Lincolnshire bans overnight stops in some carparks (1 Viewer)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
So Lincolnshire has not suffered economically because of either the decision to leave Europe, or because of COVID, and the caravan and camping site and other local businesses who would benefit from motorhomer spending are doing so fabulously well, that they don't need the tourism income?

In contrast, Hawick Council welcomed some 25 Motorhomes to an Informal Meet [arranged in advance, before formal Rallies were allowed to resume], and made fresh water refills and chemical toilet emptying facilities available. The Group spend was tallied up so that the Tourism Officer could report the outcome to the Council; we managed to spend just shy of £2300 [£2287 IIRC] during the 4 days, an average of £91+ per Van ... And the Group has been invited to stage a Hogmanay Rally in the same venue [@irnbru is the fount of knowledge on this event ...] and there's a racing certainty that the earlier Rally Spend will be beaten , with not a hap'orth of bother or litter, just enjoyment, good company, good behaviourand general bonhomie ['cos, to paraphrase Max Boyce's 'The Scottish Trip', 'So we can go next year again!']

Can somebody help me down off my soapbox, please? Don't want to stumble and break an ankle ... ;)

Steve
Do a search for Huttoft. You will see that the problem goes back years :)

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
England is just a place to drive through to access nice places 🤷🏻‍♂️ it just means that instead of spending 1 or 2 days travelling from Scotland to europe ill cut it down to one.
Plenty of places to pull in England Tam, it's just everyone wants the honey spots. It was the same when I had a narrowboat, until the powers that be cracked down on things. People could head out onto the Lincolnshire Fens and be left in peace of an evening, but no, they want to be at the coast, or in the towns. We have wheels, move on of an evening.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Do a search for Huttoft. You will see that the problem goes back years

They do very little overnighting on the beach car park now as it is regularly patrolled and tickets issed. Quite a number camp on the roadside on the beach access road.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: GJH
Aug 12, 2021
Nantwitch Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Flair
Exp
25years
Many years ago we were at Nordlingen Germany a small Stellplatze for about 10 motorhomes in the evening we were having a bottle of wine when a limo pulled up along side.The local mare came to us asking why would we stop at such a town ,we said we liked it he asked would it be worth making it larger we said yes. About 3 years later we stoped for another night stay now it accomidates 50 the town is doing very nicely with the amount of motorhomes.I can’t imagine our councils doing the same.This is just one example there is about 6800 such place in Germany alone.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Parking is seen as a revenue earner by Councils everywhere in the UK - but providing spaces for large vehicles (of any sort) is just too much trouble - so ban them - simple. Provide the spaces and charge for them - too complicated? Of course!
Parking charges and parking restrictions are one of the the reasons that town and city centres are dying.
Long live the local councils and their overpaid, over pensioned, out of touch employees !

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
This year, due to many things, the volume of motorhomes being bought and used within the UK has vastly increased. The number of extra leisure vehicles on the road combined with the decreasing number of places for them to be may, one hopes, come to the attention of national bodies. I can only imagine this impasse being resolved when same financial incentive is dangled before councils.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
So yet again, the minority have spoilt it for the majority.
I appreciate that there’s always one or two rogues who will empty their crap all over the car park or hedge and who generally don’t give a sh!t. But most motorhomers have a waste tank and a toilet cassette and can empty it responsibility later.
What about the ‘day vans’? The VW vans with a window in the side who have added a bench seat or a rock n roll bed? What do they do with their waste?
I get it that Motorhomes take up space, but if s Council want the tourism, they should provide for the customer. If they’ve seen an increase in overnight stays, they should provide and charge for a dedicated parking area.
I feel that this ban may help with freeing up car park spaces, but it’s not going to solve the grey and black waste being dumped.

Aug 21, 2008
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
‘Huttoft’ One of the few parking spots on the lincolnshire coast where you can park your motorhome adjacent to the sea front with about 1/2 mile of seafront parking.years ago it was pay parking but over time it became free and neglected with sand building up and mhomes staying long term. Visiting yesterday and today what an improvement portable toilets in several locations and sand cleared on the parking and the walk into sutton on sea.The problem seems to be some inconsiderate mhomers and cars park length ways taking up excessive sea front positions leaving others struggling to park.The area and now closed adjacent golf course between chapel st leanards and sutton on sea is being supposedly being took over by the national trust.The few vans that overnight now can be easily spotted by having seeing fishing rods leaning against their vans as you can do overnight fishing😎

