Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
So the bus bars that came with my lifepo4 280ah batteries are the solid rigid plate type
Im worried that with battery expansion when charging that overdue pressure will be put on the battery bolts.
Would it make any difference to charging / resistance etc if I made my own bus bars (all the same length) out of 25mm2 cable with lugs on each end.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
What's the thickness of these busbars? They are 20mm wide, so if 2mm thick the cross-sectional area is 40mm2. The idea of a busbar is that they are so thick that there is negligible voltage drop along any part of it. If you use standard cable the (small) voltage drop is enough to make the voltages across them unequal, unless you take extra steps to equalise them.

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Motorhoming since 2006, 30 years tent camping in Africa
Use threadbars to prevent/restrict too much expansion. Do your top balancing with the cells under compression. Then when they are fully top balanced add the busbars.
We place our cells into light compression when they are about 30% SOC. when I say light, we tighten the Allen key using the short arm so it’s pretty light. No spanner’s! When the cells discharge completely they can move a bit in the enclosure. When they are fully charged they don’t move at all.
Experiments that EVE have performed show that with correct compression cells give up to 1000 more cycles. Too much compression is worse than no compression.
Without compression two things go wrong:
1. Internal delamination of the electrodes reducing the lifespan of the cell
2. Structural issues resulting from the rigid busbar. This can be overcome by using flexible busbars. Easy to make your own.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
…but having said all of the above, if your cells are bad quality they could swell too much and not last long no matter what you do. Even if you compress using springs on threadbars and flexible busbars.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
You could make them out of roofing copper band, or soakers. The soakers are 0,7mm times 4 at 25mm wide, gives you 70mm2 bar. Put a half round bend in the middle , any two holes in the ends, and you got your links, without introducing two crimps resistance.
I agree that light compression is beneficial, but if you treat them under 0,2C charge/discharge, the compression will not add or take away nothing. Good bms is more important.

This here, gives you 6strips at 25mm by 300 long

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Use threadbars to prevent/restrict too much expansion. Do your top balancing with the cells under compression. Then when they are fully top balanced add the busbars.
We place our cells into light compression when they are about 30% SOC. when I say light, we tighten the Allen key using the short arm so it’s pretty light. No spanner’s! When the cells discharge completely they can move a bit in the enclosure. When they are fully charged they don’t move at all.
Experiments that EVE have performed show that with correct compression cells give up to 1000 more cycles. Too much compression is worse than no compression.
2. Structural issues resulting from the rigid busbar. This can be overcome by using flexible busbars. Easy to make your own.
Ty for the super informative info, what voltage would you say is 30% soc

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Ty for the super informative info, what voltage would you say is 30% s
…but having said all of the above, if your cells are bad quality they could swell too much and not last long no matter what you do. Even if you compress using springs on threadbars and flexible busbars.
ATM cells came in perfect shape, no bulging at all

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Below is one of the many voltage curves you will find for LifePO4 batteries (in this case a single cell). It shows the two knees (upper and lower) with the flat part in between. The many curves vary slightly here and there, but the basic idea is that the curve is so flat it’s impossible to use voltage to determine SOC. Many people have tried unsuccessfully to formulate SOC from voltage. This is the reason why the only effective way of determining true SOC is by coulomb counting. Smart shunts etc.

In our case the batches of cells we purchase are really good quality and of very similar SOC when they arrive. When we measure what goes in (when we do a fast top-balance) we know they’re about 30% SOC. In order to comply with shipping laws they can’t be above a certain percentage. I don’t recall exactly what the limit is for land/sea but for air is 30% (So most reputable manufacturers ship them out at 30%).

Some of the cheaper cells we have tested, like the 420ah to-good-to-be-true had huge differences between cells - either they left the manufacturing plant that way and/or self discharge was very high for some cells in transit.

