I had more say in how I would use those hours than ever before. It did wonders for my personal growth, that I can tell anyone on all levels.

To make a long story short, after 10 years of doing that, I had evolved into a minimalist. I had since relinquished all properties except one 10-acre property that I had designed and built a house on, and also experimented on permaculture and sustainability. I even got rid of all bulky chattels and enjoyed an almost empty house with no TV but a few useful appliances.

I had gone from accumulating properties and life skills to relinquishing properties and sharing life skills with people who have time to sit with me a bit.

In 2004, I reluctantly rented out the house, bought a motorhome and travelled around NZ. Had since changed to a 30-foot caravan but also since decided that it was not my style to tow something behind me. I still prefer the compactness of a motorhome.

I realised I had become what you might call a full-timer but modified to suit prevailing situations that I had landed myself in. I sold the caravan and started living from place to place within New Zealand and then overseas, equipped with a backpack and a daypack, moving across continents.

The USUAL question that I receive from people about my lifestyle is, "How do you afford it?" The secret lies in one's mindset. How one perceives life has got everything to do with how one gets on in life, that much I am saying.

I discovered from looking at my bank account that it had grown in size much more when I was on the road than when I had stayed put in one place. While travelling, I would avail myself to volunteer with just about anyone that interests me at the time. My main exchange usually results in the form of me providing my time, effort and whatever skills that I have collected over time for shelter, meals and wonderful company which often lead to great friendship around the world. Once in a while, entities I meet may offer me money for what they want in terms of what I may offer. To me, it does not really matter as it is joyful (mutual) exchange that I am after. For me, everyone should come out benefitting.

I can safely say I now feel at "home" in many places and I don't have to be concerned about finding a place to stay or live. I feel I am with family at those places. For me, it is a matter of where I want to be. I would propose that those who want to be assured of a greater quality of life begin by not thinking ONLY about how much money is enough for one to sustain life but how much health and "useful" life skills one can master. Success comes to those who know how to "balance" them to suit.

Like some members of this forum have already tasted it and mentioned in their posts, one truly only experiences life by "dealing" with the moment rather than OVERLY worrying about it before it even manifests, if ever.

Cheers
MuOne :Smile:

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Our first experience of fulltiming was talking to a couple from New Zealand.

We bought their motorhome. They told us they had bought it in Germany, brought it to the UK to register, tax etc, then they had driven around Spain, Portugal etc in it until their money pot started to run low.

They then returned to the UK and had got jobs selling gas supplies for Eastern Electricity. At a combined income of £14 per hour they saved up another pot of £6000 and then sold the motorhome making another £3000 profit, we were happy about this as we had bought a super motorhome at a great price.

They were now planning to repeat the system but this time explore Iceland etc. I said to them that £6000 would not last long and was amazed when they said it would easily last 6 months or more.

They had a life plan and this is what I would advise any fulltimer to do, have a plan. We fulltimed for two years and got talked out of it by a so called "friend" with a great idea and a lovely cottage for not a lot of rent. The rent is cheaper than campsites. But we feel we have lost so much of a great life we had been cultivating and will be returning to it, possibly sooner rather than later :Smile::Smile:

stew

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Hi MuOne!

Having read ypur post i feel like i've given birth to the same kind of person! My son Yannick is just acting the same ! I can't say right now that he is going to travel the world that way all his life . He's only 25 and will probably settle one day or the other , take some time to have a family as i know he wants to have children but no doubt he will tell them about the beauties of the world and of its people.

I have to update the thread i've started about his travels as many things happened since the last post.

Anyway didn't find your post boring at all::bigsmile: but still there's a question i keep in mind: what will you do when not physically able to manage anymore with sharing tasks wherever your feet (wheels) drive you? will you be able to come back to a settled life?

I would like very much myself to full time (don't have any motorhome at the mo but intend to get one at least to have a go as soon as i can) and realised i would have to have as well a place of my own .... just in case....No one knows what's around the corner...

BTW thanks Jim for opening that thread i did learn a lot!!!:Smile:

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

MuOne

Free Member
Oct 1, 2010
New Zealand
Funster No
Exp
Motorhome only a means to Full-time Lifestyle

Hi Frankie, go "full-time" and enjoy whilst you make it last and you plan as far as you can see ahead. Beyond that, no one knows except for you to act in the moment whenever that moment presents itself for you.

