ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Ok good evening,,, This is what I would like to say!!!

apart from my bedroom, and a few touches, all of my new flat is extremely liveable now, and I’m more than happy and comfortable to be living in it !!

as you know, or may not, last year was not my finest! I won’t repeat all that happened but it went from bad to worse really,,, I was struggling to get to grips with the everyday, until in November I think it was, I got a call from the council, saying that they put me forward for this place,, so a light appeared!!

After that, and not long after that, a mystery benefactor , (not unlike pips in the Charles Dickens novel) was generous enough to give Jim £500 as a gift for me, for my new flat,,, well that led to a just giving thread that raised me around £1000 , From then on, my life took a dramatic turn,,, I was no longer living on the dark side, and almost immediately I started to feel more positive, alive, and exited about my future! For all that you have done, as a group, and individually, no words can express my gratitude and heartfelt thanks,,

I am now sitting in my new flat, writing this with a smile on my face and a warm glow of contentment,,, I actually do start work next week, so until I start advertising and getting my own work, that will do me nicely!!

I have a new flat, van, life and I will enjoy every min,,, there is, of course an open invitation to visit, stay whatever, and I’m chomping at the bit, for a chance to return the generosity I’ve been shown!!

now I did promise a breakdown of my figures etc so here we go!!

I Will not be guilding the Lilly and please don’t lecture me on what I had, or spent, especially re Helga!!

I sold Helga to the first person who showed a genuine interest,, £12,500

Funster fund,£1000

I also was given another £300 from someone I helped a year previous,,

total monies available £13,800

I gave some money to my daughter/ granddaughter/ stepdaughter

that left me with£12,300

I paid just over £1000 for kitchen appliances, washing machine, fridge freezer, oven, microwave, kettle, plates and utensils,,

£11,150

I the paid nearly £900 for my carpets, that I didn’t want to compromise on, after not having any for 5/6 years, along with everything else!

£10,200

I paid £3750 for my van, £450 insurance,

£6000

I have not yet paid any rent or council tax and at this moment my bank balance is sitting at a healthy £5000 give or take a hundred or so!!!

so that’s it,, liveable flat, new van, full fridge freezer work starting soon and money in the bank! My life couldn’t get much better,, and 90% of how I feel, and where I am now, is directly down to you chosen few!! So I would like you to give yourselves a huge pat on the back for changing and improving a life!!

I’m glad I can still post, even without a Motorhome, and a thanks to the boss Jim, who, you might not realise renewed my membership before Xmas, at no cost to me!
From the top of this site to me at the bottom there are some huge hearts!!

I love you all,, and thank you for everything!!

ps,,, please don’t have a go at me about selling Helga too cheaply,, I needed the money and she needed money spending on her that I didn’t have,, she’s gone to a good home, and I’m sure she will be pampered! Xx.

there you go,,,that’s about it in a nutshell ,,,

all figures are approximate, and no warranty is employed or given! Lol. Xxxxxx

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Ian no need to show us a break down it’s yours to do with what you like.

You’ve given us on the forum much more than you will ever know and you deserve your new flat and lifestyle .
Thanks for all the laughter in Helga over the years and we look forward to your new adventures!!

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Ian no need to show us a break down it’s yours to do with what you like.

You’ve given us on the forum much more than you will ever know and you deserve your new flat and lifestyle .
Thanks for all the laughter in Helga over the years and we look forward to your new adventures!!
Well said Anthea really enjoy Ian's posts.

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
Ok good evening,,, This is what I would like to say!!!

apart from my bedroom, and a few touches, all of my new flat is extremely liveable now, and I’m more than happy and comfortable to be living in it !!

as you know, or may not, last year was not my finest! I won’t repeat all that happened but it went from bad to worse really,,, I was struggling to get to grips with the everyday, until in November I think it was, I got a call from the council, saying that they put me forward for this place,, so a light appeared!!

After that, and not long after that, a mystery benefactor , (not unlike pips in the Charles Dickens novel) was generous enough to give Jim £500 as a gift for me, for my new flat,,, well that led to a just giving thread that raised me around £1000 , From then on, my life took a dramatic turn,,, I was no longer living on the dark side, and almost immediately I started to feel more positive, alive, and exited about my future! For all that you have done, as a group, and individually, no words can express my gratitude and heartfelt thanks,,

I am now sitting in my new flat, writing this with a smile on my face and a warm glow of contentment,,, I actually do start work next week, so until I start advertising and getting my own work, that will do me nicely!!

