Lincolnshire bans overnight stops in some carparks (1 Viewer)

Mar 16, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu T460
Exp
Feb 2017
It would appear to me that the problem is caused by anyone who thinks they can park wherever they like, fields, layby's, spare ground at the roadside, in the forest, car parks etc etc, i think some people who do this call it "Off Grid" or "Wild Camping" in an attempt to legitimise it.
No doubt those that do will dissagree with me.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
It would appear to me that the problem is caused by anyone who thinks they can park wherever they like, fields, layby's, spare ground at the roadside, in the forest, car parks etc etc, i think some people who do this call it "Off Grid" or "Wild Camping" in an attempt to legitimise it.
Oh good, I'm glad you don't mind people disagreeing with you. There is a responsible way of wild camping and the, we don't give a stuff way of wild camping. When you can distinguish between the two let us know.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Actually unless theres a specific sign saying otherwise as long as the vehicle is taxed MOT and insured you CAN park it anywhere.. . I don't attempt to legitimise anything ...but ill continue to park where i like regardless. And what i do inside my vehicle once its parked is my business alone regardless of what any out of date act says. These restrictions will never stop that

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
It would appear to me that the problem is caused by anyone who thinks they can park wherever they like, fields, layby's, spare ground at the roadside, in the forest, car parks etc etc,

Fields are a no no, but in England and Wales at least, laybys and spare ground at the roadside as you call it, are completely legal legitimate places to park up unless otherwise prohibited by byelaw (y)

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
There was a councillor a while back who was against an aire down Devon or Dorset way, I Googled her name and it turned out she owned a local campsite :unsure:
whichis why neither of the big clubs have any interest in providing for motor homes despite one of them changing its name to include them

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Actually unless theres a specific sign saying otherwise as long as the vehicle is taxed MOT and insured you CAN park it anywhere..
Only when the land is a highway as Jim pointed out:
Fields are a no no, but in England and Wales at least, laybys and spare ground at the roadside as you call it, are completely legal legitimate places to park up unless otherwise prohibited by byelaw (y)

Mar 16, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu T460
Exp
Feb 2017
"but ill continue to park where i like regardless. And what i do inside my vehicle once its parked is my business alone regardless of what any out of date act says. These restrictions will never stop that"

Travellers think that.
It's what makes them "antisocial" and those that are members of forums like this "off Grid Campers or Wild Campers" totally acceptable.
Double standards i think and pot calling kettle...................

Mar 16, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu T460
Exp
Feb 2017
"There is a responsible way of wild camping"
Yea, Travellers who park their caravans on car parks are no different, or are they ? I'm sure they can justify their position.

Reactions: GJH

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
"but ill continue to park where i like regardless. And what i do inside my vehicle once its parked is my business alone regardless of what any out of date act says. These restrictions will never stop that"

Travellers think that.
It's what makes them "antisocial" and those that are members of forums like this "off Grid Campers or Wild Campers" totally acceptable.
Double standards i think and pot calling kettle...................
Nope not double standards ...i personally have nothing against travellers. My only gripe with them is the ones that leave a mess behind them ... But they don't all do that. Many of them get a raw deal by a society thats stolen and aquired nearly every bit land in the country.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Yea, Travellers who park their caravans on car parks are no different, or are they ? I'm sure they can justify their position.
Yes they can justify their position and personally i fully support them in parking in carparks and other bits of land. Go back far enough in history and most of the land was stolen ....😉 .

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Yes they can justify their position and personally i fully support them in parking in carparks and other bits of land. Go back far enough in history and most of the land was stolen ....😉 .
I believe the acquirers of the land prefer the more genteel terms of 'annexation', 'appropriation' and 'forfeiture', the latter following some contrived or unproven misdemeanour ...

Steve

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I believe the acquirers of the land prefer the more genteel terms of 'annexation', 'appropriation' and 'forfeiture', the latter following some contrived or unproven misdemeanour ...

Steve
Aye but it still amounts to the same thing

Theft 😉

Deleted User
erm, i must have missed the part where i paid road tax, insurance and mot to be able to access public roads and visit public locations like any other vehicle?

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
You forgot to sign your post off, perhaps something like this would do.

Clueless from Shropshire.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
erm, i must have missed the part where i paid road tax, insurance and mot to be able to access public roads and visit public locations like any other vehicle?
Probably because, whilst paying VED and insurance and having a valid MoT allows you to use your vehicle on public roads it doesn't allow you to "visit public locations like any other vehicle".
Those "public" locations are actually owned by somebody (including those places owned by public bodies) and it is up to the owners who may access them and what they may be used for.

