Little things I like about France (1 Viewer)

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Reading this thread just reminded me why we spend so much time in France.
Love your list @FIDGET. (y):D

But, now we have to decide where to go in a week or so when we leave for our next little excursion. We had decided to go to the Mosel.......but,but,but???

Richard (who used to be undecided, but now is not so sure)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I bet @Chris is loving this thread :ROFLMAO:

I am because I honestly canā€™t think of any little or big thing I like about France. That said I was pleasantly surprised by how nice the people were this Summer in Dijon and Nimes.

I suspect it was the World Cup effect and they will be back to being miserable buggers by 2019.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
That's a bit extreme !
Johnny foreigner must think we're odd eating haggis, black pudding and Frey Bentos pies but they still come here for all the delightful offerings of the UK
You just named the most delicious offerings in UK except Marmite,,BUSBY:D2:D2

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Only trouble is we only get to go to the rose tinted glasses area of France. I bet they have got areas that are right #### holes just like us.

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Like you Richard @Clarky , we are off in sept to France & can't decide which part ,wife wants to go to Brittany again, but undecided !!!

Likewise,

We've already had five and a half weeks in France but want to get away again in September. It looks like there is no contest with France.

On one Aire during July a group of young people came have a BBQ close by, smell & noise we thought. Oh no, it was quiet and respectful, one of them even came over and asked if we minded them being so close! Would you get that in the UK?

At another Aire the village Mayor came out from his nearby office to welcome us to his village and offer any help that we may need and to tell us where the local shop was. Would you see a local councillor doing that in the UK?

That's why we go to France :D:D

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I love France too but have agree about the andouillette. It is however a local speciality ie something no local would dream of eating but just there so tourists will attempt to eat it to amuse the locals.

For any unfamiliar with this delicacy it is basically a sausage skin stuffed with sausage skins.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
i have been to France lots of times and always enjoyed the ferry back to the UK:D

Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
Off on Monday:Grin:really looking forward to a motorhome friendly holiday :smiley::Grin::Grin:lovely fresh baguettes every day and a relaxing drive through beautiful countryside to Biscorosse and meeting up with daughter, son-in-law and granddaughters for 8days before wending our way back up to the tunnel and home, sheer bliss :sun::Grin::Grin::Grin::Grin: France is motor home heaven :Grin::smiley::happy::smiley:

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
For any unfamiliar with this delicacy it is basically a sausage skin stuffed with sausage skins.

If only it were ! I always quite liked it until at a restaurant along the way I chose 'the ancient andouillete of Troyes'. We discussed it being a long way from home since we were down the A75 near Lodeve.

We think it must have been the original one they ever made, judging by the smell and the taste. I've really never fancied one again, since.

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
That's a bit extreme !
Johnny foreigner must think we're odd eating haggis, black pudding and Frey Bentos pies but they still come here for all the delightful offerings of the UK
In.my opinion, French and Spanish black pudding is far superior to most of what we get in the UK.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I find traffic lights with there 2 sets very helpful , 1 set up high & 1 small set low down , simple but effective .

Traffic lights at road works that count down in seconds , so you now how long before it's your turn.

Most car parks FREE , other than by the coast. small villages very welcoming.

the aires system , some free & most others quite reasonably priced & a lot of them are in beautiful area's

Boulangerie & small local supermarkets , their staff that greet you with bonjour as you enter.

Love there bread , I don't normally eat white (only eat wholemeal in UK) , but over there eat as much as I can

I ensure that I don't order /request in my pigeon french the artisan loafs / pains, too crusty & full of holes

also love there apple turnovers / tarts , wife loves fruit pastries & tarts.

I suspect there will be a similar thread stared soon about things people dislike about France

Ditto.......:cool:

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
In.my opinion, French and Spanish black pudding is far superior to most of what we get in the UK.
I take back UK black pudding even after 14 years lol Donā€™t dislike French but UK stuff is different .

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We love the Aires, the villages, the food, the weather, the clean beaches, clean countryside, clean villages/towns, the way a lot of the houses look disused and ready for demolition only to see theyā€™re still being lived in!
Love the pace of live, the fact the kids are out playing kids games in the sun not hooked up to a computer, the families that eat out in CafƩ's & restaurants and the kids that behave, they sit, eat, chat with no running amok & tantrums, the older kids looking after their siblings without being told to!
We just love France!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
we also enjoy France.. primarily for the better weather, quieter roads and the traffic free cycling routes.. from the Alps to the wild Atlantic coast it is a beautiful country with many contrasts and warm welcoming people..

I don't find the food cheap .. in fact often more expensive, and the butcher meat is awful .. bread is variable, generally only good if bought from a village Boulanger .. Supermarket bread is much the same as you buy in a UK supermarket.. rubbish .. why I bake my own at home.. Markets are better but not cheap either ..

However, the France we visit isn't the 'real France' , as tourists we generally only see the nice side. Few if any will venture into the suburbs of a big city .. or even a large housing estate and why should we.. but it's like people who visit the Scottish Highlands.. or the Lakes, .. they never see the unemployment, the homeless in the cities.. or the crime and poverty. .

Love France .. yes.. but prefer the UK

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
We love France........ The wine, the cheese, the butter, the bread, the villages, the countryside, the coast, the mountains, the history, the Aires, the regional specialities........ Where do I stop????

:D

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
That's a bit extreme !
Try a bit of anduilette he's right its disgusting and I love France!!!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I love France too but have agree about the andouillette. It is however a local speciality ie something no local would dream of eating but just there so tourists will attempt to eat it to amuse the locals.

Its actually pigs lower intestine inside thats why it smells the way our dog does if he has the wrong food!!!!

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
We agree with all Fidget(OP) post in entirity plus some of the other points.

Eating out can be a bit pricey, except Routiers, but if one is selective it can still be good value for excellent quality. I always say that a restaurant with even mediocre food will not survive in France - the French would see it as an insult.

We are going back in 3 weeks.

Geoff

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I see those Buffalo Grill places and they always seem to be busy, has anyone tried them? What do they do and what are they like.....

And I know... they probably do a mixed grill before anyone states the obvious.... but what else ..

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We are staying in france at the moment, and the bonus we have is enjoying shopping in Lidl and Aldi in Germany with all the other French people, ;) being only 19 khm away, I suppose there may have been more bridges before the war. :LOL: Bob.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
I see those Buffalo Grill places and they always seem to be busy, has anyone tried them? What do they do and what are they like.....
I used one for two meals recently when I went to pick up the motorhome but it wasn't ready. There wasn't a lot of choice where I was. It was OK, standard steak, burger and tex-mex type fare. Not really very French.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back