Lite bike lock in production- may be of interest (1 Viewer)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Funny you should say that I told them I posted here and my next tack will be ...... Cost!
I bet if we had lots of guaranteed orders we might get some offer .
I can try.LC
Might be worth mentioning that Motorhome Fun currently has over 23000 members (plenty of bike & e-bike owners) with a lively forum (normally around 800 people online most of the day) plus a lot of past as well as current posts that come up on Google searches for those looking for motorhoming & other related info. (y)
Has worked when we have negotiated Funster deals previously with TyrePal & Van Comfort :) Hope that Litelok can see the potential for orders...

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Not fussed about a discount. As soon as they become available or they confirm a despatch date for pre orders I'm ordering some.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Lindacarole

Lindacarole

Free Member
Mar 23, 2014
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta Van
Exp
Now a year !
Would be good if we could manage to get a funsters discount organised.
Looks a very interesting product.

Yep have emailed and asked already
I also suggested they speak to Jim about an advert on the site.

No idea if they will give a discount, as the product has just been crowd funded, and only just near release they may want to see how it sells.

But I have asked
LC

OP
OP
Lindacarole

Lindacarole

Free Member
Mar 23, 2014
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta Van
Exp
Now a year !
Not fussed about a discount. As soon as they become available or they confirm a despatch date for pre orders I'm ordering some.

They told me Feb for dispatch and when I said I might be away they replied they would inform me of a delay and hold the order till I got back.

LC

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Looks interesting, the only thing I worry about these days with bike locks is their resistance to cordless angle grinders, never saw one used in the vid, maybe a layer of ballistic nylon as used in chainsaw pants would see off that threat ?

Ballistic nylon in chainsaw trousers works by releasing a mass of fibres that clog the chain and sprockets against the saw's internal housing, so the chain stops. They are highly unlikely to stop an angle grinder.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Ballistic nylon in chainsaw trousers works by releasing a mass of fibres that clog the chain and sprockets against the saw's internal housing, so the chain stops. They are highly unlikely to stop an angle grinder.
That second video shows a long attack with an angle grinder, not seen a lock stand up like that before.

fleurette

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I640 SD
Exp
Like this product very much and have placed my order for x2. After having my Batri-bike pinched off the rear of the van last year in Calais on the Aire at 4 in the morning the home insurance covered the replacement cost so added a bit more to the cash settlement and splashed out on a Koga E-Deluxe and consider the price of these locks a small price to pay for the level of security they represent.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Like this product very much and have placed my order for x2. After having my Batri-bike pinched off the rear of the van last year in Calais on the Aire at 4 in the morning the home insurance covered the replacement cost so added a bit more to the cash settlement and splashed out on a Koga E-Deluxe and consider the price of these locks a small price to pay for the level of security they represent.
Only as good as to what they are secured to....an aluminum bike rack hardly safe

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
That second video shows a long attack with an angle grinder, not seen a lock stand up like that before.
Nor have I. It looks good. Just didn't want peeps to think that chain saw trousers will give much protection from an angle grinder.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
as already said, a fiamma bike rack takes seconds to cut or just as easy to take the rack as well as the bikes

back to the lock, I would like to see video of the locking mechanism being attacked with an angle grinder, but on the bench so it shows up

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
It looks like it's got secure gold (bike) approval. Covers the requirements for my bike insurance so can't be a bad thing. Will take a closer look at these I think.

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Funny you should say that I told them I posted here and my next tack will be ...... Cost!

We are also away when they are to be released, they did offer to hold one back . I am thinking of purchasing when I get back if stock is not showing before we leave.

I bet if we had lots of guaranteed orders we might get some offer .

I can try.

LC

We are away till end April but would be interested in one of these, unless my bike gets pinched before I get back, oh hope i didnt just tempt fate:doh:

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Interesting to see that the cropper and hacksaw attack were in good light but the angle grinder in very poor light. Couldn't really see how hard he was trying or what effect it had on the lock.
Still looks like a good product though (y)

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Interesting to see that the cropper and hacksaw attack were in good light but the angle grinder in very poor light. Couldn't really see how hard he was trying or what effect it had on the lock.
Exactly what I thought.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.

Methinks the gloom was to give dramatic effect to the sparks.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Where did all the Sparks come from!!

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Nor have I. It looks good. Just didn't want peeps to think that chain saw trousers will give much protection from an angle grinder.

I only mentioned ballistic nylon as I once caught a bit of rag with an angle grinder whilst grinding on the bench, the rag whipped round the disc and spindle in a split second, stopped it dead and broke two teeth off the large gear in the grinder's gearbox.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I only mentioned ballistic nylon as I once caught a bit of rag with an angle grinder whilst grinding on the bench, the rag whipped round the disc and spindle in a split second, stopped it dead and broke two teeth off the large gear in the grinder's gearbox.

Interesting to hear this: I've seen people using chainsaw PPE for other uses, thinking that they would also get protection but I've been dubious and was warned against it when doing forestry courses. I'd be interested to see how often a grinder stops when in contact with rags / ballistic nylon compared to a chainsaw.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
that gold rating.. Is it a Thatcham rating ?
If it is then it is something new...
If it ain't then it will ( sadly ) be pretty meaningless

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Not a belated anniversary pressie then!!:Grin:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

http://www.soldsecure.com

It's not new and it's nothing to do with Thatcham. I believe they just deal with motor vehicle security don't they?

It's the industry standard for quite a few different types of security product and has been for quite a few years. All serious bike lock manufacturers aim at the Gold standard.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ta.... I know sweet fanny Adams a out push iron stuff, but in the motorbike world it would have to have a Thatcham rating

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've had a response to my email:

FROM ME:

Hi, first of all congratulations on inventing a great bike lock, something which a lot of my motorhome owning friends are getting quite 'excited' about owning! However, I have one major concern about it and that is to do with the length, it is very short in my opinion.

We often find that there isn't a 'narrow' post/railing etc to secure our bikes to, especially as they have a fatter frame, so a longer length version would be better for us.

Whilst I appreciate that a twin pack can be bought (with matched key) having to spend twice as much when just a longer strap section is all that is needed seems rather over the top ... for us it would mean buying 4!

I wouldn't want to risk buying the existing length ones and then finding I couldn't use them in practice, but being able to get some longer ones would be ideal so can you tell me if there are any plans to do a longer strap version?

Thanks​

THEIR RESPONSE:

Hi Mel,
Thanks for your message and your kind words.

Currently, the Litelok® length has been optimised to be as light as possible while still being able to be attached to the majority of fixed objects from the bike. We have tested this out many times in the street and other settings.

However, there has been a few enquiries like yours to make a longer version of the lock. The product that is for sale now is the first version of Litelok®. After we deliver this to our Kickstarter backers and pre-orderers, we will be working on bringing out new product ranges in the near future.

Many thanks on your feedback of Litelok, it's great to get the views of enthusiastic cyclists like yourself and helps us see what positive changes we can make in the future.

Kind Regards,
Matt​

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back