I see the motorhome only as a means of transport and independence it provides in moving from point to point or just having my own space parked at someone's property. As my reason for travelling is more to interact with people, I may actually use the motorhome parked and lived in more than driving around when I spend time doing things with people where I land.

To answer your question of whether I would settle down or not move as much if/when I am "limited" somehow, I'd have to say it depends on how limited I become.

If I should become a "vegetable", then of course I won't know what that would mean. But if I am still sharp mentally but limited physically, that is still a strong asset to get around with since I still have a great tool to share with others. I believe, with that I will still be moving around with the physical help from friends everywhere.

We have so much to offer others, much more than we need from others.

I encourage taking "fun" to different levels all the time.::bigsmile:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I see the motorhome only as a means of transport and independence it provides in moving from point to point or just having my own space parked at someone's property.

Exactly.. the MH is a means to an end, rather than an end in it'self .. this is where I think people grab the wrong end of the stick .. they enjoy mororhoming and believe it can be an end in it'self .. a 'dream'... and it can't be.. ... well, not indefinitely.

If you enjoy touring for touring's sake it is the wrong reason for going full time..

Full time in whatever guise is a way of life .. I don't believe it is suitable for families with school age kids .. they need much more than what any parent can provide alone.. the need to mix and learn from their peers.. bumps and all... taking them away to try to shelter them is doing them no good, it's like raising a plant in a greenhouse then expecting it to survive when you plant outside .. and how many parents have the skills and time to devote to teaching a teenager higher education .

Down through the decades it people have rebelled against society , hippies, new age travellers , etc, all thought they had the utopian plan .. freedom .. no, ... different yes.. but where are they today ? Probably reading this and planning to go full time.. :winky:

Barky-Bill

Free Member
Jul 6, 2010
Leigh On Sea
Funster No
MH
ITINEO CD720 A Class
Exp
On and off all my life
This has been a fascinating and educational thread to read, I had a small VW camper and the best times I've had on holiday were in that van. OH and me have been talking about full timing for a couple of years now, I am sure we will go in the not too distant future but we have elderly parent commitments at the mo.

We are both in our early 50's and whilst I have a well paid job our lives feel meaningless and we do not like where we live, moving and taking a larger mortgage is not an option, so selling up, taking our equity and buying a large MH looks favorite.

Thanks for starting this thread and what I have taken away from it is a lot of good advice :thumb:

One comment I would make, is that there seems to be a lot of people who are obsessed by bricks and mortar and the perceived security that gives, the reality is, in the late 80's, when we had small children living at home, I lost my job in the recession and ultimately we lost our house. Although we now have another millstone around our necks, the need for a lifestyle change is great.

Everyone's needs and wants are different in this world, so advice and food for thought should be gratefully accepted, opinions however, keep to yourself!

A lot of the stories on here are inspiring and for me the good seems to outweigh the bad so If anyone's intention was to put me off selling everything and going, IT DIDN'T WORK !!

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Having recently passed the 2 year mark I can say I am living my dream or very close to it. There are a few niggles which will be resolved over the next few months but the lifestyle itself suites me down to the ground.

I sold my house after a year fulltiming as it had become a millstone around my neck and I expected to have that sinking feeling when it went, I didn't and still don't. Getting rid of the house was the best thing I did after going fulltiming and I don't have the slightest regret.

I live far cheaper now than I ever could in my house. I think this may have been different if I didn't have a mortgage.

I have more friends now that I am fulltiming, I have a better social life, I have less worries (I still have a few) I have lots more free time, I am financially better off and I enjoy my work now.

I accept that fulltiming is not for everyone, but if it suites you then it can be like living a dream.

I have gone very minimalist, maybe not quite as much as JJ :winky: as I do have a grey tank and wastehog ::bigsmile: but my quality of life improves the more stuff I get rid of.

I am currently saving for a newer van which I will also self build. I will be touring europe for a few years. Learning French and maybe a few other languages. I have always wanted to write a book or two and will now have time. I also do some consultancy work but only if the job interests me. I am going to buy a small travel guitar and start learning again. I will be starting again with my photography hobby.