I have a new flat, van, life and I will enjoy every min,,, there is, of course an open invitation to visit, stay whatever, and I’m chomping at the bit, for a chance to return the generosity I’ve been shown!!

now I did promise a breakdown of my figures etc so here we go!!

I Will not be guilding the Lilly and please don’t lecture me on what I had, or spent, especially re Helga!!

I sold Helga to the first person who showed a genuine interest,, £12,500

Funster fund,£1000

I also was given another £300 from someone I helped a year previous,,

total monies available £13,800

I gave some money to my daughter/ granddaughter/ stepdaughter

that left me with£12,300

I paid just over £1000 for kitchen appliances, washing machine, fridge freezer, oven, microwave, kettle, plates and utensils,,

£11,150

I the paid nearly £900 for my carpets, that I didn’t want to compromise on, after not having any for 5/6 years, along with everything else!

£10,200

I paid £3750 for my van, £450 insurance,

£6000

I have not yet paid any rent or council tax and at this moment my bank balance is sitting at a healthy £5000 give or take a hundred or so!!!

so that’s it,, liveable flat, new van, full fridge freezer work starting soon and money in the bank! My life couldn’t get much better,, and 90% of how I feel, and where I am now, is directly down to you chosen few!! So I would like you to give yourselves a huge pat on the back for changing and improving a life!!

I’m glad I can still post, even without a Motorhome, and a thanks to the boss Jim, who, you might not realise renewed my membership before Xmas, at no cost to me!
From the top of this site to me at the bottom there are some huge hearts!!

I love you all,, and thank you for everything!!

ps,,, please don’t have a go at me about selling Helga too cheaply,, I needed the money and she needed money spending on her that I didn’t have,, she’s gone to a good home, and I’m sure she will be pampered! Xx.

there you go,,,that’s about it in a nutshell ,,,

all figures are approximate, and no warranty is employed or given! Lol. Xxxxxx

Not sure why you are justifying your finances to anyone here, it’s your money to do as you wish, ignore anyone who disagrees or questions it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
So pleased you're on good form and things have worked out!

All the best. (y)

Reactions: f6c
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
A fantastic heart rendering post by Ian, well done you matey, hopefully others who are not having the best of luck will take heart from Ian's post and realise that they are part of a family here in Motorhome Fun and for every downside there is an upside.

God bless ya all, (not that I'm religious) :giggle:;)

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Good morning,,,
Bloody cold out there at 5 am it was!! The first time I have seen a frost on my windscreen!! Nicer now though!!

ok, tomorrow I’m having the van signed up, from about 8 am,, and the guy that’s doing that has put me onto a bloke that does printing etc,, so I’ve ordered 500 business cards and six polo shirts matching the colour and writing of the van!! Now it gets interesting!!

the both of them, John the sign, and Johnathan the printer, are members of something called a breakfast club,, they have a range of people there, they meet at 6.30 on a Thursday morning, till 8.30 at a hotel in broomfield I think he said,, now I have been invited to attend this Thursday morning! And the bonus is, there looking for a builder to join,, the last one left due to getting too much work! I’m sure there will be a cost involved, we shall see, but for a new to the area builder like me, it could be a great opportunity!!

Im chilling today,,,signs tomorrow, breakfast club on Thursday,, Starting to get better!

hope your well,, chat later! Xxxx

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
As others said Ian, there's no need to justify or detail your finances, but I'm pleased you are contented in your flat and in life in general and looking forward with a positive outlook for the future.
As the weather improves I'm sure work will come rolling in for the spring.
Your life does seem to have changed completely and for the better in the last three months, so go forward young man and make the most of it .......
This is a great forum to be a member of.
Gotta go, welling up now.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
John the sign, and Johnathan the printer, are members of something called a breakfast club

