Lindisfarne Causeway Car park blocked (1 Viewer)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Yo all,

The area of car park on mainland side of Lindisfarne (Beal) causeway used by many for wilding has been blocked to all vehicles by a very large piece of concrete effectively closing it. Only the smaller part of the car park is open which is unsuitable for wilding. Will make enquirie's whilst up in area this weekend.

I'm told the car park is owned by the farmer who also owns "The Barn at Beal" and is leased to the council for parking, so guessing now summers here he wants folk to use his campsite (not cheap)

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
We stopped in the little bit 4 weeks ago along with 3 other vans. Water was up to the car park when we got there.
Had a good day round the island next day.
May stop there on the way down to Malvern tomorrow.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
If the land is privately owned by a farmer I wonder if he (or the council leasing it) has become aware that by allowing people to "wild camp" there he is in danger of breaching the 1960 Act and being fined? That would be as much of an incentive wouldn't it? :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
The whole place is an exercise in money-grabbing. And for what??A ruined priory, and a run down castle.
Rather spend the day in Berwick. (y)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
........ he wants folk to use his campsite (not cheap)

And why not ?

A camp site is a big investment. If it were your camp site would you let people camp for free ?

Just had a look at the site.. it's £15 per night with free showers and hot water, toilets and washing up area.. but No EHU .. as you say, not cheap but not that expensive.

Broken Link Removed

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
If it were your camp site would you let people camp for free ?
Yes, I think I would Jim. There is so little charity these days! Not only would my site be free, but I would also provide free breakfasts as well, and EHU, at my personal expense.........

The water might be a tad expensive, at £5.00 a litre, but hey, you can only try to please!:)

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
T
We hope to go there in a week or so, the sort of place I think you should visit once, we intend to stay here
http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/outandabout/2014/aug/event21163/

That's where we are as I write it is a good walk from the Barn complex. It's a large field so plenty of room. It's well signed down a hardcore track on South side of road running down toward causeway. Good all round views down to the shore a few minutes walk away along a well marked footpath. Rubbish bins, élsan disposal and fw, site is largely hidden from road and is very peaceful. Cost is £8 per night per unit no extra's for dogs, kids or awning.

Your link is to th C & CC members only section so non members cannot view it :-(

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
Your link is to th C & CC members only section so non members cannot view it :-(

My mistake thanks for telling other peeps know that its a £8.00 a night temporary holiday site near the Barn at Beal.

How do you get to the island can you catch the bus or do you drive?

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
A few weeks ago we went to look at the causeway while we were up that way in the motorhome. We knew the tide was coming in so did not expect to get over. Sure enough the tide chart showed us that we were about an hour and a half too late. Parked up and went to look.

A large crowd was gathering watching an idiot in a motorhome trying to get over from the Island on the now covered causeway. He got to the middle refuge and then started going on accompanied by a large bow wave. Got about 100 feet and realised he was not going to make it. Stopped and started to reverse. Now, of course the tide was really flowing, so the Island side was deeper than when he went. Again a big bow wave only this time at the back. Eventually just about made it.

What possessed him to try it is beyond me, but he was very lucky not to be caught.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
A few weeks ago we went to look at the causeway while we were up that way in the motorhome. We knew the tide was coming in so did not expect to get over. Sure enough the tide chart showed us that we were about an hour and a half too late. Parked up and went to look.

A large crowd was gathering watching an idiot in a motorhome trying to get over from the Island on the now covered causeway. He got to the middle refuge and then started going on accompanied by a large bow wave. Got about 100 feet and realised he was not going to make it. Stopped and started to reverse. Now, of course the tide was really flowing, so the Island side was deeper than when he went. Again a big bow wave only this time at the back. Eventually just about made it.

What possessed him to try it is beyond me, but he was very lucky not to be caught.
That would have been a YouTube hit!"

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
My mistake thanks for telling other peeps know that its a £8.00 a night temporary holiday site near the Barn at Beal.

How do you get to the island can you catch the bus or do you drive?
The Steward has bus time tables (Berwick to Holy Island and return) along with Holy Island tide tables on the notice board outside the awning. Nothing stopping you taking the MH over there is a huge car park pay & display. It's a long walk but an enjoyable one and all on the level. Make sure you allow for the tides it's very flat so the water rises very rapidly once it starts.

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010

Safe crossing today from 6.30 pm they were queuing from 3.45pm on both ends of the causeway, they definately walk among us !!! Apologies for photo quality, zoomed and heavily cropped, the guy in the Freelander was inching forward every few minutes as the water receeded.

Attachments

• DSC05432a.jpg
    DSC05432a.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC05434a.jpg
    DSC05434a.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC05435a.jpg
    DSC05435a.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 69
OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Struggling a bit with posting images and text then editing text it seems to disapear, so apologies for previous no text post, should read "SomeoneElse" a few shots of the rally field it is huge and could accommodate 150+ units. Grass as can be seen is long 4-6 inches so if weather is forecast wet suggest you bring stout footwear. Ground is very firm and well drained so should not be a problem. I'm the Autotrail parked up at the SE field boundary close to the entrance, FW, Elsan and rubbish disposal.

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
To get back to the blocking off of the car park. The farmer has done this as this summer has been particularly bad for overnighters emptying their toilets over the hedge into his field. This obviously has health implications for him, his workers and stock, and he has to clean it up. So the thoughtless actions of a few have spoiled it for others, it will be interesting to see if the barrier is removed after the summer?.

Attachments

• DSC05436a.jpg
    DSC05436a.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 40

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
To get back to the blocking off of the car park. The farmer has done this as this summer has been particularly bad for overnighters emptying their toilets over the hedge into his field. This obviously has health implications for him, his workers and stock, and he has to clean it up. So the thoughtless actions of a few have spoiled it for others, it will be interesting to see if the barrier is removed after the summer?.
Perfectly understandable then.

It did strike me when I saw the OP that there are several parcels of land in this area blocked off in a similar manner - all supported by neighbouring residents/businesses and all measures taken to stop "traveller" activity.

Is it any wonder, given the farmer's experience, that it is so difficult to get a UK "aire" system off the ground?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.

Best excuse I've heard in recent years was "but surely that doesn't apply to tourists?"

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Same thing on the Strood across to Mersea. Floods every high tide and an unbelievable amout of idiots who think the can walk, or at least drive, on water.........

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back