As my hobbies are very cheap, my lifestyle is fairly minimal and I can earn a bit of money easily I am now much much happier than when I had a large business and all the toys.

I must admit however I went through a rough spot about 18 months in and was ready to throw in the towel. However this passed and after the fact I realised that I had rough spots like that living a traditional lifestyle 2-3 times a year. The next time I hit a rough spot I will see it as a challenge not a problem that has to be overcome in order to stop me going back to my bricks and mortar prison cell :thumb:

Anyway, big waffle there sorry. If it suites you it can be a fantastic life style. Don't listen to the really negative people and don't listen to the people who sing about it as though there are no problems. There are many ways to do it and providing you are suited to the lifestyle and pick the correct way it can be fantastic.

Karl

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We are both in our early 50's and whilst I have a well paid job our lives feel meaningless and we do not like where we live, moving and taking a larger mortgage is not an option, so selling up, taking our equity and buying a large MH looks favorite.

One comment I would make, is that there seems to be a lot of people who are obsessed by bricks and mortar and the perceived security that gives

Originally posted by Karl
I live far cheaper now than I ever could in my house. I think this may have been different if I didn't have a mortgage.

, I am financially better off and I enjoy my work now.

The next time I hit a rough spot I will see it as a challenge not a problem that has to be overcome in order to stop me going back to my bricks and mortar prison cell :thumb:

Karl

By pulling out these quotes , i see it as ...
if you lived in a nice area , had no mortgage or a small mortgage , then maybe things would have been different and the need to full time may not have been so strong.

Each to their own and its only my opinion but id rather use our equity to buy a small house ( with a nice garden ) to retire in , and put the rest in the bank and still have our motorhome to go off in.
Cos lets face it a house would still have more space for family get togethers than a motorhome how ever small it was .
I don't see a house as a millstone round my neck . I see it as a home where the kids can come back to visit with the grandchildren years down the line. Somewhere to feel safe and secure in when we are old .

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Nope, If the house had been paid off I would have then had more choice. I could have rented it out and not worried if it was empty Or I could have taken the money and either bought a better motorhome or worked less for the next 10 years.

The house was very nice and in a good area. Other than a neighbours dog which barked a bit much for my liking I was as happy with a house as I could have been.

I started wanting to go fulltiming back in 2005 which is why I bought my first motorhome.

I am financially better off now because my outgoings have dropped through the floor and I am happier with my work because I am not working my tits off for nothing and no longer have to worry about staff or business etc.
I now choose how much to work and when instead of being forced to work 7 days.....

The need to fulltime would have been no different with me. I was fed up with the rat race and wanted a simpler life. Fulltiming has allowed me to do this.

I am currently sat on a hard standing looking over a beautiful view of the Lincolnshire Wolds trying to decide whether to have walk to the pub or do a little work. I still haven't decided what I want to do tomorrow and I probably won't until 2 seconds before I do it.

Barky-Bill

Free Member
Jul 6, 2010
Leigh On Sea
Funster No
MH
ITINEO CD720 A Class
Exp
On and off all my life
By pulling out these quotes , i see it as ...
if you lived in a nice area , had no mortgage or a small mortgage , then maybe things would have been different and the need to full time may not have been so strong.

Each to their own and its only my opinion but id rather use our equity to buy a small house ( with a nice garden ) to retire in , and put the rest in the bank and still have our motorhome to go off in.
Cos lets face it a house would still have more space for family get togethers than a motorhome how ever small it was .
I don't see a house as a millstone round my neck . I see it as a home where the kids can come back to visit with the grandchildren years down the line. Somewhere to feel safe and secure in when we are old .

If you can tell me where I can buy a small house, in a nice area, (in the south west, (with a nice garden) and a motorhome all for about £60K of equity, I would probably go for it!

However as this is unlikely my choices are somewhat more limited, no offense, but this is what I meant about opinions, you are basing yours on your own financial situation, many of us are not so lucky.

