Lithium batteries - what do you make of this ? (1 Viewer)

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
I think those don't have the inbuilt BMS. I think the ones he has are 120Ah with inbuilt BMS, priced at £1299.99 each.

Looks like the 'drop-in replacement' claim in the description is a tad optimistic. I couldn't follow exactly what he was saying about the BMS and the BMV, and suspect he occasionally mixed them up. A cautionary tale indeed.
The discharge graph from alpha batteries states 100ah

NickandClair

Free Member
Apr 30, 2018
Taunton, Somerset
Funster No
MH
The Dark Side!!!!
Exp
Since 2001
I have now watched a bit more of the video and I think @Lenny HB and @nickvanbitz are being polite about it.
Lol, you're being very polite with your response about my feelings on the video :LOL: :LOL: . In truth (and sorry to the person whom creating the video if they are watching this thread), it went something from laughter, to anger, to dumbfounded, to "Your Having A Laugh?!", to "who did your wiring?!". I've never felt such a bag of mixed emotions all in one day (what with the election result too :LOL: :LOL: ).
There we're far too many abnormalities to list regarding the install and far too much to pull apart. We have been working with both Sterling and Victron product for so long now, that when installed correctly and to the customer's requirements, they perform flawlessly.
I've had many a conversation to Bloggers and people in the trade and we all agree that it is important to have that dialog/consultation before you install the Lithium, as there are far too many variables to consider when installing them.................................... but when installed correctly will give great results.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Pausim
How do you charge your relion’s from the alternator? If you do.
Thank you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Thank you for that.
I looked it up on the spec, and it’s got a preset for lfp, similar to sterling. That means you can’t do a custom voltage setting. I will have to see how I get on with the dc-dc Orion.

Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoCruise Stardream
Exp
Newbie April 2019
He didn't fill me with confidence that he really knew what he was doing tbh

If he said "and thats where I'm at" one more time I'd of wanted to club him

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Thank you for that.
I looked it up on the spec, and it’s got a preset for lfp, similar to sterling. That means you can’t do a custom voltage setting. I will have to see how I get on with the dc-dc Orion.
The Votronic VC1212-45 has 4 x LiFePO4 profiles. 13,9V, 14.2V, 14.4V and 14.6V. It also has settings to limit input and output current so that it can work with existing equipment and wiring.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
:xrofl::xrofl: OMg I have got time to go back and look at these previous videos now..
Started at the MPPT Victron blue solar controller install.
This was before he did his lithium battery install and was on some sort of basic Lead acid battery...
Someone asked...
"have you tweeked the controller On the Bluetooth app to improve things or left as is ? Cheers.

I’ve left it alone on default, the settings are more for lithium batteries or similar from what I’ve read."

The manual states....
Default setting, LiFePO4 batteries
:LOL:

And more..
Giving out advice in the comments...

Gadget John on tour "Disconnect the solar & battery from the victron. Then connect the solar and then connect the battery"

The manual states.....
Connections must always be made in the sequence described in section 3..

3. Cable connection sequence (see figure 4 at the end of this manual)
First: connect the cables to the load, but ensure that all loads are switched off.
Second: connect the battery (this will allow the controller to recognize system voltage).
Third: connect the solar array.

Mmmm the solar controller is going to love all that solar input up its arse with nowhere to put it.. :rolleyes:

The blind leading the blind...

HI John, I have the same battery and Victron as per your video but i was just wondering about the battery settings on the Victron. Shall i leave them as factory default or did you change any of the settings?

The victron doesn't have any settings for basic lead acid batteries so leave the settings as they are, I've don that and it works fine.

The manual states...
3.9 Automatic equalization
Automatic equalization is default set to ‘OFF'

Obviously likes his batteries sulphated. :xlaugh:

I haven't even finished the first video yet....
If you are reading this john, please get some better advice because your are not doing yourself, or more importantly, your YT viewers any favours at ALL.

Edit...
hahahah OMFG. he thinks turning more things on in the van will increase the output of the solar panel.. Give me strength.

Last edited:

Scotsblood

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis 194
Exp
Since 2017
I’m completely confused by this!
He seems to have so little idea I wonder if the ‘install’ was really planned at all.
As Nick says why would you go this route without understanding what you were throwing money at?
I just cannot see how ‘playing’ like this on such a grand scale hasn’t resulted in much bigger problems, he must have just been lucky.

When considering something like this I will always read as much as I can then seek commercial advice. My dear old Dad used to say you were much less likely to be taken in with salesmen’s claims if you actually knew what you wanted to buy and what you needed to get out of it.

I do hope people aren’t taken in by this!

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Found the install video...
Alpha batteries "reached out to him" and wanted to flog the lithium to him at a discount in return for some "exposure"

BRB just putting the coffee and popcorn machine on.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
edit.. I'l come back to that actually as I can see better in a different part of the video

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I think those don't have the inbuilt BMS. I think the ones he has are 120Ah with inbuilt BMS, priced at £1299.99 each.
The discharge graph from alpha batteries states 100ah
I think I've found the source of confusion. The batteries he uses are 100Ah. Relion RB100-D, at £799. They do not have anything in the way of BMS. He talks about being assured that the batteries are 'drop-in replacements' for lead-acid ones.