Deleted User
Probably because, whilst paying VED and insurance and having a valid MoT allows you to use your vehicle on public roads it doesn't allow you to "visit public locations like any other vehicle".
Those "public" locations are actually owned by somebody (including those places owned by public bodies) and it is up to the owners who may access them and what they may be used for.
sounds like a clear cut case of discrimination?
Driving a motorhome or living in one doesnt mean you are not entitled to visit a beach car park (presumably council run) during the day?

Being classed as a "free-loading" "litter dropping" motorhomer is prejudice an I thought that was illegal, besides which Ive probably paid more in to the local economy where ive been for the last 3 years or more than most of the day visiting tourists that are allowed to visit these places.
and no, im talking about buying a cup of tea and a cheese roll on my travels, more like well over £60k to local businesses, taxes and VAT. (and leaving places cleaner than i found them when i leave, including picking up things that the welcomed "under 2.4m day trip drivers" leave behind).

One place I visited (having spoken to the council who were down to clear up after "travellers") told me the beach id tried to get to, one of the locals had actually WELDED the height barriers in place to prevent them being opened during the day.. since damaging council property like that is apparently ok, time to get the angle grinder out...

Last edited by a moderator:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
sounds like a clear cut case of discrimination?
Driving a motorhome or living in one doesnt mean you are not entitled to visit a beach car park (presumably council run) during the day?

Being classed as a "free-loading" "litter dropping" motorhomer is prejudice an I thought that was illegal, besides which Ive probably paid more in to the local economy where ive been for the last 3 years or more than most of the day visiting tourists that are allowed to visit these places.
and no, im talking about buying a cup of tea and a cheese roll on my travels, more like well over £60k to local businesses, taxes and VAT. (and leaving places cleaner than i found them when i leave, including picking up things that the welcomed "under 2.4m day trip drivers" leave behind).

One place I visited (having spoken to the council who were down to clear up after "travellers") told me the beach id tried to get to, one of the locals had actually WELDED the height barriers in place to prevent them being opened during the day.. since damaging council property like that is apparently ok, time to get the angle grinder out...
It is discrimination only in the sense that the county council is banning larger vehicles (not just motorhomes), which means it is perfectly legal.
It is not prejudice and nobody is being prevented from using the beach because it is possible for drivers of larger vehicles to use another means of getting there (whether they do or not is up to them).
This is the latest response of the county council to abuse by people who think they can do as they like which has been going on for over 8 years to my knowledge (plenty of earlier threads to be found (e.g. this post from a Funster).
Whatever happens in other places and however beneficial the actions of some of us prove soes not alter the fact that the abuse in Lincolnshire is a fact.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
They can enforce it by passing the TRO as intended and ticketing vehicles that disobey the restriction.
It has been a problem for years so blame the abusers, not the council which has finally had enough of the abuse.
Then target the abusers not the easy " ****em all" option that most councils employ.
The reason being that the existing ban on camping has been abused by some for so long.
& councils have filed in there duty to crack down on it & are taking the easy way out.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
There was a councillor a while back who was against an aire down Devon or Dorset way, I Googled her name and it turned out she owned a local campsite :unsure:
That's par for the course, same as those incomers who "want to do there bit" & go on a parish council.After a short period suddenly they have a 'planning application':rolleyes:
Yea, Travellers who park their caravans on car parks are no different, or are they ?
depends if they are paying road tax, mot & insurance or poncing off the cloned plates using yours?
because it is possible for drivers of larger vehicles to use another means of getting there (
Not if it is the only means of transport & no, public of any sort does not count.

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Although East Suffolk have rescinded the original decision, you still can’t “sleep or cook” in the vehicle or any part of the parking bay. And the vehicle must be completely in the bay.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Not if it is the only means of transport & no, public of any sort does not count.
It is hardly the job of councils to cater for those who choose large vehicles as their only means of personal transport.

If public transport does not count, what are councils supposed to do about those people who can't afford personal transport, arrange for officers to give them lifts like personal taxi services?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Then target the abusers not the easy " ****em all" option that most councils employ.

& councils have filed in there duty to crack down on it & are taking the easy way out.
Perhaps you would like to explain to council tax payers throughout the country that their taxes have to rise to do so.