:restmycase:

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
Graham and I are always dreaming of the time when we can "live the dream", which for us means we can go off travelling to where we want, when ever we want with no time scale attached to rush back to work or school. We would like to sell the house we are in, and originally the idea was to buy two houses and rent them out so that we had a base to come back to and one also that would be for Emily, now been put off renting by the state of some rentals that we clean being trashed!! So an apartment is another option. This of course wont happen until Emily has left school and maybe gone to Uni. We all know when we are away life looks rosy and we never want to come home, but when them rose coloured spectacles start to lose their shine, home is where we really want to be if only for a few weeks.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
If you can tell me where I can buy a small house, in a nice area, (in the south west, (with a nice garden) and a motorhome all for about £60K of equity, I would probably go for it!

However as this is unlikely my choices are somewhat more limited, no offense, but this is what I meant about opinions, you are basing yours on your own financial situation, many of us are not so lucky.

:restmycase:

Sorry if i came across as a bit " let them eat cake " in my reply. It wasn't intentional.:Blush:
As you say it was my opinion based on our situation, if we were to sell up now .

Saying that , a lot could happen with our situation , between now and the next 20 years when we retire.

But our plan is to travel like Dale , for a few months at a time . Go to Spain for the winter like some of the funsters do , and go back to our home for our British summer.

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Its still stalemate here. Mrs D says she would full time but refuses to rent the house out. I want to go tomorrow!

I just wish there was an easy way to find a nice respectable couple or family we know we could trust to rent our house for a year or three then perhaps I could convince her.

One option I am seriously considering now is selling the house and living off the interest which would probably be the same as the rent if we rented it out but without the hassle. It could work in my favour as house prices may well go down more or it could spell disaster if they suddenly go up.

We are off on yet another long trip across Europe this summer. Hopefully this time we might come back with a plan but I suspect not!

Does anyone on here who is well behaved and trustworthy want to rent a 200 year old 3 bed Cottage in a small hamlet in Teesdale. Michelin Restaurant and pub 100 yards away, Barnard Castle and Richmond 5 min away, Lake District 45 min. A1M 10min? Ill do a Funsters Discount!

Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
This is a great thread, definitely required reading if you've ever day dreamed "What if".

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
This is a great thread, definitely required reading if you've ever day dreamed "What if".

I agree! And all I can say is, to anyone Full Timing, to quote Rudyard Kipling , "You are a braver man than I am Gunga Din":thumb:

carsan

Free Member
Jul 6, 2011
Argyll
Funster No
MH
rv hi top
Exp
Since July 2011
Living the Dream

Hi Jim
Just joined today and read with interest this topic and answers, my wife and I are living the dream albeit in a yacht in the Med for the last 11 years and thoroughly enjoing it we have got to the stage now that we want to carry on the dream on land hence buying our motorhome at xmas, but until the boat is sold we will be splitting the time up between both, we regard ourselfs as very lucky that we can do this, so at the moment we can be considered as part time motorhomers. It was amazing visiting countries by sea and we always wanted to go to places further inland for longer periods that is what we are looking forward to doing, I will say though that if anyone is considering living the dream the hardest part is making up their mind to do it once that is done its amazing how quickly the rest falls into place.

Sandy

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Jim
Just joined today and read with interest this topic and answers, my wife and I are living the dream albeit in a yacht in the Med for the last 11 years and thoroughly enjoing it we have got to the stage now that we want to carry on the dream on land hence buying our motorhome at xmas, but until the boat is sold we will be splitting the time up between both, we regard ourselfs as very lucky that we can do this, so at the moment we can be considered as part time motorhomers. It was amazing visiting countries by sea and we always wanted to go to places further inland for longer periods that is what we are looking forward to doing, I will say though that if anyone is considering living the dream the hardest part is making up their mind to do it once that is done its amazing how quickly the rest falls into place.

Sandy

Hi Sandy.. just noticed your post... :Blush:

I would have loved to do as you have .. live on a yacht .. sadly I have never had wherewithal to do it .. You are lucky indeed.

good luck with your plans..

Jim

Dafydd

Free Member
Oct 12, 2011
St Davids, West Wales
Funster No
MH
Frankia on order
Exp
Thankyou all for the discussion...

Exactly.. the MH is a means to an end, rather than an end in it'self .. this is where I think people grab the wrong end of the stick .. they enjoy mororhoming and believe it can be an end in it'self .. a 'dream'... and it can't be.. ... well, not indefinitely.

