Live Ignition Feed in Fusebox? (1 Viewer)

Mar 23, 2018
East Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1995 + 20Yrs a 'Tugger' first.
I need to find a live feed - preferably in the Dash Fuse Box, that is only live when the ignition switch is in the run position. Anybody got any information, please? 2017 290.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I found out when mine failed that most if not all chassis have a D+ terminal point

Not that it will help you but on my Mercedes I now know it is under the drivers seat

mine has three terminals, permanent live, live on ignition and live only when engine running

hope that helps even if only a little bit (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Ours is an X250 (13 plate) Ducato so maybe not the same layout as your X290.
I piggybacked our dashcam hardwire kit off F49 which is ignition switched.
Note it's only a 5A fuse in our board but as the dashcam is a low draw comfortable the wiring will be sufficient.

Attachments

• Fuseboard.pdf
    22.2 KB · Views: 237
OP
OP
Driventemple
Mar 23, 2018
East Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Sorry, thought you were cracking a joke. Radios have been wired independent of the ignition circuit for the last 15 years or so. That's so you can listen to the radio with the engine not running, like on a site.

OP
OP
Driventemple
Mar 23, 2018
East Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
After finding no fuses that were ignition controlled I finally solved the problem by running a cable from the cigarette socket. This switched on a relay to connect the Inverter to the vehicle battery only when driving. The idea is to use this to charge the Laptop. View media item 22932 View media item 22933 View media item 22934

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Sorry, thought you were cracking a joke. Radios have been wired independent of the ignition circuit for the last 15 years or so. That's so you can listen to the radio with the engine not running, like on a site.
News to me. My 2005 Hymer & 2012 Le Voyageur were both wired to OEM connections.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Nope ... our dealer fitted Kenwood can't be used with out the flipping ignition on (no engine running needed)!

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Nope ... our dealer fitted Kenwood can't be used with out the flipping ignition on (no engine running needed)!

You must have at least one permanent live somewhere as the radio would loose all stored info

Last edited:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
On what vehicles?

We deal with several new motorhomes everyday and the most asked for “ little job” is rewire the radio

White wire/ black trace by the way from ignition switch to fuse board is the +15

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You must have at least one permanent live somewhere as the radio would loose all stored info
Yes, I just have to get round to having a shuftie when I've finished my other jobs. :D

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
AFAIK factory fit Fiat Ducato radios are wired as standard to the ignition circuit, as with cars. That was the case in my 2008 Adria as well as all of the cars I have had that I can remember. They all have an always live feed to maintain the memory, but it is not used to work the radio. My 2015 Hymer radio/CD/Sat Nav/reversing camera/ was wired to the hab circuit, but that was only because the dealer got it fitted and specifically requested it that way.

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Our 2015 Fiat Ducato with factory fitted U-connect OE radio works with ignition off. This also applies to Volvo S80 and Toyota Yaris all 2015.
From memory our previous vehicles 2010 and 2009 Ford's were same. All worked fully with ignition off key removed.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001

It is possible you take a feed from the leisure battery through a diode to the radio power socket. You then fit a diode to the feed from the ignition to the radio. When the engine is on you get a feed from the engine and leisure battery. When the engine is off you get the feed to the radio from the leisure battery. The two large diodes stop current flowing between the two batteries. That’s the way Pilote do it.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
We've been putting the rear-view camera cabling in today and will fit the monitor and finish it off tomorrow so are going to have a play with the radio as well. As we were doing the cabling I suggested that we should simply do a direct feed from the leisure battery (with an inline switch) rather than mess about switching it to the ignition when driving - as we have solar panels fitted it doesn't really make any difference where the power is actually coming from, however he seems to believe that taking off the removable radio front cuts the power anyway (just leaving it for the memory etc), so if that's the case it's another thing we can consider too.

artHarris

Free Member
Sep 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido 763F
Exp
since 2004
I too am fitting a rear view camera. I would like to take the power from the main electrical distribution board which is in the garage of my Ducato-based Rapido 763F; it is closer to the ignition-controlled outlet and fuseboard. Does anybody know which contact in the distribution board is only active with the ignition on?

artHarris

Free Member
Sep 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido 763F
Exp
since 2004
That should read " closer THAN the ignition-controlled lighter outlets and fuseboard". Sorry.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Chances are, on a foreign van, the ignition will have no control over the hab electrics whereas many UK vans the ignition turns off the hab electrics except fridge and split charge.
You're going to need to run audio and video cables from back to front so power it from the cab fuse box.

artHarris

Free Member
Sep 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido 763F
Exp
since 2004
Thank you for that. But the camera I am fitting has Bluetooth connectivity to my SatNav, so I don't need those wires. I just need power which is ignition controlled.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Fridge supply will be your best option then. Only live with engine running unless Johnny foreigner does different and wired it to the hab battery.

artHarris

Free Member
Sep 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido 763F
Exp
since 2004
Thank you. That sounds like a good idea. I should have thought about it myself because I have had a frig problem and know which fuse it is.

Jun 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Ours is an X250 (13 plate) Ducato so maybe not the same layout as your X290.
I piggybacked our dashcam hardwire kit off F49 which is ignition switched.
Note it's only a 5A fuse in our board but as the dashcam is a low draw comfortable the wiring will be sufficient.
Hi Gellyneck, can you remember which one you used for the battery connection (permanently on) please?

I've been using F33 but the dashcam goes off after a few minutes in parking mode and wondered if there was a timer on it!

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Hi Gellyneck, can you remember which one you used for the battery connection (permanently on) please?

I've been using F33 but the dashcam goes off after a few minutes in parking mode and wondered if there was a timer on it!
My Nextbase 412GW dashcam is designed to do that.

Intelligent Parking Mode is featured on the Nextbase 412GW models and up. Intelligent Parking Mode can be turned on via the menu settings for the Dash Cam. It will put the cam into standby mode after five minutes of inactivity. The dash cam will then power on and record a two-minute protected file when physical movement of the vehicle is detected. This can result from the car being bumped into or a door being shut.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back