Lithium Battries again!! (1 Viewer)

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
You do not need to worry about isolating the negative connections as long as the positive ones are entirely separate. The bit that sometimes gets overlooked is the existing battery linking relay from the original leisure battery charging system. If you have a Schaudt EBL then the Votronic VCC B2Bs come with specific wiring instructions. I found it far more complicated when I transferred my B2B to a motorhome with a CBE system.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
When the body is used as a conductor, is it acceptable to use and share same conductor for two different voltages in the same time? Is it not smart to keep the two isolated of each other?

Kniste

Free Member
May 7, 2017
Hastings
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1980
Not too sure about the separation, I used a the product from Schaudt WA121525. this plugged in to the EBL30.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
When the body is used as a conductor, is it acceptable to use and share same conductor for two different voltages in the same time? Is it not smart to keep the two isolated of each other?
There are some situations where it is required to totally isolate DC to DC supplies, such as a boat in a marina. If not isolated, there is galvanic corrosion as part of the current flows back to earth via the salt water.

However in a motorhome that is not really a problem, and devices can be safely connected at a single point, which is always chosen as the chassis/earth. The alternator and starter battery have negatives connected to the chassis, and usually all other negatives are electrically connected to the chassis one way or another.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
That’s not the point I was making Autorouter. The boats need the galvanic isolation when on shore AC power, when on they inverter is completely isolated from the hall.
My point being, is using the body of the vehicle as you mentioned for the van electrics, alternator and starter battery, all this at a different voltage than the house battery, on the same conductors.
I have no issue with negative- bonding to the chassis for the van, just don’t mix the house Lithium with them, keep them isolated as you’ll be working at different parameters than the starter. Sharing same conductor with different voltages in my opinion is not smart. Maybe I don’t have the gist of explaining well, but you’re a smart man, and I’m sure you get my drift.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back