Life is moving on ! (1 Viewer)

Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Well I will be 55 next month and if the next 10 years go as fast as the last 10, then I need to do things now!
No mortgage (paid off ) , no debts , no dependants .
My head is full of thoughts of giving up my job , live off my savings and downsizing the property to enable me to follow through going off in the van for long periods.
I am still wanting to get a dog , but theres a little voice in my head telling me wait another few years to do this.
I have always worked , started at 12 with a newspaper round/Saturday job then at 16 full time work , then night school for my O levels to enable me to get into nursing . Imagining life without a full time job seems stange.
Its the fear factor I guess. :Sad:

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Imagine you are on your deathbed; would you prefer to be saying "I did some wonderful things in my life, saw beautiful places and have amazing memories", OR "I wish that I could have had the courage to do all the things that I wanted to do but now it's too late."

If you really want something strongly enough then you will find a way to achieve it. I'll always remember what an old lady once said to me. She said, "When I was younger I never had enough money to travel. Now I'm older and I have the money I no longer have the good health for travelling."

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
You would be surprised how cheaply you can live if you put your mind to it:thumb:

As they say in project management circles JFDI!:Eeek:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Get your rescue dog, settle him in and then you can both go off and discover the world.

No point looking at wonderful walks and so on wishing you had a dog to tag along. Go and do it - life is too short!

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Follow your dream.

Only you can know if its the right thing for .

Whatever your choice I wish you all the best.

Mel

jennyp19

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Sunny Scunny
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
about 10 yrs
Be warned the older you get, the quicker time seems to fly by - if you thought the last 10 were quick the next 10 will be super sonic. :cry:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
we both retired early last year me at 61 wife younger :ROFLMAO: it is definitely fear factor once you have reached a certain the point that you have. weve most of us been there.

Wife had a "wake up call" and we got through it:thumb:

so we dropped everything and now just do what we like, when we like. we did a simple reassessment of what was financially important and got on with it.

ok, so any major unnecessary expenditure may have to be carefully planned, but that should probably have been the case when we were both working:Doh:

there a simple saying we used in the last place i worked ... " Think Nike" there sloggan

" JUST DO IT":Cool:

May 6, 2010
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Exp
April 2010
No1 Get a dog, nothing compares to the pure love of a dog
No2 Have a dream, an idea, whatever it is give it a go !, if it does not work you will try/ move onto something else, it won't kill you ! there's always another road or idea to follow

Try Anything...Regret Nothing :thumb:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Enjoy your self its later than you think. Been retired 12years, been travelling Europe 10 years, sold the house 7 years ago (rent from housing association now} to fund life style. We dont regret a day of it. Long may we travel. BUSBY

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Well I will be 55 next month and if the next 10 years go as fast as the last 10, then I need to do things now!
No mortgage (paid off ) , no debts , no dependants .
My head is full of thoughts of giving up my job , live off my savings and downsizing the property to enable me to follow through going off in the van for long periods.
I am still wanting to get a dog , but theres a little voice in my head telling me wait another few years to do this.
I have always worked , started at 12 with a newspaper round/Saturday job then at 16 full time work , then night school for my O levels to enable me to get into nursing . Imagining life without a full time job seems stange.
Its the fear factor I guess. :Sad:

From your post I would think you are trying to justify things to your self, is there any good reason not to do it now, have you read the thread on Morocco, just a little taste of what life can be like, no reason you can not do a bit of work now and then if you really want to, how about fostering a dog for a couple of months, see how you get on with that, if it feels right then get your own dog.

Live your dream while you can, share it with us some times, go on you know you want to, :Smile:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
From a Fulltimer...

It is better to regret something you have done than something you wish you did...

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:Smile: 55? You are just a baby. Get out there and do it.... still young enought to take another fork in the road if you take the wrong one..

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
After being in the NHS for 35 yrs. I was very worried about whether I could afford to live if I retired at 60. I can honestly say I am relieved to find that not only can I get by unsalaried but barely notice the difference except NOT HAVING TO GO TO WORK. I tell everyone that retirement is the best job I've ever had ::bigsmile:
Wyn

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
i think this line from the last paragraphs of the theworldisourlobster blog sums it up nicely.....

"I've learned to live in the moment and not by the list; to appreciate the simple things in life; and to recognise that fear is all in the mind"

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Instead of giving up work altogether, would you be able instead to take a sabbatical or gap year? It would allow you to see how you got one before you made the decision a permanent one. If you do then leave work, as a nurse you could then always do some 'cover' agency work as and when you wanted/needed to.

It isn't just black and white, therre are various shades of grey too ... 50 I hear!::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back