Lincolnshire bans overnight stops in some carparks (1 Viewer)

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
And some with a cassette toilet have dumped those in a hedge too 🤷🏻‍♂️. The few stories that have made the headlines has been cassettes being emptied not buckets
I totally agree with you.
As I originally said, the minority spoil it for the majority and there is always one or two rogues who will empty their crap all over the car park or hedge and who generally don’t give a sh!t.
Most motorhomes have a waste tank and toilet cassette that can be emptied at a later date and responsibly.
(I appreciate that not all do as I too have seen images on here of motorhomers emptying their cassette in a lay by) but what I’m saying is the council in this case has targeted ‘ Motorhomes ‘ for the cause of dumping grey and black waste.
What I am asking is what about vans and converted vans with no facilities whereby people are overnighting in?
That is my question.
By placing a length limit on parking is only going to solve large vehicles not taking up space, it’s not going to address the dumping issue.
Campervans and Motorhomes seem to get a bad rep in some sections of the press and not all of it is down to them. There’s other culprits out there as well.

As for quoting VW vans as an example, I was part of that VW cult following some years ago, carrying out a nut & bolt restoration on a 1974 Baywindow and following the VW festival scene etc. So I am very familiar with that scene. I used a VW day van as an example as they’re a popular choice. I’m not saying because someone has a VW they’re the dumpers.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
I think this report on the council website is what inspired the news articles. It is at https://www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/news/article/800/new-regulations-for-coastal-car-parks-from-november. I've screen grabbed the report

1.jpg
2.jpg

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I totally agree with you.
As I originally said, the minority spoil it for the majority and there is always one or two rogues who will empty their crap all over the car park or hedge and who generally don’t give a sh!t.
Most motorhomes have a waste tank and toilet cassette that can be emptied at a later date and responsibly.
(I appreciate that not all do as I too have seen images on here of motorhomers emptying their cassette in a lay by) but what I’m saying is the council in this case has targeted ‘ Motorhomes ‘ for the cause of dumping grey and black waste.
What I am asking is what about vans and converted vans with no facilities whereby people are overnighting in?
That is my question.
By placing a length limit on parking is only going to solve large vehicles not taking up space, it’s not going to address the dumping issue.
Campervans and Motorhomes seem to get a bad rep in some sections of the press and not all of it is down to them. There’s other culprits out there as well.

As for quoting VW vans as an example, I was part of that VW cult following some years ago, carrying out a nut & bolt restoration on a 1974 Baywindow and following the VW festival scene etc. So I am very familiar with that scene. I used a VW day van as an example as they’re a popular choice. I’m not saying because someone has a VW they’re the dumpers.
Yes i agree and i go one further to say that visitors in cars are the worse culprits of all ...they pee and crap in the bushes and dunes and dump their coffee cups, take away rubbish etc out the window but don't get banned by councils.

Motorhomes and campers will always get blamed because the fact remains councils etc want them in campsites and only campsites.

Aslong as the majority of people go like sheep to the campsites and obey the laws and restrictions without question nothing will ever change.

The issues caused last year especially in Scotland have been the driving force behind councils and forestry commision etc creating a few more aire style locations.

The restrictions they put in place doesn't ever solve the problem and it never will

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
IMO plain stupid to ban large vehicles and not provide alternative parking for them, Lincolnshire is not exactly a crowded county.
I've even come across French towns that have banned Motorhomes from the car parks but the difference is they have built a nice new Aire for the Motorhomes it wouldn't be hard to do over here. Also to stop the piss takes have stays limited to 48 or 72 hours no return for 7 days.

If you did that you would soon notice the Aires would be clean & tidy and the car parks would still be full of crap.

In the meantime, I'll stick with going where I'm welcome, over the channel.

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
Yes i agree and i go one further to say that visitors in cars are the worse culprits of all ...they pee and crap in the bushes and dunes and dump their coffee cups, take away rubbish etc out the window but don't get banned by councils.

Motorhomes and campers will always get blamed because the fact remains councils etc want them in campsites and only campsites.

