List of items for trip abroad ? (1 Viewer)

JimboT

Free Member
Nov 6, 2013
Welwyn Garden City
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Is there a list anywhere of items you should take traveling abroad mainly France Italy and Germany.
High Viz vest when i took the car years ago.
Any tips advice driving on the wrong side of the road!
First trip looking like Montpellier end Feb
Thanks
Jim

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi vis yes...one for everyone on board and kept in the van...not in an outside locker as they MUST be worn before getting out on the roadside.

fire extinguisher.

not sure if spare bulbs are still compulsory, maybe not as some cant be changed roadside.

large note on windscreen or steering wheel stating 'DRIVE ON RIGHT'

so easy after an overnight stop to forget if the roads are quiet.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
First Aid kit and fire extinguisher:
The European Good Samaritan Law requires every driver to stop and provide assistance when an accident is encountered, providing it is safe to do so. This may require a first aid kit and fire extinguisher and it is advisable to have these items when driving in France.

heres a list of essentials but some maybe outdated...(breathalyser etc)

http://www.go-to-france.co.uk/pages/Driving.htm

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
corkscrew
Credit card

spare glasses if you wear them
1 hi viz per person
warning triangle (2 in Spain)
spare bulb set
fire extinguisher
breathilyzer is still on the books, make your own mind up
speed stickers to the rear if you are over 3500kgs
GB sign
Headlight Light correctors
make sure your sat nav does NOT have speed cams or it will be confiscated

Upvote 0

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
2 pin Continental adaptor for EHU.
Decent steel pegs. Ditch the little wire ones.
Torch and spare bty's.
WD 40, 3 in 1 oil, rags and superglue.
I carry a small collapsible spade-- just in case

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
A second credit card on a separate account as insurance incase your regular card account gets lost or blocked.

ACSI book and card

All the Aires book

A good road atlas

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
You'll adapt to the 'wrong' side of the road very quickly on the highway, but don't forget the same applies in shopping centre, visitor attraction and service station car parks.

I'm usually OK with that in France - it's when I get back to Britain and start driving out of Sainsburys on the right that causes the problems. I can get France flashbacks for up to a month after the holiday's over. Probably age.

Upvote 0

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Echo what everyone said re kit, but just an opinion on Montpellier - we tried it this year and it was a total disaster! We went all over France last September and everywhere we went was very motorhome friendly, apart from Montpellier. It is a very 'green' city with trams everywhere, roads are very narrow, kerbs are VERY high. We tried to get into the Park and Ride - here's a tip - DON'T! When we passed the point of no return, we found a height barrier going into the car park and had to drive the wrong way up the tram lines to turn around to get out! We finally escaped the town by driving through and around the Old Town (with wing mirrors folded in) and got onto any motorway we could find, even if it was going in the wrong direction, to get out!

We should have guessed really, everywhere else in France every other vehicle we saw was a motorhome (bit of an exaggeration, but you get my drift...), but as we drove into Montpellier I remember commenting - 'funny, I haven't seen one other motorhome yet....'

Does anyone else have the same memories of Motorhoming in Montpellier, would be interested to know, not that we will ever go there again!

Upvote 0

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Trip

Hi

I always have photocopies of paperwork - known as an ICE pack - available in the van and left with someone in the UK.

When I started motorhoming, I was advised to ensure everything was legal, paperwork etc all OK, anything else that is forgotten can usually be picked up en route. It's good advice and I have quoted it many times.

A really good map is a boon too - forget the satnav, it will conk out at some point.

Russell

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
And .....If it can make you feel more confident : my mobile number so you can call for help! Just PM me if you want it. Once abroad it might be too late if you have no connexion to ask for some help on FUN!

Also .... be very careful as a pedestrian! You'll have to look LEFT first! And don't trust French drivers when on pedestrian crossing paths.....you could be as mashed as a potatoe:Doh:

Happy New Year!

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JimboT

JimboT

Free Member
Nov 6, 2013
Welwyn Garden City
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
this is where i have to get to look slap bang in the town they do take motorhomes !
Link Removed
800 miles there and 800 back! 1 days travel?
jim

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Had a quick look at it on Google Maps, it seems as though its on the outskirts so you should be OK!

Looks a brilliant event - have a good time. :Smile:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back