Lithium Batteries - Am I missing the point (1 Viewer)

Aug 23, 2019
Shropshire, Market Drayton, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
since 2017
We met a bloke at the weekend who was singing the praises of Lithium batteries. We have motorhomed for 5 years and have 2 x 100amp hr lead acid batteries plus 100 watt solar panel. We rarely use EHU and spend most of our time on CS or THS for approx 12 weeks per season. We have never had a problem with power so I'm not sure why I would spend £900 on Lithium. I know they are lighter and more powerful but it would probably be easier to leave the wife at home than change!:LOL: Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Deleted User
I guess everyone has different needs, i changed over to x2 lithium 95 ah batteries from AGM which compliment 2000 w of solar.
Why, because our van has a compressor fridge/freezer, diesel heating and two kids onboard with i pads and phones.
Plus we camp all year when solar input from oct onwards is poor.
Last Oct in the Lakes, heavy rain ment confinement in the van, AGM power lasted two days.
I've never managed to be depleted below 70% and more importantly if low on charge a very quick recharge is available by running the engine.
Lithium can accept much higher charge rates from vehicles with smart alternators.
Game changer for me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We met a bloke at the weekend who was singing the praises of Lithium batteries. We have motorhomed for 5 years and have 2 x 100amp hr lead acid batteries plus 100 watt solar panel. We rarely use EHU and spend most of our time on CS or THS for approx 12 weeks per season. We have never had a problem with power so I'm not sure why I would spend £900 on Lithium. I know they are lighter and more powerful but it would probably be easier to leave the wife at home than change!:LOL: Any thoughts would be appreciated.

It depends on your usage. If you have a compressor fridge, watch a lot of TV, or use an inverter a lot, lithium makes much more sense than for someone who has a few LED lights and a water pump and little else. There are other side benefits, such as being able to leave it in storage over winter with little/no solar for 6 months and have it still at almost exactly the same charge % as you left it.

Upvote 0

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
We had a 120Ah Lithium Battery fitted in mid-July to replace a [fitted new in April by Dealer] bottom of the range Lead Acid 100Ah which struggled to keep up. Cost was £749 including fitting and it has removed all the 'range anxiety', enabling us to book for Autumn events without having to fret about grabbing an EHU. For us, it has been a solid investment, no 'latest gadget/shiny kit syndrome', just a practical way of powering the 12v system.

Battery has 10 year guarantee, so if it sees off 4 Lead Acid equivalents, it won't be that much more expensive in the long run.

Steve

Upvote 2
Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
It’s down to personal usage and how you feel about your set up, l feel content in not having to worry about consumption no matter the weather or my movements if l want to stay in one place for a month l could. We use electric kettle,coffee machine,TV,Amazon Prime etc,two electric bikes, Mac,iPads,phones and so on. Solar, 360amph Lithium,EFoy sorted.

Upvote 2

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
As everyone above has stated, you only 'need' to upgrade if your current setup doesn't suit your situation.

We can still get away for 4 nights at a festival with only 170w of solar and 100ah battery, but then it's only running lights and charging batteries for that weekend.

It's different if we're wild camping no where near a pub or similar, and it's raining all weekend when we need the heating on, probably the TV in evening and struggling with solar, but then it's probably time for a drive anyway.

So, I'm holding off at the moment

Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
Depends on usage, if you mainly use between April and September, then production from solar is more useful than storage, whether its lead or lithium, it sounds like solar fits your usage, so stick with what you have.
We have 420w of solar and 246ah of gel, but use mainly out of season, so storage is more important to us, so when the gels die we might consider lithium then, especially if prices drop by then.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
No one "needs" to upgrade to Lithium batteries. I chose to and am really glad I did. I no longer really give power a concern, be it 12 volt or 220 volt

The only disadvantage of Lithium is the cost, everything else is better in my opinion so if cost is a concern you shouldn't do it, if cost isn't the number one decision making factor there are no other negatives

Upvote 1

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I suspect that when my 2 top of the range Banner ( :rolleyes: ) lead acid batteries give up (four years & counting) I might very well consider Lithium replacement... I expect that will also mean solar controller & charger.

