Lightweight Calor propane bottles withdrawn (1 Viewer)

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
I've been told that the lightweight red 6kg propane gas bottles are being withdrawn.

That is APIA as far as I'm concerned, I'm thinking of going for under-slung tank to replace them.

I don't want to go back to the heavy old ones and Gaslow won't fit in my locker without severely restricting how much gas I can carry.

So Autogas2000 seems to be the supplier of choice.

Billggski

Free Member
Aug 6, 2013
Stone
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
As far as I know it is still available, the confusion is that it is no longer available on line, and the recall of cylinders to be checked has now ended,

OP
OP
Augusta08

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
I went into a distributor and they told me they only had a few left, they are being withdrawn due to corrosion problems.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Not good news as that's the ones I use as well, is refillable the way forward if we spend most holidays in this country?

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
The official line from Calor is that the lite bottles "...failed to prove as durable as the older ones". Shame we used them as they were lighter,

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
We used them, too but I'm going to get my 70 per cent refund on the empty cylinders and move over to Budget Gas, a local supplier which is much cheaper.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I believe there is going to be a replacement for Motorhomes/Caravans specific.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
There was a post about this a few weeks ago. (Can't do a link).
Calor are bringing out a new light product for caravanners/motorhomers etc, but no idea what yet.

I bought a 6kg Calor lite cylinder at Go Outdoors a few weeks ago when the news broke. They only had a few left.

This is a real nause. Might just carry ONE 'heavy' cylinder when operating in the UK because of weight issues. At least in UK, compatible cylinders are available at sites etc. However, having to carry two heavies when abroad is a nuisance.

I might consider going down the route of refillables but I'm totally confused about it all. Different systems, different adaptors for different countries, folk on here almost blowing themselves up, UK LPG stations closing, have to have a hole cut in the skirt because some places won't refill cylinders, fill to 80% only ........... Scares the hell out of me! Am I worrying unduly?

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
totally

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Calor are bringing out a new light product for caravanners/motorhomers etc, but no idea what yet.

I bought a 6kg Calor lite cylinder at Go Outdoors a few weeks ago when the news broke. They only had a few left.

This is a real nause. Might just carry ONE 'heavy' cylinder when operating in the UK because of weight issues. At least in UK, compatible cylinders are available at sites etc. However, having to carry two heavies when abroad is a nuisance.

I might consider going down the route of refillables but I'm totally confused about it all. Different systems, different adaptors for different countries, folk on here almost blowing themselves up, UK LPG stations closing, have to have a hole cut in the skirt because some places won't refill cylinders, fill to 80% only ........... Scares the hell out of me! Am I worrying unduly?
Yes, you are worrying unduly. I've had refillables on every van and they have proved to be very easy to fit (though anyone not confident can get an LPG engineer to do it for a reasonable fee) and VERY economical in use. It is so easy to fill up at the local (usually Shell) station whenever the level gets a bit low. About half the price of calor to refill, depending on cylinder size etc... I've just moved up to some Alugas cylinders thanks to @Theonlysue

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks @DuxDeluxe
That's reassuring. I might look into this. I understand that it takes a while to overcome the expense, but this cylinder malarkey is just agg!
Anyway; I won't hijack this thread. Will do some research.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
When I saw the other post a few weeks back I quickly decided I did not want to go back to using the heavy Calor cylinders and decided to go down the refillable route. Chose a 1 x 14kg Alugas system because in weight terms it is very similar to 2 x Calor Lite but holds a bit more gas. At present weight is not a big issue but I may need to downplate to 3500kg when I get to 70. I will retain one of my current Calor Lite as a reserve in the short term, in case I misjudge topping up the refillable.

I am not normally a conspiracy theorist but it does seem a little too convenient for Calor to withdraw the Lites the year before the replacement lightweight bottles will be launched. By then we will all have been forced to swap our Lites for standard heavies and no doubt we will only get the new lightweight ones if we pay for a new hire agreement. The decent thing for Calor to do would be to admit they have problems with the Lites, promise all existing users an upgrade to their new lightweight bottles next year and meanwhile keep us going with the heavies. Perhaps at some stage in the future they will be forced to do an official recall of all Lites but meanwhile are hoping to get away with this half a**** arrangement/cover up.

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Well I have 1x13kg and 1x6kg lite and plan to keep both. In past 12 months refilled 6kg lite and still have 50% of 13kg left. So hoping by this time next year new lite will be out. However 13kg will have run out by then so will swop for new one and keep using 13kg as main bottle keeping 6kg lite for backup. Prob can go years like this if need be

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp

No your spot on imo, for the money saved in terms of filling up not worth the risk no matter how small, for some who spend most of there time in Europe full timing I can understand
Snowbird had a nasty incident last year and todate I think he's still unsure exactly how it happened, and he's a very experienced Motorhomer who's been using refillable for years

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
We have an 11kg CEPSA for use in Spain. Very cheap and easy to exchange, and one bottle lasts for weeks. I know everyone who has them loves their refillables, but a combination of CEPSA and 6kg British cylinder suits us fine. :)

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
We used them, too but I'm going to get my 70 per cent refund on the empty cylinders and move over to Budget Gas, a local supplier which is much cheaper.
Can you get refills out of your area eassily, it is not a name I have heard of in this respect?

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Sorry. I don't know. They're based in Telford.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
It's a shame you can't get get Le Cubes refilled or replaced over here.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Refillables are the way to go and as for accidents there are not very many reported on here there is a lot of rumours and scaremongering around, if you are carefull it's no worse than filling up a fuel tank.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Refillables are the way to go and as for accidents there are not very many reported on here there is a lot of rumours and scaremongering around, if you are carefull it's no worse than filling up a fuel tank.
So why doesn't someone offer the service? If you have a cylinder and are in a country not covered by their refill contract, why would it be illegal?

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I
So why doesn't someone offer the service? If you have a cylinder and are in a country not covered by their refill contract, why would it be illegal?
was talking about Gasit,Gaslow and Alugas where they are a fixture and you do not need to take them out just refill at the pumps had no problems with ours in Spain France Portugal Holland Germany Denmark and Sweden

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
I got a Calorlite 6K today, local dealer has about 10 in stock, but when they are gone that's it !

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
We have 3 calor lites-2in van 1 in garage- 2 are full all are refurbished or whatever they did in the recall- are they still safe to use ? Have not used van much (sniff) in last year due to various issues and no Glastonbury this year due to no tickets ( silent weeping)The cylinders we have will last us the next 12 months or longer - trips to hot places with hook up for fridge planned ... but worried about safety of the gas we have if the cylinders corrode

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
They haven't recalled them, just phasing them out, so I think we can assume they are still safe. I intend to use up the gas in the ones I have. I have fitted Alugas for the future but don't intend to waste the gas I have already paid for.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back