Oct 16, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi all,

We have an old motorhome. The only way to fill up the water tank is by sticking a hose in the hole and filling it up manually. When we run out of water, we have to drive the motorhome to the tap and plug in the hose and fill it again manually.

If we can not park within 25 ft the tap I have to walk over and fill up my 25 Ltr water container but then I have no way of getting the water into the tank.

I saw this on Amazon but it says it doesn't pump uphill and if the container is on the floor it would need to pump upwards into the tank. The only way to get over this would be to try and lift the container on the roof which is ridiculous.

My question is, does anyone know of any pump that is 12v or battery operated that would do the job? I'm sure there must be other funsters in the same boat as me. Or rather in the same motorhome :)

Tec.

Johnnyb

Free Member
Jan 21, 2015
Yorks/Derbys
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
10 Litre watering, like others have said..... cheap, easy, reliable (y)

You will have the added bonus of a little bit of exercise too :D

We have kept our 100 litre tank topped up this way for the last two years. To save so many trips to the tap I carry the watering can and a 10l jerrycan, one in each hand......balanced and comfortable :)
This is exactly what I do, two quick trips and you've added 40 litres.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Why not drive nearer the tap and fill up thats why its got an engine. I can never see why people buy a motorhome if they want to sit in one place on a site for a week at a time that's what caravans are for
That's just what I said posts ago, just don't see the problem, we have a 90 ltr tank and it lasts us at least 3 days, why the hell do you want to cart water about and mess about with pumps and stuff, just shove your hose in.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
That's just what I said posts ago, just don't see the problem, we have a 90 ltr tank and it lasts us at least 3 days, why the hell do you want to cart water about and mess about with pumps and stuff, just shove your hose in.
Same here, why would you want to hump water when you can drive to the tap.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tecnikal

Tecnikal

Free Member
Oct 16, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
I'm amazed that some of you assume that I hadn't thought of just driving to the tap and that I sit in the campsite all week dehydrating.

My problem doesn't necessarily happen on a campsite. I am away nearly every weekend for between 1-3 nights. Usually as a trader (for example) at a Steam Rally, County show, Vintage fair etc.

They usually provide a tap for drinking water but ...

1. They usually don't allow vehicle movement when the event is open to the public.
2. The tap is usually in a place that is not accessible to vehicles.
3. You are usually blocked for the duration of the event and can't move your vehicle until the event finishes. Sometimes you are there for 4 days.

... but you are allowed to walk to the tap and get water. I don't have a modern motorhome that I can just hook up an aqua roll like everyone else does, so was merely asking if there was a submersible pump available that I could plug into a 12v (like the cigarette lighter) or if there was a spout or something that would attach to a water container so I could lift it up and pour it in (similar to the ones on petrol cans). I just wanted to know how to get the water into the water tank when I am not able to get near a tap to plug in a hose.

It's not a major issue but was just seeking a little friendly advice.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If you use 60 ltrs of fresh water in a couple of days how do you empty your grey waste tank.?

Presumably using some kind of water carrier to the waste point so take an empty fresh water carrier when you dump the grey water.
Empty carrier weighs next to nothing and each journey to the dump and back again only entails one full and one empty carrier.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
It's Fun (y) always gives good advice meanders along goes of tangent and back to original question -see my first post agreeing with old Mo 's post -Then you got an even cheaper answer from Peter at johns cross which is even cheaper because he gives funsters a 10% discount ;):)
terry

Upvote 0
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
I carry some X hose, a watering can and a 12v transfer pump. Got most situations covered....:smiley:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tecnikal

Tecnikal

Free Member
Oct 16, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
If you use 60 ltrs of fresh water in a couple of days how do you empty your grey waste tank.?

Presumably using some kind of water carrier to the waste point so take an empty fresh water carrier when you dump the grey water.
Empty carrier weighs next to nothing and each journey to the dump and back again only entails one full and one empty carrier.

Very good plan. Pappajohn. That a great way of doing two jobs in one (y)

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Ladies excepted..... Are you lot wimpy penpushers or what?

