Limbo land !! (1 Viewer)

Nov 6, 2017
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend t7051
We have ordered our new motorhome, we have sold our caravan and now find ourselves with 8 months to wait before the new MH arrives, sat in a lodge on the caravan and camping site in Boroughbridge.
Looking from our window we can see a few nice units. How can we cope for the next 7/8 months? Is caravan/motorhome envy a recognised condition?
Role on May/June next year.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We have ordered our new motorhome, we have sold our caravan and now find ourselves with 8 months to wait before the new MH arrives, sat in a lodge on the caravan and camping site in Boroughbridge.
Looking from our window we can see a few nice units. How can we cope for the next 7/8 months? Is caravan/motorhome envy a recognised condition?
Role on May/June next year.
The problem I would have, I would change my mind before I got it, if I can't have something today I don't want it:(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Been there, done that - got the t-shirt! (y)

In our case traded in old motorhome in October 2015, but didn't get the new one until July 2016.

Painful at the time, but thankfully fully recovered following 16 months with delicious new van. :D

Good luck and enjoy when your new baby finally arrives... (y)

Oh, and PS :welcome3:

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
How can we cope for the next 7/8 months? Is caravan/motorhome envy a recognised condition?

Yes, sadly it is a recognised condition. It is not to be treated lightly, as in some cases it can be fatal. There are reports that some have managed to alleviate the worst symptoms by looking at the “This week I bought” thread on this forum and spending vasts amounts of cash on goodies in anticipation of getting their new motorhome. The problem with this is that, whilst it can get you through the coming months, it may trigger severe Buyer’s Remorse which can last for years.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Just use the time you have to plan the trips you are going to make in it. :)
Plus, go through the extras you have ordered. Vehicle based extras like automatic transmission will be set in stone now but things like solar and an inverter can be added later I would think. They could on mine. :)

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
That's a long wait - probably made worse by staying on a campsite. Are you taking a break there?

You could spend some of the time planning your first trips? I'm sure it will be worth the wait! What motorhome are you buying?

OP
OP
Jim Schush
Nov 6, 2017
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend t7051
We’ve ordered a Dethleffs T7057 Dbm. We had booked this break months ago and wasn’t expecting to sell our caravan quite so quickly, fortunately the site has lodges available. I am currently researching what gas system to fit and the other half is planning where to go.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
We also had to endure months of waiting to get our first new moho. We traded in our caravan in March 2017, had to wait until 4th of October to get our new ship.
The best advice I can offer you is, the advice we were given before pick up.
Your new moho is the same length as ours at 7.4mtrs, its also has an MTPLM weight of 3500KGs, do not trust the quoted payload figures! They will be wrong!!, Get it weighed at the weigh bridge before you hand over the money!.
We were quoted a payload of 525KGs on our new Carthago, paid extra to have upgraded to 3650KGs,giving us 675KGs payload Gross, fitted Gaslow refillable Gas bottles, Full Length Awning, filled it up with 70Ltrs Fuel & 50Ltrs Water, van empty, just me sat in it at weigh bridge result 3880KGs!!!not good, so now have to get rear air suspension fitted, and get it re-plated via SV Tech Ltd to 3850KGs. Expensive mistake nearly!
Good luck & enjoy your new adventures, the time will soon pass.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
weigh bridge result 3880KGs!!!not good, so now have to get rear air suspension fitted, and get it re-plated via SV Tech Ltd to 3850KGs.

Have you got the figures right...? You’ll still be over weight..(n)

OP
OP
Jim Schush
Nov 6, 2017
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend t7051
We’ve upgraded ours to 3850 kg and we are estimating a payload of just over 800 Kgs. We have opted for various options including electric bed, 4.5 metre awning, solar panel, Satalite system and some other bits. We have done the maths a few weeks ago and we should still have a reasonable payload even taking these options into account

We have decided our first trip will be to the local weighbridge just to check, Thanks for the great advice.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I see why you are called Smith & Sharp now:LOL: you spotted my Typo, sorry yes it was 3380KGs,at the weigh bridge with full tanks & me inside not 3880Kgs. We would have been really screwed if that were the case.
Thanks for spotting it.
all the best.

JS : Yes our dealership payload cert was well out even allowing 45KGs for the 4,5Mtr Awning and 20KGs for twin Gaslow LPG Tanks. If I hadnt had been a first time buyer, I would have known to insist on a weigh bridge certificate to be available and included in the handover Docs for all to see if the stated payload was anywhere near realistic. If I were you I would now ask to have this done by the selling dealer as soon as the van arrives and has your options fitted...saves a lot of arguments down the line, and proves the vehicle is what you expect it to be.
Good Luck.

Last edited:
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I see why you are called Smith & Sharp now:LOL: you spotted my Typo, sorry yes it was 3380KGs,at the weigh bridge with full tanks & me inside not 3880Kgs. We would have been really screwed if that were the case.
Thanks for spotting it.
all the best.

JS : Yes our dealership payload cert was well out even allowing 45KGs for the 4,5Mtr Awning and 20KGs for twin Gaslow LPG Tanks. If I hadnt had been a first time buyer, I would have known to insist on a weigh bridge certificate to be available and included in the handover Docs for all to see if the stated payload was anywhere near realistic. If I were you I would now ask to have this done by the selling dealer as soon as the van arrives and has your options fitted...saves a lot of arguments down the line, and proves the vehicle is what you expect it to be.
Good Luck.

That’s better...(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back