If you enjoy touring for touring's sake it is the wrong reason for going full time..

Full time in whatever guise is a way of life .. I don't believe it is suitable for families with school age kids .. they need much more than what any parent can provide alone.. the need to mix and learn from their peers.. bumps and all... taking them away to try to shelter them is doing them no good, it's like raising a plant in a greenhouse then expecting it to survive when you plant outside .. and how many parents have the skills and time to devote to teaching a teenager higher education .

Down through the decades it people have rebelled against society , hippies, new age travellers , etc, all thought they had the utopian plan .. freedom .. no, ... different yes.. but where are they today ? Probably reading this and planning to go full time.. :winky:

Jim - ScotJimland - thanks for starting this provocative thread!

The starting point was: "Often I see this advice given to those contempalting full timing, “ Just do it , Live The Dream” ..
but what do they mean, what do they imagine The Dream is ?
"

As is often the case, a simple question has no simple answer but a range of answers that reflect a range of responses to one's place in life and our British/European culture.

I'm one of those ageing 'rebels' now reading this and considering selling up and living in a campervan! Very perceptive and I think you've unearthed the key to your question: having, or being drawn towards, "the dream" is perhaps a personality trait, a conditioned response to life as one finds it. The fact is I've always been drawn towards "it" because that's how I am...

I've read all the thread and it's been thought provoking and valuable for all the different perspectives and experiences as well as the offered personal insights. The practical insights, in terms of things to think about, being realistic etc have also been very useful.
As a practical solution to the more philosophical question what to do with my life?, fulltiming in a campervan-motorhome raises practical questions because it is not the usual, culturally accepted, solution (ie living in house or flat and doing something/working nearby).
So if you want to do it then the first question is can I do it? Physically, financially, personally (family). Then the nebulous should I do it? Or perhaps given that I'm thinking of doing it, tempted to launch off into this different lifestyle, is there any reason I should not?
Two things spring to mind having read this thread and they both revolve around the difficulty of contemplating an unknown future:
- the possibility of a future change in circumstances, eg a health failure, loss of driving licence
- the open-endedness from the point of departure
Two answers leapt out (sorry, I can't trawl back to make quotes as I have to go out soon):
- fear of an imagined future catastrophe is a poor reason not to do something, even something as dramatic as this change of lifestyle. The future lingering regret will perhaps be worse than sticking to the security a fixed home offers, or appears to offer (as has been alluded to this security can also become a trap in a negative situation, a burden, a limiter of one's horizons)
- it is important, or realistic, to consider how one might return to a fixed lifestyle. Have a plan to answer the question "so, what, you're going to do this forever are you?" At least give it considerable and honest thought. Have a plan, have a purpose, have a time-frame, have an exit strategy.

As can be read above, for several contributors fulltiming is a satisfactory lifestyle. There is nothing inherently wrong or misguided about it. It is a lifestyle that suits a particular kind of person for whom it is feasible practically, physically and financially. It is very different from a fixed life and brings its own challenges and compromises. Fulltiming is not a path to happiness, it is not better than a fixed life - it is different. You won't know unless you try it whether it will suit you for the next year-chunk of years.

I think Jim that many of those old hippy types did settle back into a fixed life and maybe had children, maybe created a financially stable life. Now they are mid to late forties the old urge is re-awakening. It never went away. That's me anyway.

Thanks again to all the posters here. I came to this forum looking for other people's ideas and experience as I'm facing some big decisions. I have to go now but I'll post again later and lay out my situation. Maybe I'll say something that helps someone else make thier decision!

rosiered

Free Member
Oct 16, 2011
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Hitop
Exp
4 yrs
Time on hands

Hello all
We are looking at fulltiming, downsizing house and renting it out to help finances.
We will be ok financially but one thing worries me, too much time on my hands.
This wouldnt be a holiday but a life and I enjoy walking, birding country stuff, will take up fishing (for food), however I do wonder if I will get bored.......even housework will be negligable:thumb:.

Maybe carry a woodturner or summat, any ideas?

Thanks all

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Bored? What's that mean? :winky:

2 and a half years fulltiming and never been bored. don't have a TV either.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I don't think "full-timing" will solve or create boredom.