So to answer your question, somewhere around 3.2v

08427519-B647-4541-B42A-4B307544D287.jpeg

Attachments

• ACB1C912-7882-4350-BE97-FB5BB092FA61.jpeg
    ACB1C912-7882-4350-BE97-FB5BB092FA61.jpeg
    60.8 KB · Views: 6
OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Just subscribed to your YouTube channel. Linked it for anyone else who's interested - looks good.
Ahh never knew that was Roger from Offgrid Van Life, I've watched like 20 off his and Nigels videos, really really helpful, gonna copy their clamping method of the cells using 18mm plywood and stud bars :)

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Below is one of the many voltage curves you will find for LifePO4 batteries (in this case a single cell). It shows the two knees (upper and lower) with the flat part in between. The many curves vary slightly here and there, but the basic idea is that the curve is so flat it’s impossible to use voltage to determine SOC. Many people have tried unsuccessfully to formulate SOC from voltage. This is the reason why the only effective way of determining true SOC is by coulomb counting. Smart shunts etc.

In our case the batches of cells we purchase are really good quality and of very similar SOC when they arrive. When we measure what goes in (when we do a fast top-balance) we know they’re about 30% SOC. In order to comply with shipping laws they can’t be above a certain percentage. I don’t recall exactly what the limit is for land/sea but for air is 30% (So most reputable manufacturers ship them out at 30%).

Some of the cheaper cells we have tested, like the 420ah to-good-to-be-true had huge differences between cells - either they left the manufacturing plant that way and/or self discharge was very high for some cells in transit.

So to answer your question, somewhere around 3.2v

View attachment 548903
All my cells arrived at 3.29v and no visible signs of bloating, do you's usually "clamp" them together when they are at the voltage with which you receive them at? Or do you's usually discharge them to like 2.5v?

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
All my cells arrived at 3.29v and no visible signs of bloating, do you's usually "clamp" them together when they are at the voltage with which you receive them at? Or do you's usually discharge them to like 2.5v?
Yes we clamp them straight away and then do a fast top balance. Once clamped we leave them as is for eternity.

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
These are the threadbars we use:

with these nuts:

and these tubes:

Amazon product ASIN B008NC7GH2

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
RogerIvy first of all thank you for your's and Nigels youtube videos, super job 👍, 2ndly thanks for the links, I'll prob be starting to install my Basen lifepo4 280ah 4s Bank next week, so I dare say I'll be looking more help^^ and yes the cells are the type with the horrible shallow tapped holes where you screw in the studs, as apposed to lazer welded studs, so I'll need gentle hands, I do plan on using a little red locktite on the studs to ensure they don't move when tightening down the nut, and also to prevent stud movement from vibrations when on the road.

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We’ve tried (and failed) to find a reasonably priced supplier of flexible busbars in the UK. I’d prefer flexible if they were a reasonable price.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Here's my new battery pack that I have just built using CATL 271Ah cells
I built it to suit our needs and usage as we will not be drawing big amperage from it, it's the capacity we want as we rarely use ehu.

1634627491563.png

One bone of contention in the LifePo4 self-build battery fraternity at present is the subject of cell compression.
Personally I'm not convinced, and for the way we are going to be using this new battery pack it is not necessary in my view as the cell manufacturer's aluminum containers are made already to hold the cell contents at 300 kgf as indicated on their spec sheets and by this statement on one manufacturer's specification under cycle life it says "The battery cell is under the action of preset 300kgf force".
There seems to be no definitive answer to compressing cells or not as the cell manufacturer's are not giving clear guidance one way or the other or how to implement cell compression if required leading to everyone having an idea of how to do it.

1634627536133.png

1634628569515.png

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Here's my new battery pack that I have just built using CATL 271Ah cells
I built it to suit our needs and usage as we will not be drawing big amperage from it, it's the capacity we want as we rarely use ehu.