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
What about the ‘day vans’? The VW vans with a window in the side who have added a bench seat or a rock n roll bed? What do they do with their waste?
My VW with side windows and bed is not a 'day van' but fully self contained campervans, as are many similar small panel van conversions. Mine has pumped water (hot and cold), toilet, cooking, heating and sleeping facilities on board. It has a leisure shower. It's registered as a 'Motor Caravan'.
To answer your question I dispose of my black and grey waste responsibly, and always have done. As do the vast majority of small camper users. The small number who don't are just as disgusting as the small number of large motorhome users who also don't.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
My VW with side windows and bed is not a 'day van' but fully self contained campervans, as are many similar small panel van conversions. Mine has pumped water (hot and cold), toilet, cooking, heating and sleeping facilities on board. It has a leisure shower. It's registered as a 'Motor Caravan'.
To answer your question I dispose of my black and grey waste responsibly, and always have done. As do the vast majority of small camper users. The small number who don't are just as disgusting as the small number of large motorhome users who also don't.
Firstly, I’m not saying all VW camper van owners are culprits. I was using a VW ‘day van’ as an example.
I’m asking the question what do the VW vans with no facilities do with their waste?
Go down to Cornwall and the cult following of throwing a mattress in the back and the boards on the roof are in nearly every resort.
You’ve not answered my question because you’ve got on board facilities.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Firstly, I’m not saying all VW camper van owners are culprits. I was using a VW ‘day van’ as an example.
I’m asking the question what do the VW vans with no facilities do with their waste?
Go down to Cornwall and the cult following of throwing a mattress in the back and the boards on the roof are in nearly every resort.
I don't get it, if there are no facilities what waste is there to dispose of apart from general household rubbish?

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
I don't get it, if there are no facilities what waste is there to dispose of apart from general household rubbish?
If you had a day van - a van with a window in the sliding door and a bench seat, you’ve no other onboard facilities. So the fashion is to Chuck a mattress in the back and camp in it. So they’ll use a bucket as a toilet and dispose of it in a hedge.
They’ve no running water or tank.
Tonks has said theirs has facilities. I’m asking what do the vans do with no facilities? They dump it

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
If you had a day van - a van with a window in the sliding door and a bench seat, you’ve no other onboard facilities. So the fashion is to Chuck a mattress in the back and camp in it. So they’ll use a bucket as a toilet and dispose of it in a hedge.
Tonks has said theirs has facilities. I’m asking what do the vans do with no facilities? They dump it
You've answered your own question.

Nov 23, 2008
Funster No
Oh no. That's means Lincolnshire is off the agenda for another year. What a loss to the motorhome world. :LOL:
The sausage markets will collapse if motorhomes cant get in to pick up supplies banger's away talley ho ginger

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
But why make a blanket ban, instead of having the gumption and guts to identify and prosecute the polluters?

Steve
If you search the previous posts you will see that they have been trying for years. They have finally got sick of the abuse and the rest of us suffer.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2021
Nantwitch Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Flair
Exp
25years
If the councils made proper motorhome parking only , fresh water and dump for toilet waste a grid for grey water,Then charged a fee, properly marked areas the jobs done . Oh i forgot litter bins for recycling , it’s not difficult ,then there wouldn’t be a problem.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
If the councils made proper motorhome parking only , fresh water and dump for toilet waste a grid for grey water,Then charged a fee, properly marked areas the jobs done . Oh i forgot litter bins for recycling , it’s not difficult ,then there wouldn’t be a problem.
Redcar & Cleveland did that at Guisborough years ago. The scheme was scrapped because people didn't use it, preferring to stay where it was free on the coast. The coastal car parks (which had no restrictions or facilities for water/waste) were abused so much that restrictions were brought in.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
The point he was making is regardless of having on board facilities it doesn't mean the person isn't dumping those facilities there. There's idiots in all types of camper aswell as all types of cars.

Blaming the smaller campers isn't the answer.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
And some with a cassette toilet have dumped those in a hedge too 🤷🏻‍♂️. The few stories that have made the headlines has been cassettes being emptied not buckets

bridgedino

Free Member
Sep 13, 2020
Fife
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
The same people would just abuse that as well. Motorhomers are a minority lesuire based group. Far easier and more cost effective for a local authority to impose these bans than it is to splash out to provide service areas. Their reasoning is also dead easy to understand. Theres already hundreds of these places all over the UK where a charge is made to provide overnight stops with waste and water facilities. Camping/Caravan sites. We forget that to us, its dead important but to everyone else we are very often just considered a nuisance.

Jul 1, 2012
Nr Whitby
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
On & off since late70s
Having seen countless similar threads I suggest the only answer that would satisfy many of the posters is really very simple.

the government should provide teams of builders to follow all motorhomes. Wherever a Motorhome chooses to stop the team should instantly provide secure Motorhome only parking with full facilities for a maximum of £1 per night.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
It's about time someone pointed out to local and central government employees that they are Civil SERVANTS - and should be spending their time on our behalf not making up regulations to extort even more money from us (we already pay Council Tax, Income Tax, VAT etc, etc) !

They could make our lives so much better by providing facilities, not taking them away...... (public toilets, properly managed FREE tips etc)

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Having seen countless similar threads I suggest the only answer that would satisfy many of the posters is really very simple.

the government should provide teams of builders to follow all motorhomes. Wherever a Motorhome chooses to stop the team should instantly provide secure Motorhome only parking with full facilities for a maximum of £1 per night.
£1….?
Far too much!!! ;)

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
East Suffolk did the same around Easter but rescinded it in most carparks by the start of summer. WRITE to Lincs CC NOW!

Gordon

Yes - I was pleasantly surprised to see this when I was searching for a place to park in Lowestoft and Oulton Broad. £1.50/2hrs for the former and £1.00/2hrs for the latter.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back