Lining up A frame to tow ball (1 Viewer)

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
IMG_4897.JPG
IMG_4898.JPG
IMG_4899.JPG
IMG_4902.JPG
IMG_4904.JPG
I would be interested to hear how Funsters line their Toad up to their Moho so that they can connect up. My towball is very close to the body at the back so I have to be very precise in order to avoid hitting the plastic behind the towball. I cannot fit a bumper Guard as the tow ball is a 4 bolt swanneck and the bolts are onboard of the rear. My method of lining up is to use this T shaped guide ( see photos). It is made of 20mm conduit and rests on the 2 screw-in towbars on the front of the toad. It is held horizontal by a small plastic L-bracket screwed to the conduit Tee. The front section of the Tee is made of foam insulation designed for central heating pipe. I just drive up to the Moho until the foam just touches the towball cover. ( I had to adjust it first time of use, now marked with white tape on the Conduit). Then I lower the A frame directly into the ball. This takes out all the guesswork. How do other Funsters do it?

Oct 27, 2013
Portglenone, Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
Do you reverse the van to the car, or drive the car to the van? How do you see the end of the foam over the bonnet? We also have a 500 as a toad, yet to tow it!

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I have a jockey wheel on my a-frame and I just drive up to the tow ball and job’s done.

Ideally, I try to set the height of the hitch to be about half way up the top half of the tow ball as this allows me to see the hitch ride up to the top of the tow ball and then drop down onto the tow ball. Once this happens it’s hand brake on and out to push the hitch all the way down and locked into place.

Ian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
My a frame has a jockey wheel so I can either drive up to hitch or leave
a frame down and reverse mhome to hitch and with camera can line up mm perfect.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I hold the a frame and my wife drives the car towards the towball.
We do the same but if scares me .. she slipped off the clutch once:doh:, but fortunately hit the brake in time:clap2: so no damage to moho or my legs.

At the NEC there were at least two companies selling a-frames with telescopic arms ... a great idea as it gave the frame lots of flexibility to be moved over the ball hitch easily .. once on just drive away very slowly until the arms extend and automatically lock solidly into place. My only concern was that the frames were a little light weight and I would prefer to see them slightly heavier and stronger.

OP
OP
Mr Chrysalis

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Do you reverse the van to the car, or drive the car to the van? How do you see the end of the foam over the bonnet? We also have a 500 as a toad, yet to tow it!
Alice prefers to reverse the vanto the car, using the pointing-down reversing camera to line up the tow ball and the pointing-back camera and mirrors for general view ( we have 2 screens). I prefer to drive the car to the van. If I lean forward in the seat I can see the foam at the end of the Tee

OP
OP
Mr Chrysalis

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
My a frame has a jockey wheel so I can either drive up to hitch or leave
a frame down and reverse mhome to hitch and with camera can line up mm perfect.
I used to have a jockey wheel (Armitage's) on the Smart Car, but as my tow ball is only about 2 inches from the plastic rear of the van, we had to be very careful, especially as the Smart had automatic gearbox and hence no clutch control

Last edited:
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
A frame held up by strap, reverse motorhome and line up using reversing camera, release strap, clunk. OK I might from time to time need a second shot or to pull or push the car a tiny bit but not often enough to worry me.

OP
OP
Mr Chrysalis

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
A frame held up by strap, reverse motorhome and line up using reversing camera, release strap, clunk. OK I might from time to time need a second shot or to pull or push the car a tiny bit but not often enough to worry me.
I can do the same with the arm held up ( horizontal) with a strap, but As there is only about an inch between the "cup" on the A frame and the van when located on the ball, I would only have to overrun by an inch to hit the van. As I cannot fit a bumper guard, I prefer to risk hitting it with the foam on my plastic Tee thing

Last edited:
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I can do the same with the arm held up ( horizontal) with a strap, but As there is only about an inch between the "cup" on the A frame and the van when located on the ball, I would only have to overrun by an inch to t
Hit the van. As I cannot fit a bumper guard, I prefer to risk hitting it with the foam on my plastic Tee thing
Luckily for me my ball is comfortably clear so I have room to overshoot a bit.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I used to have a jockey wheel (Armitage's) on the Smart Car, but as my tow ball is only about 2 inches from the plastic rear of the van, we had to be very careful, especially as the Smart had automatic and hence no clutch control

I prefer to reverse onto the a frame, a better overhead view from the camera so more accurate.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I always preferred to reverse the MH up to the A frame with the aid of the twin reversing camera. Having a jockey wheel on the frame and set higher than the hitch ball it seemed the easiest way.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
I hold the a frame and my wife drives the car towards the towball.
I drive and wifey holds the A frame, much safer!!! (wife don't drive )
Cheers, Dave:xThumb:

OP
OP
Mr Chrysalis

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
I always preferred to reverse the MH up to the A frame with the aid of the twin reversing camera. Having a jockey wheel on the frame and set higher than the hitch ball it seemed the easiest way.

I would do that if I could find a way to fit a bumper Guard but can't risk overrunning by an inch and hitting the van body

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I used to have a jockey wheel (Armitage's) on the Smart Car, but as my tow ball is only about 2 inches from the plastic rear of the van, we had to be very careful, especially as the Smart had automatic gearbox and hence no clutch control
I have a Smart car & I have heard others mention the lack of clutch control. It isn't something I've ever noticed. Simply hold the car on the brake (foot or hand whichever suits), increase rpm until the car wants to move then without moving the throttle use the brake to ease forward. Just like you would with a conventional automatic in fact.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
I would do that if I could find a way to fit a bumper Guard but can't risk overrunning by an inch and hitting the van body
Maybe a piece of plywood, padded both sides with u shaped cutout to slip over swan neck while coupling?

Malcolm

OP
OP
Mr Chrysalis

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Maybe a piece of plywood, padded both sides with u shaped cutout to slip over swan neck while coupling?

Malcolm
Yes thankyou. I have used a garden kneeler, but difficult to hold in place. Plywood is a good idea but it would have to be big enough to spread the force, and because of the shape I would probably need suction cups to hold it up

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Yes thankyou. I have used a garden kneeler, but difficult to hold in place. Plywood is a good idea but it would have to be big enough to spread the force, and because of the shape I would probably need suction cups to hold it up
I think the important bit is that you have already found an ingenious method that works for you. It may also work for others who have similar problems. Thank you for sharing this.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
My new van allows me to put it in the rear bedroom with folding beds, great innit?

489be3f2bcbdbcc773dec04d709f75a7--luxury-rv-smart-car.jpg

OP
OP
Mr Chrysalis

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
My new van allows me to put it in the rear bedroom with folding beds, great innit?

489be3f2bcbdbcc773dec04d709f75a7--luxury-rv-smart-car.jpg
Yes, but surely that leaves no room for the jacuzzi?

OP
OP
Mr Chrysalis

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Now you're just being silly, the Jacuzzi is further up, but I don't carry enough water to fill it.
I see, a roof mounted Jacuzzi. Very clever. Also handy to pull the plug just before you leave site to wash down the van I suppose?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back