10ltrs here, 20ltrs there.....

I just moved 300 ltrs of heating oil in 12 x 25ltr drums.

One in each hand to balance the load and steady away.

Only 50mtrs but bear in mind it was 6 trips none stop.
One trip would almost fill the tank.

Upvote 0
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Ladies excepted..... Are you lot wimpy penpushers or what?

10ltrs here, 20ltrs there.....

I just moved 300 ltrs of heating oil in 12 x 25ltr drums.

One in each hand to balance the load and steady away.

Only 50mtrs but bear in mind it was 6 trips none stop.
One trip would almost fill the tank.

Personally I just use gas or electric in my van........:roflmto:

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I'm amazed that some of you assume that I hadn't thought of just driving to the tap and that I sit in the campsite all week dehydrating.

My problem doesn't necessarily happen on a campsite. I am away nearly every weekend for between 1-3 nights. Usually as a trader (for example) at a Steam Rally, County show, Vintage fair etc.

1. They usually don't allow vehicle movement when the event is open to the public.
3. You are usually blocked for the duration of the event and can't move your vehicle until the event finishes. Sometimes you are there for 4 days.

... but you are allowed to walk to the tap and get water. I don't have a modern motorhome that I can just hook up an aqua roll like everyone else does, so was merely asking if there was a submersible pump available that I could plug into a 12v (like the cigarette lighter) or if there was a spout or something that would attach to a water container so I could lift it up and pour it in (similar to the ones on petrol cans). I just wanted to know how to get the water into the water tank when I am not able to get near a tap to plug in a hose.

Now I see the point but it just isn't just on old vans .Ours is nearly new but just a cap like yours I would't want an aqua roll we just stop next to the tap and fill up (but our tank is a lot bigger). The whale pump would suit your use but if you were on a French aire and paid for 100l water would be a right pain. The reason wht I thought that you just sat on the campsite dehydrating is that some do!!!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tecnikal

Tecnikal

Free Member
Oct 16, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Now I see the point but it just isn't just on old vans .Ours is nearly new but just a cap like yours I would't want an aqua roll we just stop next to the tap and fill up (but our tank is a lot bigger). The whale pump would suit your use but if you were on a French aire and paid for 100l water would be a right pain. The reason wht I thought that you just sat on the campsite dehydrating is that some do!!!!

Wait... you have to PAY for water on Aire's?

Upvote 0

sid1234

Free Member
Jun 3, 2014
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
why don't you take the full water container inside the van put it on the kitchen counter or somewhere high attach a hose, feed the hose through the window, tip the container on its side and let gravity do the rest.

Upvote 0
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
When we first had the van I would fill the 10 ltr jerrycan, hold it up above the height of the van filler nozzle, stick a hose in, suck the end and then syphon the water out! Then one day if France I saw a Frenchman with a compact watering can......... it was quicker and easier! So I bought one, that was probably about 4000 litres ago :eek:(y)

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Cheap, cheerful and very effective if you have a battery drill.
1500ltr per hour so should take around 2 minutes to fill your 60ltr tank so a battery drill will last for a long time.
Broken Link Removed

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

When we wild and can't get near water for several days, I have 2 x 20 Lt containers I fill, I've fitted a 12v socket in the garage & with a small submersible pump I can top up the main tank.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tecnikal

Tecnikal

Free Member
Oct 16, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
If you mean trade, I don't. I just used that as an example so I didn't have to go into lengthy explanations but basically I'm involved in the entertainments side at these events.

Thank you everyone for your advice. For now I have found a temporary solution with a petrol can style nozzle that fits my water container and I will look at the 12v options you suggested. I have more than enough information to go on. Thanks again everyone.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I use the same method a MinxGirl but the elbow I use is 80mm waste pipe version which fits nicely into the bigger bore, the recycles for the cap and then you don't need the funnel.
Dam, I didn't check my writing-autocorrection!!
Should have been the recess for the cap and not recycle!!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back