Little things I like about France (1 Viewer)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I used one for two meals recently when I went to pick up the motorhome but it wasn't ready. There wasn't a lot of choice where I was. It was OK, standard steak, burger and tex-mex type fare. Not really very French.

Sounds perfect for me(y)

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
The steak is horse though
When we first went to look at the motorhome it was around lunch time, and the dealer was telling us where we could go for lunch (he spoke no English). He suggested the Buffalo Grill, and after a pause, he grinned and said "Ce n'est pas cheval".

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
However, the France we visit isn't the 'real France' , as tourists we generally only see the nice side. Few if any will venture into the suburbs of a big city .. or even a large housing estate and why should we.. but it's like people who visit the Scottish Highlands.. or the Lakes, .. they never see the unemployment, the homeless in the cities.. or the crime and poverty. .

Love France .. yes.. but prefer the UK
I wouldn't consider an inner city to be the 'real France', or the real anywhere else. As far as I am concerned cities anywhere are much the same and to avoided at all cost. It would be like judging England by the squalor of parts of London or even the worst bits of Brighton.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Reading this thread just reminded me why we spend so much time in France.
Love your list @FIDGET. (y):D

But, now we have to decide where to go in a week or so when we leave for our next little excursion. We had decided to go to the Mosel.......but,but,but???

Richard (who used to be undecided, but now is not so sure)

Same for us. We're leaving in about 10 days for a month. Planning of mainly Belgium & Germany, which will definitely include the Mosel.

Can't wait to get going!

Denise

Aug 23, 2009
Burnham on Sea-late of Mortagne sur Gironde
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Stargazer
Exp
Since 1995
Lived in France, in Mortagne sur Gironde, for about 10 years from 2000 to 2009 and thoroughly enjoyed it. Bureaucracy of registering the car and getting into the healthcare and tax systems needed a bit of patience initially but was done in a couple of months. The fact that I spoke reasonable French and was prepared to have a go helped and to be honest I don’t think there was really anything that we disliked. We saw quite a bit of the country and as with anywhere we liked some parts more than others. Made a lot of friends and still go back two or three times a year and will be off again for September - just me and the dog now sadly but always full of happy memories.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Lived in France, in Mortagne sur Gironde, for about 10 years from 2000 to 2009 and thoroughly enjoyed it. Bureaucracy of registering the car and getting into the healthcare and tax systems needed a bit of patience initially but was done in a couple of months. The fact that I spoke reasonable French and was prepared to have a go helped and to be honest I don’t think there was really anything that we disliked. We saw quite a bit of the country and as with anywhere we liked some parts more than others. Made a lot of friends and still go back two or three times a year and will be off again for September - just me and the dog now sadly but always full of happy memories.

That's an area we really like, as well as Brittany. We, too, got to France 2 or 3 times a year and love it.

Feb 25, 2013
Staffs
Funster No
MH
A big white thing ???
Exp
3 yrs, (tenting and tugging before)

Great place to be. I was living near Montendre 2001-2008.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
For any unfamiliar with this delicacy it is basically a sausage skin stuffed with sausage skins.

Oh no it isn't, it's a used condom stuffed with bits of the pig too horrible even for British "budget" sausages.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
It's always risky to generalise but we love the time we spend in France (about 3 months a year) not least because of the politeness and friendliness of the people. The children are generally very well behaved and even very little kids kiss you or shake your hand on being introduced to you and when leaving.
We go to lots of lakes, lots of which are very busy and there has never been any hooliganism or menace of violence, something we often encounter in the UK.
Love the food, wine and general pace of life. A meal is something to enjoy, not to get over with.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Any thoughts about Alsace region? Worth a look or best avoided?
We're thinking of heading off in that direction next month, and then going over to Germany. We love Alsace wines, so that's one reason for going.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987

However, the France we visit isn't the 'real France' , as tourists we generally only see the nice side. Few if any will venture into the suburbs of a big city .. or even a large housing estate and why should we.. but it's like people who visit the Scottish Highlands.. or the Lakes, .. they never see the unemployment, the homeless in the cities.. or the crime and poverty. .

