Like a wee boy at Fenwick's window at Christmas! A Newbie at the NEC. (1 Viewer)

Nevis

Free Member
Sep 24, 2017
Scottish Borders
Funster No
Well, I am just back after travelling down to the NEC from the Scottish Borders to spend a couple of exhausting days immersed in 21st century MoHo technology - like a kid in a toyshop in search of our first A-Class. This has helped narrow my choice down a little and I have reached the conclusions unless you are minted you can't have everything and a compromise needs to be reached.

We have decided to buy new as we don't have the experience to buy second hand; don't have too much choice where we live to buy local; and would like to have the security of a warranty. (It's also a retirement present to ourselves)

Seeing the vehicles in the flesh was invaluable. Some big brands fell short of my expectations, some exceeded them. As you would expect, most had tempting base-line prices which were not realistic considering the essential items that needed to be added.

I was really impressed with Laika, a brand I had not previously considered.The Laika A-Class vehicles I looked at seemed to punch well above their weight. However, I don't think there is a dealer in Scotland. I was also keen to see if the Mobilvetta K-Yacht lived up to the hype I was hearing. I have to say it did - the fit and finish was as good as anything else, and the level of inclusive kit impressive- e.g. element-heated windscreen, hill-hold assist, hill decent assist, solar etc. The downside was the payload and I think to be a contender a chassis upgrade would be necessary (but this £1400 option was being offered f.o.c. at least at the show!) More importantly it came within our budget.

Now we are considering the pros and cons of a rear lounge with smaller garage or fixed beds and larger garage space.

As I said, all compromises however, we are pretty good at adapting to what we have, and what we can afford!

This forum has been, and is, a great help.

tick59

Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
Why buy a new van at a show from some dealer that is miles from where you live????? Buy locally so when it comes to getting thing fixed under warranty you just have to go to a local dealer and not one miles away who does not give a S£$T once he has your money.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Nevis

Nevis

Free Member
Sep 24, 2017
Scottish Borders
Funster No
Why buy a new van at a show from some dealer that is miles from where you live????? Buy locally so when it comes to getting thing fixed under warranty you just have to go to a local dealer and not one miles away who does not give a S£$T once he has your money.
Hi tick59, we haven't committed to buy anything as yet.The problem we have in the Scottish Borders is there is no-one really local! It's either south to the Newcastle area or North to dealers around Perth. Each equidistant!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
We bought new in 2014 and lost quite a lot of money when we traded in this year. Something to do with VAT:eek:
We bought the same model but automatic and it had one owner. It's hardly been used so we probably have done better by not buying new.

Upvote 0

RichardandKaren

Free Member
Oct 4, 2017
Leamington Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido 786F
Hi - I went to the show yesterday and, yes the vans there are fantastically impressive ( and expensive!) but one big thing that I noticed was how many of them ( in fact the majority I would say) didn't have any real food preparation area at all. Hobs and sinks but nowhere to actually prepare any food! Also, most vans ( even at £70K + ) didn't have extractor hoods over the hobs either. The sales people on the stands admitted this was a problem with many of their products but said that most people who buy new vans either aren't bothered or just don't intend to cook much in the vans. Seems a bit strange to me. My old Rapido ( our first MH and we just love it) has loads of preparation area and an extractor as standard. It also came from a dealer whose service was fantastic and who gave me a 6 months warranty and free service with cambelt change etc.

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.