I have never really understood the concept of "boredom" as I am lucky and have never experienced it...(except maybe when watching the film 2001 Space Odessey all those years ago!!!)

Surely in what ever lifestyle you choose you will always have "downtime"...

JJ :Cool:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i think its not a dream but a fantasy . a dream can happen a fantasy you change in your sleepy like state. life you cant . it comes as it is.
if you are looking to escape a problem or a failing it goes with you. happiness is every where, if you arent happy with life jumping in a m,home doesnt change it either . might help for a while. if you get bored easily then in a motor home you will get bored.
i like going on shopping adventures etc . never get bored . have in the past ,it was called depression. but dont think it is a miracle waitig to happen . the roADS ARE FULL OF UNHAPPY PEOPLE TRAVELLING IN CAMPERS . some become alcholics in spain etc some just plain cannabis smokers . all hopeing life will get better. it doesnt. if you arent happy now . do something about it. but start travelling happy .
i pefer to have the best of both worlds summer here winter in the sun.

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date

Surely in what ever lifestyle you choose you will always have "downtime"...

JJ :Cool:

If you never experience "downtime" how on earth would you recognize up-time.......

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Slightly facinating the statement 'Living the Dream' - yes we are living the dream but it is OUR dream. We carefully anaylised what we wanted to do - in truth we changed our mind many times over the probably 10 years we planned this - we worked out our budgets and income and made sure everything was possible before we did it. We now have everything we want - on wheels - and can go anywhere in Europe at the drop of a hat so as to speak.

Anyone else trying to live our dream would have problems :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

My point is everyone has a different dream - because others succeed does not mean you will - you need to plan or be very lucky to be successfull :thumb:

treasuredgiftsuk

Free Member
Jan 7, 2012
Portugal
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
You Will Probably Think We Are Mad!

My husband and I have been living and working in Portugal for the last 9 years. I am getting fedup and wanting to go back to UK to spend a bit more time with my kids, grandkids and elderly parents. My husband is not keen on the idea though he does feel the need for a change from our present way of life so we came to a compromise.

Yesterday we saw an advert for an English reg motorhome here in Portugal, the price seemed ok and as far as we could tell, we know absolutely nothing about them, it seemed to be in good working order. It is now stood outside our rental property waiting for us to start full timing.

We live in a furnished rented property so only have personal belongings, other than all my husbands power and petrol tools which he used for his work. We are in the process of carbooting everything we cannot squeeze into the motor home.

The plan is to spend more time in the UK visiting family whilst also being able to up and go whenever we feel like it. We plan on travelling the UK first then Europe calling back to see all our friends here in Portugal in the colder months.

We have a little bit of savings, I have a retail website which brings in some income and we also hope to be able to find some casual work on our travels. My husband can turn his hand to most things so hopefully there will be some opportunities out there to earn a crust.

Our first major hurdle is going to be insurance as we have no, no claims in the UK, despite having no claims all there years we have lived in Portugal, and have lived outside it for so long. We have been turned down by about 6 insurance companies so far for not living in the UK for more than 2 years, not being on the electral roll, not having another vehicle insured in the UK blah, blah, blah.

I am really looking forward to giving this a go, we hope to leave here at the end of January and get back to the UK for my dads 80th birthday in March. I am excited at the prospect but absolutely terrified that we are doing the wrong thing. I have always yearned to travel and am not getting any younger so decided it is now or never.

Wish us luck folks!

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I don't know where in Portugal you are but I have storage space (a garage) if you had some smaller stuff you want to keep.

In Ansiao.. 45kms south of Coimbra on IC3...or IC8... I always forget which number!

Try Adrian Flux for insurance... not cheap but they insure anything and anybody I believe.

JJ

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We have a little bit of savings, I have a retail website which brings in some income and we also hope to be able to find some casual work on our travels. My husband can turn his hand to most things so hopefully there will be some opportunities out there to earn a crust.

!

to borrow a line form Landy's post
you need to plan or be very lucky to be successful

never a truer work written.. this is where many I think go wrong..