Love France .. yes.. but prefer the UK

I think as long as you keep away from touristy places and motorways, you will find the Real France everywhere.
We live most of our time in a small village with about 350 others. We have a superb Boulangerie a bike ride away, a fishing lake in the village, a church and a bar.
Everything is shut on Sunday. Nobody mows their lawn between 12 and 2pm or after 7:30 pm, no bonfires allowed except with written permission from the Marie. Lots of small cafes, routiers and restaurants selling great food really cheaply. Good quality cheap wine available in most shops. Lots of space, lots of quiet, no drunks wandering the streets.
We consider this as close to the Real France as you can get.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I think as long as you keep away from touristy places and motorways, you will find the Real France everywhere.

I was not trying to run France down, it doesn't need defending.. nor saying how nice the villages are. We also enjoy France, and have toured it extensively.. my first camping trip to France was in 1972 ..

my point was 82% of French citizens live in cities.. the very places we and most other tourists never visit..
as I said, visiting the Scottish Highlands and "doing the NC500" isn't the real Scotland either.. I grew up in the 'real' Scotland and it's nothing like the glossy adverts.. nor where most tourist go.. 92% of UK population also live in cities..

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"

I quite like the area of the Alsace between Colmar and Gerardmer in the Vosges Mountains - some nice sites on Lac de longemer & Lac Geradmer :)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I wouldn't consider an inner city to be the 'real France', or the real anywhere else. As far as I am concerned cities anywhere are much the same and to avoided at all cost. It would be like judging England by the squalor of parts of London or even the worst bits of Brighton.

You don't have to go into a city to see the disgusting litter in uk,,,Takeaway packaging and plastic bottles seem to be the most prolific of the litter,,,BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I enjoy the basic concept of Traffic Lights in Villages that go to STOP if you go over 30kmp knowing that everyone you’ve delayed thinks what a ( make your own mind up) .
We have them in Spain and if you actually stop the police will run in to the back of you.o_O

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We have them in Spain and if you actually stop the police will run in to the back of you.o_O

Never been run into and i do stop.BUSBY.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I see those Buffalo Grill places and they always seem to be busy, has anyone tried them? What do they do and what are they like.....

And I know... they probably do a mixed grill before anyone states the obvious.... but what else ..
Buffalo steaks, a bit flavourless but at least you can chew them, at least thats an improvement on the usual French steak.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Buffalo steaks, a bit flavourless but at least you can chew them, at least thats an improvement on the usual French steak.

Not true if the steak is for Steak Tartare, which if prepared properly is scraped off the meat, not minced.

Although I generally do not order grilled food in France, as there are so many dishes prepared in the pot with magnificent sauces in every region. Then the dipping of bread in the remaining juices mmmm.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
The alsace is nothing short of stunning if you enjoy endless views of rolling vine hills interspersed with outstanding villages such as eguisheim and have numerous stopover points in those villages and vineyards. Just got back from brittany today but highly likely to be in alsace in a fortnight. Ps won't be doing north coast of brittany again in summer months but west coast up from vannes was brit free

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Every area of every country/region etc will have those who love it and those who loath it. Witness the threads about the UK as a place to visit by MH.

TBH asking an opinion from someone I don't know is a pointless exercise as there are only 2 people in my life whose opinion matters (I am married to the other one).

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We'll be heading over sept 9th , for best part of 4 weeks , not sure yet where , currently Brittany looks favourite.
Hope we haven't see the last of the good weather , hey Ho , we'll take whatever it brings , good bad indifferent !!!
snap, we are booked on the 8 o clock at night train on the 9th hope to get an earlier one but we are then heading through belgium to germany then down to italian lakes and back up the west side of france as usual(y)
we are going for 5 weeks hopefully.
funny though isnt it we saw you at cite europe last year at the same time(y):)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back