LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
Not sure if this has been covered before but I love the effect it produces... Gonna have a go with the new 'home as soon as the weather allows...

IMG_2663.JPG

Cheers
Red

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Can you explain the effect it produces and how it's done (in simple terms) for those of us not familiar, but interested in an amateurish sort of way

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Dark night/room, long exposure, walk around shining a torch on the bits you want shown?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
I thought you meant you were going to paint all the edges of your motorhome bright yellow! :eek:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Can you explain the effect it produces and how it's done (in simple terms) for those of us not familiar, but interested in an amateurish sort of way

In the OP example you can see the caravan appears much more well lit than the background. That's what it is - having different areas of the image seemingly lit differently

You can achieve this when you take the shot with lighting and judicious use of flash or you can just take the picture and do it in Photoshop afterwards.

I won't launch into a long detailed Photoshop explanation because it would be gibberish to most people but of the several possible ways to do it a relatively simple/amateur method would be the use of masks on the object you want to "light"

Like with almost everything in Photoshop there are multiple ways to do it and everyone who knows how to will do it slightly differently.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Dark night/room, long exposure, walk around shining a torch on the bits you want shown?

I'd do it with a fast exposure and multiple off camera flash if I had the time to faff around setting it up because that's great fun to play with.

If I didn't have time it's Photoshop all the way.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
RedFrame

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
In the OP example you can see the caravan appears much more well lit than the background. That's what it is - having different areas of the image seemingly lit differently

You can achieve this when you take the shot with lighting and judicious use of flash or you can just take the picture and do it in Photoshop afterwards.

I won't launch into a long detailed Photoshop explanation because it would be gibberish to most people but of the several possible ways to do it a relatively simple/amateur method would be the use of masks on the object you want to "light"

Like with almost everything in Photoshop there are multiple ways to do it and everyone who knows how to will do it slightly differently.

I'd do it with a fast exposure and multiple off camera flash if I had the time to faff around setting it up because that's great fun to play with.

If I didn't have time it's Photoshop all the way.

NO, "Light Painting" definitely does NOT include use of a computer (Photoshop) ...

You can certainly achieve similar results by sitting indoors looking at a screen...

Get out, grab a big torch, set your Camera to "M" and have a play...!

Cheers
Red...

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
NO, "Light Painting" definitely does NOT include use of a computer (Photoshop) ...

You can certainly achieve similar results by sitting indoors looking at a screen...

Get out, grab a big torch, set your Camera to "M" and have a play...!

Cheers
Red...

My cameras are never set to anything other than M but that sort of effect isn't something that particularly interests me.

Anyone who uses Photoshop professionally won't achieve a similar result. They would achieve exactly that result or better in less time than it took you to faff around with a torch (y)

If I ever need to achieve the effect I'll stick with Photoshop thanks unless a client is going to pay me to do it any other way which I can guarantee you they won't. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back