From what you say you have a lot of hopes.. but no real financial plan.. just hoping is unlikely to work.. fulltiming is an alternative but it's not a cheap one ..
From my own experience and from speaking to others, you will need an annual income in the region of £12k .. and that is minimum .. some say it's closer to £15k

Casual work is scarce and there are plenty of EU migrants doing it for next to nothing.. All too many think that they can pick up work on the road.. it is not so easy.. and itinerants (as you will be) are not looked on as favourably as those with a home address ..

There is much to think on.. also have a read on our sister site Motorhome365, dedicated to both those who are fulltime and those like yourself who are thinking on it..

My advice is to think long and hard, take a pencil and paper and write down everything you will spend money on.. fuel , site fees, LPG, food, clothing, ferry fares, MOT, Road Tax, Insurance, repairs and maintenance.. plus some spending money.. then add a bit extra for emergencies.. breakdowns etc.. and ideally have reserve you don't need to touch.

Sorry I can'y help with insurance.. is it not possible to register and insure in Portugal ?

Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
to borrow a line form Landy's post

never a truer work written.. this is where many I think go wrong..

From what you say you have a lot of hopes.. but no real financial plan.. just hoping is unlikely to work.. fulltiming is an alternative but it's not a cheap one ..
From my own experience and from speaking to others, you will need an annual income in the region of £12k .. and that is minimum .. some say it's closer to £15k

Casual work is scarce and there are plenty of EU migrants doing it for next to nothing.. All too many think that they can pick up work on the road.. it is not so easy.. and itinerants (as you will be) are not looked on as favourably as those with a home address ..

There is much to think on.. also have a read on our sister site Motorhome365, dedicated to both those who are fulltime and those like yourself who are thinking on it..

My advice is to think long and hard, take a pencil and paper and write down everything you will spend money on.. fuel , site fees, LPG, food, clothing, ferry fares, MOT, Road Tax, Insurance, repairs and maintenance.. plus some spending money.. then add a bit extra for emergencies.. breakdowns etc.. and ideally have reserve you don't need to touch.

Sorry I can'y help with insurance.. is it not possible to register and insure in Portugal ?

We'd agree with every single word of this post. Financial planning is essential, however, based on our experience you will need nearer £20k pa NET plus £10k for emergencies. If you want to be happy you cant spend all of your time chasing every penny.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
My husband and I have been living and working in Portugal for the last 9 years. I am getting fedup and wanting to go back to UK to spend a bit more time with my kids, grandkids and elderly parents. My husband is not keen on the idea though he does feel the need for a change from our present way of life so we came to a compromise.

Yesterday we saw an advert for an English reg motorhome here in Portugal, the price seemed ok and as far as we could tell, we know absolutely nothing about them, it seemed to be in good working order. It is now stood outside our rental property waiting for us to start full timing.

We live in a furnished rented property so only have personal belongings, other than all my husbands power and petrol tools which he used for his work. We are in the process of carbooting everything we cannot squeeze into the motor home.

The plan is to spend more time in the UK visiting family whilst also being able to up and go whenever we feel like it. We plan on travelling the UK first then Europe calling back to see all our friends here in Portugal in the colder months.

Our first major hurdle is going to be insurance as we have no, no claims in the UK, despite having no claims all there years we have lived in Portugal, and have lived outside it for so long. We have been turned down by about 6 insurance companies so far for not living in the UK for more than 2 years, not being on the electral roll, not having another vehicle insured in the UK blah, blah, blah.

I am really looking forward to giving this a go, we hope to leave here at the end of January and get back to the UK for my dads 80th birthday in March. I am excited at the prospect but absolutely terrified that we are doing the wrong thing. I have always yearned to travel and am not getting any younger so decided it is now or never.

Wish us luck folks!

Of course I have no idea how much rent you pay, but generally speaking, I would say the rent saving will easily cover the cost of your fuel and pitch fees, especially if you do some wild camping and spend time parked on friends and relatives drives. So all things being equal, ie, you do not spend more on food, drink, clothes, entertainment than you do now, you will be better off. If you have bought carefully you'll find that vans over 6 years old don't lose much money at all. Also motorhomes are not to expensive to insure. So if worse comes to worse and you hate the lifestyle you can move back into rented accommodation with little actual losses for your experience. Best of luck, I'm sure you'll love it :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back