Lillypad leisure or Quest Popup? (1 Viewer)

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
As we are starting motorhoming all over again I wondered which would be the best for our Globecar, a set of lillypad surrounds or a Quest popup?

There are good points and bad with both and any advice would be welcome.

Thanks. Ginny

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
You don't need an awning with Quest.
But you may not be able to erect one on some campsites.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The lillypad blockers are very light and a full set goes in a carrier bag. The quest takes more room. Are lillypad still going, their place in Yorkshire seems empty.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
We have an awning, paid extra for installation. Bought the Quest pop up last year and have never used the awning since. No mucking about getting the awning in if we go out for the day thus do not have to worry about it being blown apart when the wind gets up. Nice to tuck table and chairs away at night.
We are fortunate to have a large through garage space so carriage and storage not an issue when not in use.
Probably would go without roll out awning in the future.

Buy the Quest give it a go, if it does not work out you will be able to sell it a a small loss

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Ginny I know you have had a quest, have you had Lilly pad wind blockers, we have had wind blockers for years but they haven’t been used since we bought our quest. Of course if you need to move the van no problem with the quest.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Ginny & Mike, welcome back

I think your first consideration when choosing any additional accessories should be how much they weigh. Lillypad blockers weigh a lot less than a quest pop up and are much easier to carry in a pvc.

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Ginny I know you have had a quest, have you had Lilly pad wind blockers, we have had wind blockers for years but they haven’t been used since we bought our quest. Of course if you need to move the van no problem with the quest.

We sold our Quest last year, with everything else, and I like the look of the new Lillypad surrounds BUT Mike does not like winding the awning in and out and he can’t stand the flapping at night, so it looks like another popup.

Thanks everybody, if the Quest will fit in the back of the Globecar I think that’s the way to go. (We are collecting it on the 1st March so I will measure it then!)

Ginny

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We have a quest pop up and it is doing sterling service again in Benidorm. Room for table chairs and bikes, chain plus @vanbitz bike loop runs into quest pop up. We can fit it in our IH PVC under one seat through to garage. We love it. A few places won't let you put them up apparently e.g. highlands End but despite that we'd buy another immediately if this one breaks.

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We had the awning and wind blockers on our first motorhome. We hardly used them if it was too windy then the awning had to go in. Also wind blockers do not shade from the sun. Our new motorhome has no awning and we bought a quest. Brilliant use it a lot. Saved loads of money and it's perfect :)

swanseajack13

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2013
Swansea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 years
@Teasy2007 I have a large erection you can ask any FUNSTER who have seen it and it takes no time to get it up ray xx lol still lol awnings are a thing of the past:whistle2::whistle2::whistle2:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
@Teasy2007 I have a large erection you can ask any FUNSTER who have seen it and it takes no time to get it up ray xx lol still lol awnings are a thing of the past:whistle2::whistle2::whistle2:

And yours is Green and very big. x

RitaG

Free Member
Jan 26, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Kon-Tiki 635
Exp
We have both and both have their advantages. Lillypad takes up very little space to store and does have a membrane which can be rolled down for sun protection and to close it off. Never had a problem with it in heavy weather and if it looks as though it is going to be very windy it is very quick to take down.

Love the Quest (we have the four sided version), that is also really good. The only downside is that if you have limited space and weight capacity, it's quite heavy and bulky but extremely easy to erect and break down.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Had rollout awnings on our previous 3 vans but then bought a Quest Pop up and decided we wouldn't have an awning fitted on our new van. The Quest is the best accessory we have ever bought for the van. We also have a blow up awning which we bought a couple of years ago and have never used it since we bought the Quest.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
The lillypad blockers are very light and a full set goes in a carrier bag. The quest takes more room. Are lillypad still going, their place in Yorkshire seems empty.

Their Phone is 08452 305260. ( http://windblockers.net/ ) But their Facebook page does not seen to have been updated since 2016.?

We had a "Coleman" pop up in the USA, Which set us back about 90bucks from Walmart. it was very effective against flying beasties!. Even "no-seeums". I have also seen similar in Range.

Very similar to:- https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-10-x-10-Instant-Screen-House/34136717

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2010
Hollywood, Birmingham.
Funster No
MH
A Class Laika
Exp
Since 2011
Quest every time Ginny, wind blockers are fiddly and the Fiamma is not good in high winds whereas the Quest can be collapsed in a couple of minutes. You'll need to figure out where to store it in the Globecar.
No, ours is not for sale :)

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
We have a rollout awning fitted from new, but not bought the sides to it. We bought the 4 sided Quest last year and loved it for ease of erection and being able to drive away from it. Bought the 6 sided a few weeks later to use on a family camp and realised that the extra space was really useful, so we tend to use that one now, though still have both. We have also bought the detachable sides for both of them. They fit in our full width garage. I would probably use the smaller one if we were tight on payload for a particular trip, but should probably sell it really. There was a 15% off sale last week that someone posted on the forum.

Last edited:

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Both for us. We use the lillypads by default and use the Quest for cooking and storing anything if it gets too windy or wet.

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Got a virtually new Lilly pad, used twice. Quest pop up bought, far better IMHO.
Lillpad will be go up for sale sometime, too fiddly to use.

Nov 26, 2014
Never on the wrong road ......
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2014, before that 20 years of boating & caravanning
Another vote for the 4 sided Quest pop-up. We got our at Lincoln MoHo show in September. We'd seen quite a few of them at the sunshine festival (and were quite envious!), some funsters put theirs up under their awning as it was quite warm - very useful piece of kit, we used it a bit this winter in Portugal - excellent for cooking in and storing chairs etc, although the aire at Falesia didn't allow them. :)

Alb & Elaine

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
We are not having an awning fitted to our new van as we hardly used the last one we have bought a blow up shelter does a better job in any weather.

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
We have a rollout awning fitted from new, but not bought the sides to it. We bought the 4 sided Quest last year and loved it for ease of erection and being able to drive away from it. Bought the 6 sided a few weeks later to use on a family camp and realised that the extra space was really useful, so we tend to use that one now, though still have both. We have also bought the detachable sides for both of them. They fit in our full width garage. I would probably use the smaller one if we were tight on payload for a particular trip, but should probably sell it really. There was a 15% off sale last week that someone posted on the forum.

Can you remember where the sale was?

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Does that explain the earthquake that a number of ladies in Wales experienced a few days ago?

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Last edited:

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
My initial comment was where do you stow a Quest in a panel van and another consideration is the weight. Moreover, can you manage one on your own Ginny?

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Hi Ginny, lovely to see your post. I have both the screen house and the wind-blockers. I used them several times last year and wouldn't be without them.

The screen house I used in this photo to house either my tables and chairs and Bikes or Trike if we were off out for the day. It is both heavy and tricky to store.

IMG_4191_800x600.JPG

IMG_5354_800x600.JPG

My windblockers are light and live in an old cool-bag and are errected in about the same time it takes to raise the pop up tent. In this picture I raised it to sheild us from the evening onshore breeze and to take the sting out of the afternoon sun-shine.

Our neighbors who joined us each night for dinner behind the awning couldn't get over how much warmer it was inside out of the breeze and enabled us to sit outside well into the small hours playing silly games and drinking lots of the local white and red bottled water.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back