My current set up is basic (= cheap) but seems to be adequate so far...
...although my new compressor freezer box seems to be challenging the capacity.

Upvote 1
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
We had a 120Ah Lithium Battery fitted in mid-July to replace a [fitted new in April by Dealer] bottom of the range Lead Acid 100Ah which struggled to keep up. Cost was £749 including fitting and it has removed all the 'range anxiety'
That's a pretty good price for 120Ah. What make of lithium is it?

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I've just got a single 100Ah lead acid battery and a 150w solar panel. We just did a week away without EHU and only moved the van once. There's a shunt somewhere in the system, because we can see percentage charge on the battery. We never got below 80%. The battery was normally charged by 1pm, so the solar was idle most of the day.

However, that week was very low use. The fridge was on gas. We charged a phones and a tablet. Used the radio a few times. Used the laptop via a small invertor a few times during daylight hours.

However, I want to keep going away during the Autumn and Spring when the solar panel will provide less power. And as we can both work from laptops now, I'd like to head somewhere on a Thursday night and work from the van on Friday. A pair of laptops will hit the battery much harder. Might also want to put the heating on, which is a couple of amps of continuous draw. In which case, a Lithium battery would be far more useful.

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
If you stay on sites with EHU then battery types and solar set ups are of no real concern. If however your thing is touring and staying on aires etc, then you need a decent system to operate.
Our system is excellent. 3 x 120 AH gel batteries fed by solar tracker and running an inverter. No loss of power ever.
When the batteries die, I might investigate Lithium and lose one battery to save some weight (which is a big consideration to some) There will be no additional gain in the already perfect performance.
Phil

Upvote 0

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
If you stay on sites with EHU then battery types and solar set ups are of no real concern. If however your thing is touring and staying on aires etc, then you need a decent system to operate.
Our system is excellent. 3 x 120 AH gel batteries fed by solar tracker and running an inverter. No loss of power ever.
When the batteries die, I might investigate Lithium and lose one battery to save some weight (which is a big consideration to some) There will be no additional gain in the already perfect performance.
Phil
Those trackers are the dogs bits, I just can't justify one.

Upvote 1
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I guess everyone has different needs, i changed over to x2 lithium 95 ah batteries from AGM which compliment 2000 w of solar.
I would expect your charge rate to be massive with 2000 w of solar.... 🤔

Personnally at the moment our usage would not justify the cost.

But never say never!

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Anyone considering assembling their own battery? I've just ordered 24 x 285Ah cells which with the addition of a BMS per battery will make six 285Ah 12v batteries.
I've been watching the YouTube channels. Doesn't look too hard. My biggest worry is whether the cells you buy from Alibaba will be any good.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I've been watching the YouTube channels. Doesn't look too hard. My biggest worry is whether the cells you buy from Alibaba will be any good.
I paid £94 for 24. As long as I get 3 good ones................. And bought from Wish using credit card backed PayPal 😊

Upvote 0
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I paid £94 for 24. As long as I get 3 good ones................. And bought from Wish using credit card backed PayPal 😊
24 pieces of 280Ah lithiums for £94 all in. Really!! I'd expect that kind of price for 2800mAh. I'd love to see the link for those.

Upvote 0
Mar 12, 2021
Renfrew Scotland
Funster No
MH
kontiki sport
Exp
20 years tugging .5 years MOH.
It’s down to personal usage and how you feel about your set up, l feel content in not having to worry about consumption no matter the weather or my movements if l want to stay in one place for a month l could. We use electric kettle,coffee machine,TV,Amazon Prime etc,two electric bikes, Mac,iPads,phones and so on. Solar, 360amph Lithium,EFoy sorted.
What no mention of the toaster, hair dryer, and curly tongs 😂😂

Upvote 0

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
That's a pretty good price for 120Ah. What make of lithium is it?
KS Energy at Stourport. Recommended to a fellow Funster, who recommended them to me (so I'm the 3rd in the line of recommendations! 10 year guarantee.

We did a free pub stop at Old Rose & Crown Public House on outskirts of Stourport, and, flukily, it was only 1/2 mile or so from KS Energy!

Steve

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back