Aslong as the majority of people go like sheep to the campsites and obey the laws and restrictions without question nothing will ever change.
I agree with the comment that many car visitors are dire in terms of their waste and rubbish disposal. In Bournemouth last summer people out for day trips crapped and wee'd behind the beach huts. Gross.
But this isn't about people 'going like sheep to the campsites and obeying the laws and restrictions without question'. I rarely am on sites, but I still don't park or overnight where there are clearly marked restrictions, precisely because doing so just reinforces the fuel for those who are anti-campers/motorhomes. I have formally objected to some restrictions. Where Dad lived, where over the last 5 years I've seen significant new restrictions imposed, the anti-MH feeling was definitely at the 'hostile' level, not the 'irritated by' level, even before the pandemic, and it's got worse since, and the self-entitled actions of those ignoring the previous restrictions have only resulted in wider and more draconian ones being implemented.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
IMO plain stupid to ban large vehicles and not provide alternative parking for them, Lincolnshire is not exactly a crowded county.
I've even come across French towns that have banned Motorhomes from the car parks but the difference is they have built a nice new Aire for the Motorhomes it wouldn't be hard to do over here. Also to stop the piss takes have stays limited to 48 or 72 hours no return for 7 days.

If you did that you would soon notice the Aires would be clean & tidy and the car parks would still be full of crap.

In the meantime, I'll stick with going where I'm welcome, over the channel.
Mange tout

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
The French lorry drivers would plan a blockade, .............sort of ......if big motor homes can't park there nobody can. Anyone fancy blocking the lanes to the beach carparks by trying to turn around in one at 5am :)

'Up the Revolution........fun over politicks :)'

1631178798495.png

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
It's the ban on vehicles over 6m parking that concerns me. I know there are vehicles adapted for people with disabilities that are longer than this and it could be seen as disability discrimination as the people who need such vehicles are unable to use public transport or taxis.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I just had an email from the council:

"Good Morning
Thank you for your email
Please can you advise which car parks you are referring to?
Lincolnshire County Council do not usually operate car parking at all as these fall under the local district council for the area or are privately owned and run.
Yours sincerely

Customer Services"

So now they say they don't usually operate car parking at all!!!!!!! I quoted back to them and will see what they say.

"From November 1st we will introduce a parking order which will prohibit parking for all vehicles in our car parks overnight, and at all times for all vehicles over 6m in length"

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
The French lorry drivers would plan a blockade, .............sort of ......if big motor homes can't park there nobody can. Anyone fancy blocking the lanes to the beach carparks by trying to turn around in one at 5am :)

'Up the Revolution........fun over politicks :)'

View attachment 534861
Joking aside thats exactly what people need to do .

But its britain theres zero solidarity and are one of the easiest controlled nations

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
That is my question.
We should adopt the New Zealand system and have 'Certificated Self-Contained' licences allowing such vehicles access to parking where they can make use of their own facilities.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I just had an email from the council:

"Good Morning
Thank you for your email
Please can you advise which car parks you are referring to?
Lincolnshire County Council do not usually operate car parking at all as these fall under the local district council for the area or are privately owned and run.
Yours sincerely

Customer Services"

So now they say they don't usually operate car parking at all!!!!!!! I quoted back to them and will see what they say.

"From November 1st we will introduce a parking order which will prohibit parking for all vehicles in our car parks overnight, and at all times for all vehicles over 6m in length"

The response to the follow up email is that the TPO change relates to the coastal car parks; Anderby Creek, Huttoft, Moggs Eye, Marsh Yard, Six Marshes and Wolla Bank and requested me to complete a survey (which I have done). It did not address the query I had about vehicles adapted for the disabled that might be longer than 6m.

Monkeynuts2215

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 6, 2020
Ashford Surrey
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxstar 600
Exp

Hope I’ve pasted this correctly. Essentially Lincs CC have decided motorhomes take up too much space, leave rubbish and grey water, and height barriers are not working!!
We were there last week for 10 days. We drove to the coast and found large private car parks for £5.00 a day and there is a car park attendant there so van safe and sound.

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
Told you before parking isnt camping .

