Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
well my first thoughts were what a nice red rock oh look theres a light house.

nice pic though.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I like it. The contrast in colours between the rock and the lighthouse are very distinct and pleasing to the eye.
Its a shame that there's a barbed wire fence in the background
Jim
:Smile:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
For me, the main interest is the late sun bathing the rock face. I think the lighthouse does not add much to it because there are two strong visual elements vying for my attention. I might have been tempted to go in closer and concentrate on the dramatically lit textures in the strata. Perhaps a natural abstract image?

There might be a second picture from a more distant viewpoint, showing the lighthouse shining out within its environment. That way, the rock would not be the dominant element and the lighthouse would become the main focus.

A third picture might be to go in closer towards the base of the lighthouse and showcase the somewhat crude hand of man (barbed wire fence) juxtaposed with the elegant construction that is the lighthouse, within a beautiful landscape. You would need to move to the right to achieve this.

Having said all that, it's your picture and represents the important things that you wanted to record. It's always easier to come up with other ideas when: you are sitting comfortably; you don't have to contend with the fact that there might have been some real eye-sore off-camera, preventing any other composition.

:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Poor composition.

The rock has little merit as a picture and the lighthouse is falling off the edge.

Rule of Thirds !

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Rule of thirds is ok, top of rock is the top third, lighthouse land is bottom third.

I think if this photo in it's element was to work a little better then cropping the right a little would draw the attention to the light house. For me, due to the lighthouse needing more of a portrait, it gets lost a little in the wide landscape. For this to work as it is, then the frame is too full, backing off the zoom (or moving backwards) would resolve it.

Saying that, I do acutally like it and if you like it, who cares! Photography is very subjective and that's what I like about it. :thumb:

I hope you don't mind me doing this, but I had a quick edit of the photo to what I would of done. It's the crop I mentioned, but I also pumped the contrast a little to bring out the shadows.

lighthouse.jpg

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I can't see anything to grab attention in the rocks but here is a classic composure on the lighthouse.

Attachments

• bryan3.jpg
    bryan3.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 40
  • bryan2.jpg
    bryan2.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 42

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
I like it. The contrast in colours between the rock and the lighthouse are very distinct and pleasing to the eye.
Its a shame that there's a barbed wire fence in the background
Jim
:Smile:

There we go.
I like the picture which ever way you do it.

Attachments

• Bryans Lighthouse.jpg
    Bryans Lighthouse.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 26
  • Bryans Lighthouse2.jpg
    Bryans Lighthouse2.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
I like it.Not sure I agree with RULES in photography.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I like it.Not sure I agree with RULES in photography.

I'm of that opinion..

rules are made to be broken.. shooting by rules ends up with a decent picture .. but not necessarily a great one.. and in the digital era we can shoot till our hearts content .. doesn't cost a penny to break and bend the rules and often with surprising results.

As for Bryn's picture.. I like it..

I may have shot it differently or taken several shots from different angles and distances then decided which one was the best .. it would make a good desktop wallpaper..

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Referring to Brian's comments about 'nothing in the rock' I was suggesting an abstract approach. A couple of examples are attached, but obviously, if one was doing this properly, the result would be better as these are based on a very small crop from the original picture.

As hdvrod says, forget the rules, it's your picture. I don't think Picasso or Dali got very far by following rules.

Attachments

• Rock 1.jpg
    Rock 1.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Rock 2.jpg
    Rock 2.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 23

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
I've had a couple of quick tweaks, which is how I would make this sort of image 'pop' out of the screen. For me, the light has to stand out from the rather nondescript sky, and I've done in the first one by progressively burning the corners, then burning the top 1/4 a bit more. The second one has a rather more dramatic split filter applied.

Both have had the true vertical established and have had the fence and vehicles removed.

Just my interpretation at the end of the day. Thanks for giving us the opportunity of messing about with YOUR picture.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
I'm of that opinion..

rules are made to be broken.. shooting by rules ends up with a decent picture .. but not necessarily a great one.. and in the digital era we can shoot till our hearts content .. doesn't cost a penny to break and bend the rules and often with surprising results.

I may have shot it differently or taken several shots from different angles and distances then decided which one was the best .. it would make a good desktop wallpaper..

Like that idea Jim :thumb:

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Well now, much as I like the photograph, where are the people?

I mean I normally forget to include people's heads or legs or I have telegraph poles coming out of funny places - but to miss out the family completely - that's a first :Blush:

Dick

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I've had a couple of quick tweaks, which is how I would make this sort of image 'pop' out of the screen. For me, the light has to stand out from the rather nondescript sky, and I've done in the first one by progressively burning the corners, then burning the top 1/4 a bit more. The second one has a rather more dramatic split filter applied.

Both have had the true vertical established and have had the fence and vehicles removed.

Just my interpretation at the end of the day. Thanks for giving us the opportunity of messing about with YOUR picture.

Subtle, very subtle.

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Not so sure I'd remove the fence, as it takes too much away from the photo making the lighthouse look odd. If the framing was done to remove it, fair enough. I'm a keen, what the camera see's should remain person.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I think it is a very good dramatic photo...

It`s just a shame Bryan was so much of a gentleman, that he photo shopped it ie cut bits out...

But he was good enough to send me the bits he removed so I could insert them where appropriate...

Thanks Bryan.. :thumb:

Bootifull..... :man_in_love:

Attachments

• 2430150-lg.jpg
    2430150-lg.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
X

Xoxoc

Deleted User
I'm of that opinion..

I may have shot it differently or taken several shots from different angles and distances then decided which one was the best ..[HI] it would make a good desktop wallpaper..[/HI]

Exactly what I thought....and it's been my wallpaper for a few weeks now. :Cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back