The Relion 'Insight' series of batteries are quite a bit more expensive, and have a built-in BMS. Because of this, the manufacturers claim they are drop-in replacements for lead-acid batteries. The BMS is supposed to take care of the charging and cell balancing. The BMS acts as a built-in B2B charger, powered by whatever the MH battery charger(s) will throw at it.

Sounds like he (or the sales person) got their wires crossed on that one.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Autorouter,
I think they do have a bms, not accessible by user, but is there even if it’s a crude one. It must have basic bleeding boards, LVD HVD.
What amazed me is, it drained it down to 8.xx volts, 2.xx cell and brought them back. Without the aid of a bms, those cells would of been all over. So I think there is a board inside.
The new line of Li from victron, black case, they are the same, bms inside no access. No needed.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
I bet if Alpha had tested the batteries and they were FUBAR the guy wouldn't have got his money back so easily, if at all..

My comment I edited above was horse manure by the way, as what I thought was a cable bypassing the shunt was actually a cable joining the two batteries together so I jumped the gun a bit there..
I've got bored of trying to figure out what went wrong with this install now and moved on to cooking dinner instead :D

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
The Relion RB series do have a BMS that protects and balances the battery cells.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I think I've found the source of confusion. The batteries he uses are 100Ah. Relion RB100-D, at £799. They do not have anything in the way of BMS. He talks about being assured that the batteries are 'drop-in replacements' for lead-acid ones.
All Relion batteries have a Battery Management System (BMS).

This link deals with a number of issues including using an existing charger and alternator problems.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Thank you Two on Tour
I will have a look later. Just up on Autobahn. Crossed last night.
Bloody roadworks, m20 m26 shut

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Well I found the video educational. I think I now know what not to buy, how not to instal it and how not to use it . I think!!

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Got to about 3 minutes in on the solar and lithium upgrades ⚠️
Lost the will to live ?
Do people really watch this crap ??

Brockley

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Chausson 630 + mods!
Exp
Since 2006
I'd love to convert to a more efficient solar/battery system, but I worry about the risk of fire from shorting out. I appreciate BMS's should do their job, but can they detect dendrites forming and creating a short between the anode & cathode before the temperature of the battery becomes an issue?

I'm keeping an open mind for now and watching how John B. Goodenough goes on with his far more efficient solid state battery (zero risk of shorting). I think a lot will depend on who takes up their development, feel sure it will be car manufacturers, but really hoping leisure batteries will be targeted during the inevitable development.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I'd love to convert to a more efficient solar/battery system, but I worry about the risk of fire from shorting out. I appreciate BMS's should do their job, but can they detect dendrites forming and creating a short between the anode & cathode before the temperature of the battery becomes an issue?

They‘d ’burst’ like a fusible link; can’t see that being a problem. I understood they were considered a potential problem in low voltage/current ’control’ circuits.

Ian

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a

I'm keeping an open mind for now and watching how John B. Goodenough goes on with his far more efficient solid state battery (zero risk of shorting). I think a lot will depend on who takes up their development, feel sure it will be car manufacturers, but really hoping leisure batteries will be targeted during the inevitable development.
You are mixing up chemistry!!
Lifep04 is much safer and does not turn into a runaway fireball when something goes wrong.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
You are mixing up chemistry!!
Lifep04 is much safer and does not turn into a runaway fireball when something goes wrong.
Another possible mix-up is confusing 'Lithium-ion' and 'Lithium Iron'. All the Lithium batteries are Lithium-ion. Only one of them (LiFePO4, Lithium Iron Phosphate) is Lithium Iron. Lithium Iron Phosphate is the breakthrough technology that makes Lithium batteries acceptably safe. Nothing is completely safe, right? It will kill you if it drops on your head from a hundred feet.

The table at the bottom of this page sums it up, for those that are interested.
<Broken link removed>

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
but I worry about the risk of fire from shorting out

You shouldn't worry. They are one of the safest batteries you can buy. While they are lithium, The LiFePO4 batteries are the safest type of Lithium batteries and not those you associate with bursting into flames. They don't get hot and overheat, even if you puncture and short them. (y)

Sep 15, 2018
Funster No
MH
Self build
Exp
Since 2009
Just a thought! Been looking at the relion site linked to above and it states that their LiFopo4 batteries would make an ideal starter battery. Is there anything wrong with using one battery as a starter battery and a leisure battery? I don’t know much about lithium so just asking!

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Yes, if they have internal bms and they both cut the power while the engine is running, you will fry your alternator. Not to mention the complete waste of money.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Oh that's £318 quid delivered. Less than half the price of any other lifep04 i've found

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back