Lightweight Sewing Machines -Any Good? (2 Viewers)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
@Puddleduck i only use schmetz needles but have to buy them online as they’re not easy to obtain in the wilds of south west wales !

Schmetz or Superior, both are good brands. I've used the titanium needles and they do stay sharp longer but I am not convinced they are worth the extra money. I like topstitch needles for both piecing and quilting.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
just spent three hrs servicing this thing getting all the fluff out the works it was minging worked out how to thread it working very smooth but it keeps braking the thread
bill

OP
OP
BOD46
Dec 9, 2018
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Searching for a Tardis
Exp
Several years living in a very basic campervan in the 70's
I’m thinking about how /whether I’m going to take my second best machine (Janome TXL607) with me on our extended travels next year. I’d really like to as I enjoy sewing but the weight, plus all the bits and pieces such as scissors, rulers etc may be prohibitive.

Plus how much of your fabric stash would you want to take with you? Think I have about 6 of those underbed storage boxes of fabric waiting to be used:xblush:
So I may have to make do with taking knitting, crochet and cross stitch projects instead which are considerably lighter.
I also knit, crochet (badly), occasionally do macrame and make rugs from old quilt covers. Mabe I should be looking for a double decker busxroll:

I do think you’ll be better off with a full sized machine if you’ve got the room / payload for it.

Yes I agree, will have to find space & weight for a full size one.

OP
OP
BOD46
Dec 9, 2018
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Searching for a Tardis
Exp
Several years living in a very basic campervan in the 70's
Would that explain your forum name? :xgrin:
I did wonder if anyone would notice, I read through the joining form 3 times before hitting enter and it did not compute. I only saw it after I had made several posts. Probably should have ditched the 4, remaining number would then be closer to current mental age:xblink:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Bill you probably need a better quality thread as cheap thread does tend to break easily. If it's not the thread then it will be the tension that needs altering.

Denise

Or you might have the wrong size or type of needle.

Are you using the same thread top and bottom? Easier if you do.

Old thread will also dry out and snap.

Is the bobbin in correctly?

When I have problems this is what I do:

Clean and oil

Change the needle

Change the bobbin for a newly wound one.

Unthread and rethread top and bottom

This generally sort s out any issues.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Yeah, I had trouble typing it :oops: I do have a habit of getting letters and numbers confused.
On this forum you do not have to answer to any one on spelling or grammar
It is written in stone rule 1 best rule on the inter net any one that cant make out what your trying to say on her obviously has a problem so don't worry abut it
bill

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Depending how much time sewing may decide if you need a hook up or an inverter which would then affect your weight with extra batteries and solar panels so not just weight of machine

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back