Lillypad windbreaker solution needed (1 Viewer)

Dec 5, 2013
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
image.jpg We are looking to buy a set of Lillypad windbreakers, while we were measuring up we came across a potential problem, our MOHO is a left hand drive and the habitation door opens towards the front of the vehicle, the awning stops about 6 inches over the opened door.
So how do you get round the fact that when side panels are fitted the door can't stay completely open? Have any Funsters come across this before & if so what's the solution.
I did think that fitting a door stay catch that kept the door at a right angle to the MOHO is one solution, but hopefully someone has a better idea.
See attached photo.

Mike
image.jpg

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Unless you can manage with the door only open 90 degrees I can't think there is a solution. I have a similar problem with my PVC, i.e. The sliding door when shut comes parallel with the wind out. I was unable to use a lightweight awning so sold it. Now I just use a windbreak or freestanding gazebo when necessary.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Oppps What a shame they didn`t fit the Awning further along to save fouling the door, you should be able to slide it further along on it`s fixings.

The lillypad side panels don`t fit to the side of the M/H so you will be able to have the door fully open by pulling the awning aside then moving back into position when the door is fully open.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Mind's similar, only got about 8inch overhang but I manage using the door just over half open. What I have done is use Velcro on the ends of the side walls and on the van to hold the two together. Yes, if the wind is blowing hard and pushing the netting in under the awning it can be a bit of a problem however you can lessen the effect by moving the bottom of the side panal "out". We find them really useful, regardless of these minor problems...:happy:

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
No Windbreaker is going to be fully weather proof, but they are a great asset. We've used them for years and really rate them. The end of ours is just above the sliding door, but if you pull the bottom outwards with the peg, you have some cover, and, well live with it, the benefits outway the negatives for us.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Coachbuilt MH habitation doors nearly always open that way, regardless of whether they are LHD or RHD. Its a shame that a longer awning wasn't fitted originally, or that the one that is fitted is further back than appears to be necessary. You could try loosening the screws holding the awning into the brackets on the side of the van and sliding it forward a bit but not too much as they have, I believe, specific areas where the brackets are supposed to be placed although there is some adjustment.

Failing that do as has been suggested and open the door fully then re-peg the windblocker tight against the van afterwards, or only use the door partly open.

Lee Fryer

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Eastleigh
Funster No
MH
Coach built CI Carioca 15
Exp
Since June 2012
I would see if you could move it as the other end looks like it is over the window and locker.
Lee

OP
OP
mikekaren2
Dec 5, 2013
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thanks to all who have replied, I am now thinking that I will investigate if I can fit an additional bracket just passed the door and move the awning over, if not then the re peging will be the fallback solution. Just got to search the internet for a Omnistor bracket.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Thanks to all who have replied, I am now thinking that I will investigate if I can fit an additional bracket just passed the door and move the awning over, if not then the re peging will be the fallback solution. Just got to search the internet for a Omnistor bracket.
If it has been fitted correctly you don't need to remove the awning. Check where the front mounting bracket is and if it is further from the front end of the awning than the amount by which you need to move the awning. If it is you can remove the self-tapping screw(s) from the bottom of the bracket(s) then tilt the awning box & slide it rearwards (needs two people to ease it along). You can then mark a position for another rear bracket, slide the awning forwards, fit new bracket, slide it back into its final position & refit self-tappers.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Our weather panels are pegged in on elastic bungee cord. So you could unattach one from a peg fold the door back then reattach to the peg.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back