Limp Mode & Yet Another EGR Required! (1 Viewer)

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
On our 2015 3.0l 180 bhp, after it had the scooter rack modified, the dreaded “engine management light” came on. It has only done 16000 miles, but before we took delivery in April 19, it failed its MOT due to the same fault. It was put down to constant stop/starting of moving around the forecourt and workshop that made the fault appear.
although it never lost power or went into limp home mode..... it did take a good long run around the hills of the Yorkshire Dales to make the light disappear. Like others have said, it needs a combination of a dam good thrashing, and maybe a bottle of Redex in the fuel now and then. I hope you get it sorted.?

OP
OP
Sunlovers
Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Begun travelling the road in our first van in 2013
On our 2015 3.0l 180 bhp, after it had the scooter rack modified, the dreaded “engine management light” came on. It has only done 16000 miles, but before we took delivery in April 19, it failed its MOT due to the same fault. It was put down to constant stop/starting of moving around the forecourt and workshop that made the fault appear.
although it never lost power or went into limp home mode..... it did take a good long run around the hills of the Yorkshire Dales to make the light disappear. Like others have said, it needs a combination of a dam good thrashing, and maybe a bottle of Redex in the fuel now and then. I hope you get it sorted.?
Thanks for your insight, yup, it's being sorted as I type, but just at the cost of yet another £700 being shelled out, which coming so soon on top of all the other bits we have had to repair/replace/rectify over the past 4 months just means we are smarting a bit about the annual cost of our much-loved MoHo.

** Warning ** Watch out for me on the roads from now on, I'll be the one caning it at 3000+RPM in 4th gear at every opportunity :Grin:

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
Also, I also fill up with “good” diesel every fourth fill up....ie Texaco, Shell etc. I know it’s all in the mind, but the old 2.3 Fiat seemed to run smoother after this ritual ??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Mine went into limp mode a couple of years ago. Main dealer had a 5 week wait so went to a local place I use for the cars. They replaced the 5th injector, atomizer and priming pump but £700 later still hadn't solved it, they brought in a local auto electrician who was equally mystified. Finally went to the main dealer (that's another story which I don't have time for now) who replaced an electric relay @£12.66. For some reason the horn wasn't working which meant another relay at the same cost. £25 parts but £345 in total. :oops:

OP
OP
Sunlovers
Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Mine went into limp mode a couple of years ago. Main dealer had a 5 week wait so went to a local place I use for the cars. They replaced the 5th injector, atomizer and priming pump but £700 later still hadn't solved it, they brought in a local auto electrician who was equally mystified. Finally went to the main dealer (that's another story which I don't have time for now) who replaced an electric relay @£12.66. For some reason the horn wasn't working which meant another relay at the same cost. £25 parts but £345 in total. :oops:
:eek: :X3:

OP
OP
Sunlovers
Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
So, continuing the saga, Marcus went into our preferred local garage to have a new EGR/Throttle Body assembly fitted. This was duly done, and a fee of just a few pennies short of £500 charged for the repair. Having paid and driven off the garage hard standing, I got no further than 2 mins down the road before the EML pinged back on again .... :rolleyes: Back to the garage, whereupon the trusty code reader was deployed yet again, only to see it reporting the self-same fault that had just been rectified (i.e. new throttle body)

No amount of rescans and resets would clear the fault (well it did, just the once, but as soon as the engine was stopped and restarted, it came up again). So, Marcus is back with the garage to see whether "another" patch lead is going to be required to rectify the fault code. I would add though, that the replacement EGR had cured the limp-mode problem, even though the EML was still lit up.

The last replacement lead cost me £150.00 for a 6" lead with two wires and a pair of moulded-plugs attached, I sincerely hope this one is not the case again!

For further reference, the 4 year old EGR was not gummed up beyond use, in fact it was only lightly carbonised and still very operable (mechanically). The failure appears to have been on the electronic side (so not my sedate non-motorway, non-Italian tune-up style driving thankfully)

Jul 26, 2023
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer
So, continuing the saga, Marcus went into our preferred local garage to have a new EGR/Throttle Body assembly fitted. This was duly done, and a fee of just a few pennies short of £500 charged for the repair. Having paid and driven off the garage hard standing, I got no further than 2 mins down the road before the EML pinged back on again .... :rolleyes: Back to the garage, whereupon the trusty code reader was deployed yet again, only to see it reporting the self-same fault that had just been rectified (i.e. new throttle body)

No amount of rescans and resets would clear the fault (well it did, just the once, but as soon as the engine was stopped and restarted, it came up again). So, Marcus is back with the garage to see whether "another" patch lead is going to be required to rectify the fault code. I would add though, that the replacement EGR had cured the limp-mode problem, even though the EML was still lit up.

The last replacement lead cost me £150.00 for a 6" lead with two wires and a pair of moulded-plugs attached, I sincerely hope this one is not the case again!

For further reference, the 4 year old EGR was not gummed up beyond use, in fact it was only lightly carbonised and still very operable (mechanically). The failure appears to have been on the electronic side (so not my sedate non-motorway, non-Italian tune-up style driving thankfully)
Just wondering if you managed to resolve this issue? In the process of buying a 2011/12 3.0 Hdi Boxer which had the throttle body replaced for MOT due to MIL being illuminated (assumed that this was diagnosed through fault code analysis). The van passed MOT and light stayed out for a few days (including test drive) before reappearing. Van is now back at the garage who are drawing a blank after hours of diagnostics etc.

OP
OP
Sunlovers
Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Just wondering if you managed to resolve this issue? In the process of buying a 2011/12 3.0 Hdi Boxer which had the throttle body replaced for MOT due to MIL being illuminated (assumed that this was diagnosed through fault code analysis). The van passed MOT and light stayed out for a few days (including test drive) before reappearing. Van is now back at the garage who are drawing a blank after hours of diagnostics etc.
Ultimately, I ended up having a completely new ECU & full wiring harness replacement. The age of our van (2007) combined with corrosion within the wiring loom itself, and the connector pins at the ECU having rotted away (FIAT design, water ingression through crappy scuttle cover) meant that whatever was done, was never going to be a reliable repair. Replacing the ECU and wiring loom cost us another £4k with VAT, and whilst that did resolve all of the issues, it wasn't without other problems being caused.

The reversing camera lost its wiring connection, so it no longer engaged when reverse gear was selected, the scuttle was never refitted properly and water still flowed down through off of the windscreen and onto the ECU. We lost confidence in the van, and chose to PX it for a brand-new vehicle.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
If the 3.ltr is like the 2.3 when the TB is replaced often to follow is the vacuum solenoid that is on the bulkhead that operates the egr valve. Pierberg item with two small rubber pipes going to it.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Was the wiring loom replaced at the same time?

I had this problem some years ago and was told corrosion gets into the loom and it's this that causes the problem, not just the throttle body itself.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
I think this reinforces the need for water control in the engine area from the outset even with x290s. The precise location seems to vary, is there a comprehensive list of problems/ diy solutions

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back