Lithium Ion Leisure batteries. (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
What would the cost be for 500ah ?
I couldn't work it out
Each cell is 210Ah. So to get to 420ah you would need 4s2p so 8 in total.
8 x 125 = £1,000

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Seems like prices are starting to get reasonable now for LifePO4.

Hopefully by the time I want mine (next year) it will be quite easy to get around 300Ah for under £1k :)
(plus charging)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
If you decide to go for them, learn about bottom balancing and avoid using a shunt based top balancer.

I've got lead acid batteries ready for fitting in my new van, so no good for me

Just noticed that he's only got 13 available and that he's open to offers.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Looks like that might contain 2 x 18650 batteries? When you get a knackered one it might be worth opening to see what is inside?

I make no apology for saying that I was with the Duracell Battery Company for 14 years, the last 4 from 1992 to 1996 as Technical Marketing Manager - Europe. I spent a lot of time with our Lithium development team at the factory in the States. Yes, a lot may well have changed since but I offer you this for what it's worth.....

1) Never, ever, open a Lithium cell. Lithium is highly reactive, flammable and unstable and normally stored and transported under mineral oil.
2) Never, ever, short circuit a Lithium cell or battery. (In the lab one now ex-employee sprung a paperclip across a Lithium watch cell on a bench and it exploded within 15 seconds with bits penetrating the lab ceiling).
3) Ensure that there is an appropriately rated quick-blow fuse in the circuit. A short-circuited cell or battery WILL 'de-crimp' (Nanny marketing/companylawyer-speak for 'explode').
4) Never, ever, solder individual cells to form a battery. Manufacturers always use an instantaneous spot welder to secure the interconnections. O.K. so you and others may have done it successfully 'loads of times' so ignore me if you wish.

When we exported Lithium batteries from our U.S.A. Elmsford plant to Europe they had to go by sea as they were classified as prohibited hazardous cargo by all the airlines. Things may have changed but didn't a couple of planes have trouble recently with Lithium batteries catching fire on board and melting?

IMHO unless you have huge needs off-circuit the lead acid batteries are the best compromise between capacity, cost and safety, provided they are correctly maintained - which probably takes less time and effort than that which you are spending on your deliberations.

Lithium cells/batteries are seriously powerful bits of kit and should not be experimented with as we did with ordinary batteries when we were kids - or even now, as big kids ;).
Just sayin' like.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back