Lights (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
I am sure that this has been discussed before , BUT, should we, or do we need to put tape to prevent our light beam covering the centre of the road when abroad,,especially at this time of the year ??, if so , how do I know where to 'stick it' !!

Thanks and regards

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
You can buy the deflectors for a few pounds on the ferry or stick your tape on, but if you don't intend to drive in the dark i wouldn't worry , lol

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Hotelman,
Yes, the subject has been aired many times, but nothing wrong with asking.

I've found that replies fall into two camps; those that DO fit deflectors and those who don't bother. Personal choice I guess, but UK motoring organisations give this advice:- By LAW, at any time day or night when driving in Europe you must convert your headlamps to avoid dazzling other road users. This is a compulsory requirement in most European Countries.....

I won't re-hash other posts now, but there is advice as to the various ways of deflecting beams on our forum.

Me? I'm in the DO-IT camp! I would far sooner comply, than look over my shoulder for the Gendarmerie.

As an example, in the summer, I went down through Belgium and Luxembourg to Switzerland and Italy. I encountered everything from fog to driving rain in the daytime! I was sooo glad that I didn't have to worry about non-compliance and a fine in addition to the weather conditions.

For convenience, I have deflectors fitted to headlamp protectors that just clip on/off, but it's a pricey way. Halfords and eBay do universal kits for about a fiver or less.

Hope that helps?
James

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I fitted a set of those black sticky things that are supposed to prevent the "kick-up" of the beam on the left, i.e., seaside and prevent dazzle. Frankly it didn't seem to make a jot of difference and I've left them on for a couple of years now; doesn't seem to worry the mot testers.

In all the years I took coaches abroad we never once fitted beam reflectors. Make of that what you will.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
From the mot testers manual.

It should also apply to rhd vehicles.

Masks or converter kits may be fitted to right hand dip headlamps to temporarily alter the lamp for use in the UK by removing the beam ‘kick-up’ to the right
A headlamp altered in this way is not a reason for rejection, if:
a.
the headlamp aim is not rejected for the reasons listed under diagram 1 (except that the top of the beam image will be a straight line)

b.
the light output is not unduly reduced - not usually a problem with commercially produced kits

c.
the mask or converter is securely attached.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Ours had them fitted when we bought it and was mentioned in two MOT's but was not a fail or advisories.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back