LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
I came across a small lithium battery pack the other day 7500ma it looked good in the demonstration starting a small car has any funster had any experience with any thing similar or are they just a gimmick

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
I bought a couple, specifically because they had 10 amp 12v output socket as well as their jump start features (to act as backup for vital kit)

I'd only used them as the 10 amp back up until I inadvertenly flattened hte van battery the other day. Did exactly as it says on the tin, seemingly flat as a pancake battery, left connected for a minute and then turn over and started fine.

I'll dig out the ones I bought, took a while to find some with a decent auxillary output capability (which was the main reason for buiying ours)

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
Amazon product ASIN B01CFJO88S these are ours i think

for anyone with adblocker put ' RoyPow 18000mAh Heavy Duty 800A Peak Current IP66 Waterproof Car Jump Starter for V6 V8 Engine, Dual USB Fast Charger for Cellphone Tablet, Dual Alarm Lamps for Emergency Help' into Amaon search will bring it up

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
No idea why it works.:xgrin:

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
it denies the code pixies their jaffa cakes and so prevents embedding, or something :¬)

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
One of mine is being wired in to act as a back up for the proper leisure batteries, when they fall below a preset voltage it'll flash the lights (ears no worky) and take over powering stuff whilst I get to a plug socket

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
anyone fancy hooking two of these up as leisure batteries
The capacity is too low to be useful - for example the Amazon one is 18Ah. They work as starter batteries because they can supply massive current (for their size) for just enough time to start an engine. The voltage they supply is also sufficient to give the existing starter battery a brief boost charge so that it too will help to start the engine.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
I am inclined to suspect there may be safety risks associated with these. The load capacity claims seem a bit reckless, the jump cables a little under-rated and I have to wonder what some anonymous Chinese sweatshop knows about the technology that defeats the likes of Boeing. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/10/14/faa_lithium_battery_warning/

Apparently they do work. I would not want to charge one overnight or unsupervised in any occupied space (e.g. hab unit) bearing in mind that even Samsung have had problems

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I am inclined to suspect there may be safety risks associated with these. The load capacity claims seem a bit reckless, the jump cables a little under-rated and I have to wonder what some anonymous Chinese sweatshop knows about the technology that defeats the likes of Boeing. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/10/14/faa_lithium_battery_warning/

Apparently they do work. I would not want to charge one overnight or unsupervised in any occupied space (e.g. hab unit) bearing in mind that even Samsung have had problems

I have a high end one of these and concur. The cables on these are too small for sustained use and do get hot if you have a difficult starter. They are handy if your van battery is a little bit low, but provided it turn a little bit they can get you out of a tricky situation. I certainly wouldn't use one in any permanent situation.

I now have a solar panel on my windscreen and a VanBitz battery master and haven't needed to use it since then.

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
I guess in my case it's risk vs benefit (risk of no power definitely life threatening, risk of well maintained lithium battery catching fire low)

We've all got lithium batteries in our phones and other devices. Must admit I was very wary the time I used it to jump start

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
7500ma packs in Aldi at the moment.

1481714850520.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
My concern is not so much whether these work, as people have confirmed they do, but the scant regard that these Chinese sweatshops appear to have for health and safety

Sure, lithium ion batteries are not new, and if I recall, Apple had more than a few problems at one stage. Samsung had very recent problems, and even the aerospace industry has problems with them.

Anyone using these for any purpose other than jump starting would appear to be taking a risk. Anyone charging one of these should take precautions, and I certainly would not risk sharing my bedroom with one on charge overnight.

As for the leads, perhaps people should take a look at a cheap set of jump leads and compare those with the flimsy and under rated flying tails that are fitted to these devices

I will buy one because it could get me out of trouble, but only for the purpose intended

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
They're multipurpose batteries though, and so the purpose intended for many of them is as a jump starter, a USB charger and a 12v auxillary socket

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
They're multipurpose batteries though, and so the purpose intended for many of them is as a jump starter, a USB charger and a 12v auxillary socket
I love your conviction that the Chinese, whose safety standards are such that their poisoning of children's food with melanin caused world wide panic, actually care about engineering design. Would you charge a potential bomb in your bedroom any mire than you would inhale from a vaporiser filled with potentially toxic liquid manufactured in China

I am sure that their engineering and design standards are improving greatly, but you might care to look at this report before making up your own mind....

And another (check 2:48 on)

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I wonder why, in the above video, the camera is often pointing at abandoned hoverboards.
Do they know they are going to burst into flames well before they do ?

Oh! I'll dump my board here just in case.....ahhh there it goes.

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
erm, i don't have any such conviction, believe me I've done my homework, for our van having an emergency back up power supply is vital and having balanced the risks carefully we chose to use these. a fourth vat of lead acid isn't actually much safer

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
erm, i don't have any such conviction, believe me I've done my homework, for our van having an emergency back up power supply is vital and having balanced the risks carefully we chose to use these. a fourth vat of lead acid isn't actually much safer
Cynicism is always healthy, albeit that I think any faith in (at least the Chinese version of) these products isn't.

For backup, I use gel batteries, but I'm not running anything that is particularly heavy current that my gennie can't handle. I will still get one of these as a jump start device though

And keep my green flag policy up to date

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
That video defies the laws of physics, are they really that good ? It's just unbelievable.

Should be at the price....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOCO-Geni...754049?hash=item41b9a94b41:g:J0IAAOSw5cNYQDlK
If they were not as good as they claimed, we would not have bought 2 dozen of them for the engineers.
With engines up to 6 litres to get going we cannot buy things that aren't up to the job. These do work.
What seems to be lost in some posts is that they are designed to start an engine that has a flat battery.
For starting knackered engines we use something very different and not suitable for diy use but this should not be relevant to Funsters

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back