View attachment 549351

One bone of contention in the LifePo4 self-build battery fraternity at present is the subject of cell compression.
Personally I'm not convinced, and for the way we are going to be using this new battery pack it is not necessary in my view as the cell manufacturer's aluminum containers are made already to hold the cell contents at 300 kgf as indicated on their spec sheets and by this statement on one manufacturer's specification under cycle life it says "The battery cell is under the action of preset 300kgf force".
There seems to be no definitive answer to compressing cells or not as the cell manufacturer's are not giving clear guidance one way or the other or how to implement cell compression if required leading to everyone having an idea of how to do it.

View attachment 549352

View attachment 549355
What's the black box next to the BMS if you don't mind me asking thanks?

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
What's the black box next to the BMS if you don't mind me asking thanks?

It's an active cell balancer.
The Daly Smart BMS only has a 30ma balancing current which struggles on a larger cell capacity, so I'm using a standalone active cell balancer that I was using on our previous LifePo4 battery.

1634631388444.png

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
It's an active cell balancer.
The Daly Smart BMS only has a 30ma balancing current which struggles on a larger cell capacity, so I'm using a standalone active cell balancer that I was using on our previous LifePo4 battery.

View attachment 549363
Great job 👍

EML

Sep 18, 2018
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
15 years
One thing that is always lacking in cross section is the copper tube crimp terminals on the end of your pos and neg cables attached to your battery posts.
True, but they're also very much shorter than the cable run, so have a relatively low resistance.

Very back-of-the-envelope argument: if the terminal and the cable have similar resistivity, and the terminal has a 7mm run to the battery post, and the cable is 100mm, and the terminal has half the cross-sectional area of the cable, then each terminal has a resistance of about 15% that of the cable. So the overall assembly resistance increases by about 30% after crimping.

The quality of the crimping might be an issue, though.

EML

Sep 18, 2018
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
15 years
True, but they're also very much shorter than the cable run, so have a relatively low resistance.

Very back-of-the-envelope argument: if the terminal and the cable have similar resistivity, and the terminal has a 7mm run to the battery post, and the cable is 100mm, and the terminal has half the cross-sectional area of the cable, then each terminal has a resistance of about 15% that of the cable. So the overall assembly resistance increases by about 30% after crimping.

The quality of the crimping might be an issue, though.

Ok - just watched the first 3 minutes of Raul's video, and it looks like they'll go through this anyway. The other 33 minutes will have to wait for a w/end... 🙂

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
The interesting comparison is the thermal imaging with the flat bars vs crimped cable jumpers. On the flat bar you can see 4 distinctive hot spots. None on the cable jumpers.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
Back in the 1970's I worked in telephone exchanges. The 50v dc power was carried by aluminium busbars.
The joints were draw filed, the joint area smeared in vaseline, and a clamp used to connect 2 overlapping bars.
Then a heavy current passed through joint, 100amps? And a galvanometer used to check the voltage drop.
It sometimes took a few attempts on the wider 6" bars to get a good joint.

I assume the lithium connecting bars are thin enough to mold to the terminals and not require fettling.

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Back in the 1970's I worked in telephone exchanges. The 50v dc power was carried by aluminium busbars.
The joints were draw filed, the joint area smeared in vaseline, and a clamp used to connect 2 overlapping bars.
Then a heavy current passed through joint, 100amps? And a galvanometer used to check the voltage drop.

I assume the lithium connecting bars are thin enough to mold to the terminals and not require fettling.
I suppose its how flat are the busbars? they are most probably lasered out or punched, if punched it could cause some distortion and if lasered limited by quality of raw material.

It would be good to blue the bars and see what contact they have with the battery terminal for piece of mind then if not a bit of fettling like you say to seat them flat.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010

With LifePo4 cells, I give the aluminum surface of the terminal posts a light going over with a needle file to remove any oxidisation before applying a smear of dielectric grease to them to prevent further oxidisation.
Each of the crimp terminals on the flexible busbars and balance leads gets a going over with a stainless steel wire brush, then they too get a smear of dielectric grease before being torqued down.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back