Mar 16, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu T460
Exp
Feb 2017
I did'nt forget to sign off at all. My avatar is there for everyone to see.
The problem is that not everyone has a Caravan, Campervan, Converted vehicle or Motorhome and those that dont have one of those (the majority of the population) see Caravans, Motorhomes all congregated in the same place and quite understandably think "Oh No", "How can we stop this".
People are prejudiced but political correctness stops them from calling a spade a spade, my experience and i have had many encounters with ****** is not a good one. Any body, business, institution is only as good as it's weakest link.
They have no sympathy from me at all, never seen one of them contribute to society.
How would you like it if they sent their children into your garden, your house and the kids ran off with your possesions and the adults (who wtch this happening) tell you in no uncertain terms that if you touch the kids you will regret it. Yes this is just one of my experiences with these "Wild and off grid campers".
Having an MOT, Insurance and road Tax is a requirement of law and allows you to drive and park your vehicle on Public Roads and public car parks but that does not mean you can park anywhere you like.
Stolen land ? how far back do you want to go.

Deleted User
It is discrimination only in the sense that the county council is banning larger vehicles (not just motorhomes), which means it is perfectly legal.
It is not prejudice and nobody is being prevented from using the beach because it is possible for drivers of larger vehicles to use another means of getting there (whether they do or not is up to them).
This is the latest response of the county council to abuse by people who think they can do as they like which has been going on for over 8 years to my knowledge (plenty of earlier threads to be found (e.g. this post from a Funster).
Whatever happens in other places and however beneficial the actions of some of us prove soes not alter the fact that the abuse in Lincolnshire is a fact.
disagree. Not it isnt possible to use an alternative means of transport in many cases.
As i said the beach i was going to for the day has no public transport links, and i have no other means of transport. I shouldnt need an alternative means of transport, I HAVE transport, and theres LOADS of room for parking there, masses of it.

So you are suggesting I should have to get on a train, then get a taxi with my two dogs and all the stuff i need for myself and them for the day because I own a MH? Thats not discriminative at all.

And on top of that, they do nothing about all the quads, trail bikes and 4x4's that destroy the dunes and drive up and down this beach? And the vans under 2.4m that fly tip tyres, washing machines etc. Ah but thats ok apparently (so long as we keep the taller vehicles out). Unfair bias is what it is.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
disagree. Not it isnt possible to use an alternative means of transport in many cases.
As i said the beach i was going to for the day has no public transport links, and i have no other means of transport. I shouldnt need an alternative means of transport, I HAVE transport, and theres LOADS of room for parking there, masses of it.

So you are suggesting I should have to get on a train, then get a taxi with my two dogs and all the stuff i need for myself and them for the day because I own a MH? Thats not discriminative at all.

And on top of that, they do nothing about all the quads, trail bikes and 4x4's that destroy the dunes and drive up and down this beach? And the vans under 2.4m that fly tip tyres, washing machines etc. Ah but thats ok apparently (so long as we keep the taller vehicles out). Unfair bias is what it is.
Perhaps a pause for thought - and consider that nobody forced any of us to buy our motorhomes, whether it is our sole means of private transport or not. When we buy them we know (or ought to) that there are some places it is not possible to take them.
Similarly, nobody is forced to have dogs but everyone who does needs to appreciate the difficulties that can pose.
Trains, taxis &c, are the only option for people who have no personal transport. Is Lincolnshire County Council to be accused of discrimination because it doesn't provide special buses for them? Of course not.
The fact is that large vehicles (not just motorhomes) have been banned because of proven abuse (an example of which I quoted) which has occurred for many years. It is the abusers, wasting local taxpayers' money that are to blame, not unfair bias.
If you have evidence identifying people damaging the area or fly tipping there then give it to the county council because they can only prosecute if they know who to prosecute.

Deleted User
some places its not possible to take them for good reason, yes I bought it on that understanding.
Barricading entrances to beaches with masses of room for parking and that doesnt obscure moaning local residents view from their houses, is not a good reason, its an unjustified bias assuming a tall vehicle is going to drop litter.
As a result of the councils decision to not allow access I had to park the motorhome... in the residential area! Genius policy!

proven abuse? Suggest they also ban all vehicles on that basis then, in fact all people.

Im just off to abandon my two dogs and drive off without them, so that I can use public transport and not be discriminated against. FYI you can takes dogs on most public transport including trains, the problem is one of my two isnt able to walk more than a few hundred yards (hence why i needed to drive to the huge beach car park which was about 80% empty).

Lastly, (which is the basis of your argument), people CHOOSE to have say gender reassignment, denying them access to anything or treating them in a manner different to anyone else is still discrimination and illegal.
Any form of differentially treatment due to being identified in a particular way or association discriminatory. Assuming unacceptable behaviour will occur purely due to this association is discriminatory.

Last edited by a moderator:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back