Regardless of councils saying it is.
Trouble is that far too many people consistently act as though it is. They turn up in car parks, put out chairs, tables, canopies, barbecues, half a ton of toys (both kids and adults) surround their vans…. They do it in the day, taking space others could use, and they do it at night when it’s quite clearly ‘camping’ not ‘parking’ and they do it right in front of ‘no camping’ or similar signs. And, what a surprise, height barriers and stronger restrictions are imposed.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Been twice, but the second time made me realise that we will not go again. No where to stop anywhere we found . Even the tourist day places were blockaded with barriers . It also seemed so tacky we were not really bothered about stopping. Candy floss hell holes of cheap tat..

DT

Dec 27, 2020
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner 690G
Exp
Boats Caravans & Motorhomes for 25 years
North Wales will follow Lincolnshire. Thanks to the disgusting behaviour of a few motor home owners many will suffer. There is no one fighting the corner of the responsible caravan and Motorhome owners, the clubs are now a money making business and the manufacturers focused on building like crazy to meet demand.

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
England is just a place to drive through to access nice places 🤷🏻‍♂️ it just means that instead of spending 1 or 2 days travelling from Scotland to europe ill cut it down to one.
Or lobby your MSPs to start up subsidised ferries from Rosyth so we can go direct? Check who represents you in this link, then see if any have a special interest in transport or the EU. I've always found mine extremely helpful. https://www.theyworkforyou.com/msp/

Jan 25, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1962
Hopefully more places will allow overnight in pubs. We like the U.K. and haven’t been to France in our van yet. I love the idea of France and also love the idea of pub stop overs as you get a meal for the price of a pitch. The parking issues are all over the U.K. now not just certain places :(
No free parking at Pubs even when you buy 2 or more meals check first

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
I can’t imagine our councils doing the same.This is just one example there is about 6800 such place in Germany alone.
You've clearly not been to e.g. Fort William recently, where you can find motorhome-specific parking right in the centre of town. Not unique and (at least in Scotland) motorhomes are seen as a good thing, worth investing in more facilities to support. E.g. Highland Council investing £m to improve facilities for people doing the NC500, Borders Council making parking and facilities at sports centres available to motorhomes etc. Of course MHs can still be a nuisance, and the minority who don't know how to act need to be managed, but Visit Scotland, the local councils, and tourist businesses, see the benefit.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
You've clearly not been to e.g. Fort William recently, where you can find motorhome-specific parking right in the centre of town. Not unique and (at least in Scotland) motorhomes are seen as a good thing, worth investing in more facilities to support. E.g. Highland Council investing £m to improve facilities for people doing the NC500, Borders Council making parking and facilities at sports centres available to motorhomes etc. Of course MHs can still be a nuisance, and the minority who don't know how to act need to be managed, but Visit Scotland, the local councils, and tourist businesses, see the benefit.
Fife is getting a couple of aires soon too . Quite a few in the pipeline in Scotland ... unfortunately some of them are already overpriced

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Trouble is that far too many people consistently act as though it is. They turn up in car parks, put out chairs, tables, canopies, barbecues, half a ton of toys (both kids and adults) surround their vans…. They do it in the day, taking space others could use, and they do it at night when it’s quite clearly ‘camping’ not ‘parking’ and they do it right in front of ‘no camping’ or similar signs. And, what a surprise, height barriers and stronger restrictions are imposed.
Yes they do ...but typical backward blighty instead of dealing with the ones who do they just blanket ban everything ...and dumb people support it 🤷🏻‍♂️

Mr and Mrs O

Free Member
Dec 6, 2020
Funster No
MH
Deposit is paid
Exp
Newbies
Makes me wonder if these councillors have actually walked around the towns that they represent in the middle of winter when you can count visitors on one hand if you're lucky! Surely from a revenue point of view at worst restrict parking throughout peak season and not just a blanket ban?
Madness!!!

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
Fife is getting a couple of aires soon too . Quite a few in the pipeline in Scotland ... unfortunately some of them are already overpriced
What price? I read they were going to be £10 for 24hr. That doesn't seem too excessive.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Or lobby your MSPs to start up subsidised ferries from Rosyth so we can go direct? Check who represents you in this link, then see if any have a special interest in transport or the EU. I've always found mine extremely helpful. https://www.theyworkforyou.com/msp/

It would also be great of the planned freeport on Teesside had ferries.

There is already Lochore Meadows in Fife.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back