LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2020
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2019.
Emptying the toilet cassette inside the house never seems to go without some sort of incident so I've decided to empty it in the future down the foul drain manhole in the garden. But, how to lift the cover with a dodgy back? Mustang have various products on their website (https://www.mustangtools.co.uk). Which tools do other funsters use?

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Emptying the toilet cassette inside the house never seems to go without some sort of incident so I've decided to empty it in the future down the foul drain manhole in the garden. But, how to lift the cover with a dodgy back? Mustang have various products on their website (https://www.mustangtools.co.uk). Which tools do other funsters use?
I carry various manhole keys to lift covers in emergency when out and about.
However, for home use I have adapted a stack pipe ......
1642059179424.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
L

Lizbiebrowne

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2020
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2019.
That’s not an option for me I’m afraid. Both my foul waste pipes run inside the house and exit underground. The manhole is the first opportunity to access the foul drain after the toilet inside.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
If your drain cover in your garden does not have to be load bearing i.e. driven over, then change the cover for a lightweight version, which is what I did for the one just outside our kitchen.

Jun 12, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp
I. Have a lightweight metal cover so I drilled two holes in it and threaded a piece of rope through and knotted bothe ends, works very well

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
When we stayed at two on Tour’s (thank you very much) he bought manhole keys and I used them with a webbing strap looped through handles so I could lift cover standing up.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We use a crowbar just to lift it to one side, doesn’t have to be fully off. However, I have got emptying it in the downstairs loo off to a fine art 🤣

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Any outside kitchen drain where you live ? that’s what we use but it does have a water tap above it.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Yours may be different, but most kitchen wastes are not connected to the foul sewers.
Er they should be. Any grey water is waste and thus foul.

If the property has separate foul and surface water drainage, as opposed to a combined system, then only rainwater should be in the surface water system since that could be discharged without treatment direct to the ground (soakaways) or to various watercourses (streams, drainage ditches, rivers).

Anyone lifting manhole covers to dispose of toilet cassette waste needs to be sure they have a foul and not surface water drain.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Er they should be. Any grey water is waste and thus foul.

If the property has separate foul and surface water drainage, as opposed to a combined system, then only rainwater should be in the surface water system since that could be discharged without treatment direct to the ground (soakaways) or to various watercourses (streams, drainage ditches, rivers).

Anyone lifting manhole covers to dispose of toilet cassette waste needs to be sure they have a foul and not surface water drain.

Never seen a house where they are not.
Yes, you are both correct(y) .. just a senior moment on my part.:doh:

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Yours may be different, but most kitchen wastes are not connected to the foul sewers.
Ours is but it’s not a house built within the last 70 years.

and sink waste and foul waste go into the manhole.
the rainwater is soak away only here.

and if rain water goes into the same system then it reflects in the water rate charges.

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
We've got a plastic cover to one side of the outside kitchen basin / washing machine drain. Its only about a foot in diameter and I use this, used to have 3 screws into it but Ive never replaced them. Confirmed that its definitely a sewer drain by getting the wife to flush some loo roll as I observed, just to be 100%

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Unfortunately we are sure it is sewer as we have seen waste from our neighbour that no-one wants to see go by :eek:

OP
OP
L

Lizbiebrowne

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2020
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2019.
If your drain cover in your garden does not have to be load bearing i.e. driven over, then change the cover for a lightweight version, which is what I did for the one just outside our kitchen.

I like the idea of a lightweight cover. My foul drain manhole cover has a circular lid that's a fraction over 24" in diameter so I'll have to have a google around and see what I can find. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
I like the idea of a lightweight cover. My foul drain manhole cover has a circular lid that's a fraction over 24" in diameter so I'll have to have a google around and see what I can find. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
I’m assuming your’s is made of cast iron , you can also get plastic ones ( very light )
usually a direct replacement

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back