Mar 26, 2017
Radstock
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi

We are a little concerned about the limitations on campsites when we buy our rv .... Do we have to pay extra for a RV ? Are there many places that people know of that would turn a RV away ? Thank you

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
We never had to pay extra for our RV (9.3m) but we did find that some sites had a size limit - 8 metres seems common. Having said that, some sites with published limits would do their best to fit us in if asked.

OP
OP
Louxchris

Louxchris

Free Member
Mar 26, 2017
Radstock
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Are u full timers? :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Not quite. We return home tomorrow, as it happens, after seven months away, and we're off travelling again in August. While we were away, we decided the RV wasn't for us, and swapped to something much smaller.

OP
OP
Louxchris

Louxchris

Free Member
Mar 26, 2017
Radstock
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
The reason we are thinking Rv is we will be full time and have 2 children and a dog ...we don't mind the thought of smaller but being realistic bigger maybe better ....so confused with what to do ... really appreciate your input though as it does help us :)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have found some sites are quite difficult to access even with just a 7.6m euro motorhome. I don't think many would turn you away though, except perhaps some Caravan Club sites in the UK, Rowntree Park springs to mind.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I would say that there are many camp sites where you don't have a chance of getting on simply due to the pitches not being big enough or due to tight access roads so you will have to be careful which ones you choose.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
You will find some sites will charge you more because you have to go on a bigger pitch, some sites say they have pitches for RV's and yes they do but they have not thought about how you are going to get on that pitch, tree,s hedges, tight corners etc. And some sites will not even take RV's. We always used to find a site that would take us, ring ahead to confirm they had space etc, and then check out the route on google street view. Remember the peaple on reception properly don't know what a RV is and would never have driven one so think differently. Good luck.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We full-timed in a 36ft USRV for three years with two kids and a dog.. and concur with most of the comments..

There was a publication called the Big Pitch Guide that was published by an ex member Dick who also had an RV .. I believe it has since been sold and as far as I know it is not available now.. try Googling it , may be some for sale or another member may have an old copy.

As for practicality .. we soon found out that without a car exploring places off the beaten track and villages was out of the question, parking was nigh on impossible other than in large supermarket car parks and coach parks.. so we use bicycles for a while, but that is also limiting when you have kids and a dog.. in our last year we towed a small Fiat car using an A frame.. another contentious legal issue , but this made it even more difficult to fine suitable camp sites due to the shear length of the rig.. now over 50ft !

If we ever did it again I would use a smaller European motorhome or as suggest a 5th wheel trailer or a caravan.. best of both worlds.. good accommodation with a vehicle for day to day use.. There are some lovely German caravans that would be excellent for full timing, hitched to an SUV or king cab pick-up truck they make good outfits. Another member on here uses a mini artic truck and converted trailer.. @vwalan he will tell you more about it no doubt..

Don't let any of that put you off, it can be done, we did it, but you need to research and plan each trip otherwise it becomes very stressful.. nothing worse than it's getting dark and you haven't found a suitable place for the night, it happened to us, we spent many a night on a truck stop.. which is ok .. but not ideal. Speak to fellow travellers is a good way of finding out about potential places and sites to stay.. we travelled far and wide, UK, France, Germany, Spain and Morocco..

I have a Google map of sites we and others have used.. suitable for big outfits, but do check any entries before committing to using.. , it is now ten years old.. click on the pins, some have photos..

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GfCVyszPMFcoLGTyGr-Owqix3VU&usp=sharing

Last edited:
OP
OP
Louxchris

Louxchris

Free Member
Mar 26, 2017
Radstock
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi.
Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. That's really helped our decision... :)

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
The big pitch guide is on the web again.
It's on a transport site for 5th wheelers.
I'll check later and post on here.
We have a RV and always have found a site

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
It was because we were going to full time that we also decided a moderately large RV was what we wanted. But we found it too limiting on where we could go, and as Jim says, you have to plan ahead. We now have a 6.7m Canadian motor home, which is cosy and requires very little planning ahead. It's a little cramped inside, though, and I suspect that we will end up with a Euro eventually.

babydoll

Free Member
May 3, 2017
spain
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 2012
We have a Thor 9.5m RV. With the motorbike on a rack behind we are 10m. Anyone have the same length With recommendations of campsites/Aires for us in France, or italy? Much appreciated!!

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Our RV is 8.3m and another metre longer when we add the bike rack. We've only had a handful of sites that we couldn't go to either because the site won't allow or the access road to it is too small. It hasn't been a problem as we always find a suitable site within a few miles. We've travelled a lot in France on sites and Aires and throughout the uk. If you're thinking of full timing with 2 kids and a dog then the size of the vehicle depends a lot on where your travels take you. If a lot in the UK I would think an RV or 5th wheel would be the best option due to our inclement weather. Ut if Europe and sunnier climates then as you live mostly outside the interior space is beds. Have you visited the sister forum RVOC they will give you a lot of info about RVs and there are a number of full timers too. The more opinions the better.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
There are literally dozens and dozens of videos on YouTube regarding living in an RV, or finding them too large and downsizing.

Give it a try and search.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
@klaatu nice vehicle. Never heard of those before and just had a nosey on the www.
Yes, it's a bit "different" (in the UK at least) and never fails to cause interest when on a site. I was a bit of a wimp with the bigger RV, and was constantly worrying about where we could go, planning everything in advance, and test driving along suspect roads on Google, but I'll happily go anywhere in this. It has many of the benefits of a bigger RV, in a much smaller package. We've had a lot of fun in it, and have already done 3000 miles in the five months that we've had it.

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
our rv is just over 10 metres and we have always found a site.
even a site in the middle of blackpool could take us.
we travelled europe last year and always found a site or aire to stop at.
for europe we used all the aires book and just picked the larger home ones.

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
thanks @Allan & Loren , hows you house selling going, ours goes on the market next week.
Board went up Sunday. Had first viewer yesterday but couldn't get the Jag in the garage! Got another booked for Saturday so fingers crossed. Hard work keeping everything in show home condition though so hope it doesn't hang around lol. Agents all really positive about the market so fingers crossed.

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
Board went up Sunday. Had first viewer yesterday but couldn't get the Jag in the garage! Got another booked for Saturday so fingers crossed. Hard work keeping everything in show home condition though so hope it doesn't hang around lol. Agents all really positive about the market so fingers crossed.
good luck, we had a couple last time we wanted to sell, but they were in a chain. hate them people,:):)

OP
OP
Louxchris

Louxchris

Free Member
Mar 26, 2017
Radstock
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
So excited , we have had our house on market for a week and sold subject to contract (of course) yesterday! Take a few months for solicitors as no chain either end ...have a place to stay rent free so can save a bit more ....then off we go !!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back