If they are sitting around in the Buff when you get there Ian,,,,RUN as fast as you can, you can never be to sure now days :rofl:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
i had my first builders van sign written and never got a job from it, people find builders by word of mouth or from the internet these days, bored office workers looking for a builder while sat at work, also if you get work through a local builder they might not take to kindly to you advertising on their job.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I was in The BNI (Business Networking International) started by an American chap called (Ivan Misner) for over 5 years, Every Tuesday morning at The Hogs Back Hotel Farnham, Buffet style breakfast, and loads of it.
Each Town will have its own Club, with hopefully many members, only one member per trade is allowed to join, inc a funeral director, solicitor, accountant, web designer, builder, electrician, heating engineer, and always, always a utility warehouse rep:giggle:many other trades also.
It cost me up to 2007 about £450/500 a year to join, to cover subs and breakfasts etc, once you join you effectively lock every other builder out from joining.
The art is constantly working on your "60 Second Presentation" where each member starts the meeting off by standing and in 60 seconds telling the others in the group what they do, how long for, and their unique USP is (unique selling proposition) just PM me and I will give you some help, but your fellow members will do that, along with all the bumph you will get in the BNI Joiners kit.
Each member is supposed to provide as many referrals to each of the members as possible, and you are required to do the same. You are allowed to come to one 1st meeting, maybe 2nd, but you will have to make a commitment to join after that, to enable you to attend, and lock out any other builders that may wish to join.
When you go along, you will be introduced formally, and welcomed, but you probably wont get any referrals until you sign up, which is fair enough IMO.
Check out the size of the group first, check out how long each member has been in the group, ideally you need a group size of at least 15 plus members as the more members the more referrals every week, but remeber you have to somehow find referrals for them each week also.
You will soon get the hang of it, you will soon work out who is giving weak referrals, and good qualified referrals.
It can be fun being a member of a good group, that sticks to the BNI guidelines & rules, it takes sometime to get your head round it, but the "Trades" did extremely well.
I personally earned thousands out of it,over the 5 years, but I also worked hard in giving back to the other members by getting them good referrals (which is good as they then feel indebted to you, and feel obliged to do the same)
LIke any group some will work harder than others, but you will soon suss them out, and not be bothered to help them if they are not giving anyone referrals, they will eventually leave and get replaced by someone that is keener.
That's the basics of how it works, it takes a lot of commitment, but if its a good group, with a good secretary that structures the group well, you will get referrals, loads of them, large & small, probably doing work initially for the other members as I did, but great way to start as they then see how good you are, and have to give a glowing reference to others.
Remember Ian, this is a worldwide organisation, with a BNI group in every town, if the group is fairly new, with only a few members, it will take time to get to full strength.
Hope you enjoy your first meeting and have a laugh, although it can be a bit daunting being put under pressure with the 60 second presentation, but its always a laugh when the new ,members try and say too much, get timed out with a bell, and have to sit down only half way through:LOL:
You see, that's your first long distance intro referral from me all the way down here to the BNI, enjoy it, but as I say check out the group size, and the personalities in the group, as in life, some you will like, some you wont.

All the best.
LES

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
A lot of builders sub contract work out to different tradesmen who have sign written vans. Just seen builder doing extension at bottom of our road 4 vans all with different names on. No need to pee on every ones enjoyment at Ian's progress.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
It wont be long before Ian is sub contracting work out to other trades, like sparkies, carpenters, heating engineers, even carpet fitters as he will be the main contractor on any extensions he gets.
It will take time to get set up in a new area, but it wont take long before he is doing 3/4 extensions plus a year, its all about contacts & networking initially, word of mouth after that.
Then his prices go up:giggle:

LES

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Good evening,, here is the news,,,

I’ve just met the bloke who’s going to move in above me,, den, lovely bloke, single father every other weekend!

he’s moving in in about a week,,, and we had a lovely chat, really nice hard working bloke! And you’ll never guess what he does for a living,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, He’s a self employed builders labourer, with experience of small works, extensions etc,,, and he is being messed about by a builder,, but he has got work for the next five weeks!

Could that be any better for me!
I expect to be doing my own work in 4/5 weeks and a bloke who’s ready for work living upstairs! Lol. What luck, maybe for both of us!!!

Now, I had my amazon package delivered today, and I’ve just spent the last 20 mins sorting it out! See pic!! I liked em in Helga, so I got some for here, and I think it looks ok! What do you reckon ??
0CC3BEBD-E440-4C7F-AAD2-BEB18CFE2BD8.jpeg
AEE42F65-95D6-43D6-8DC0-F106F8654FF0.jpeg
E3BECC3B-9A12-4E18-A93E-ED317A292E1E.jpeg
Of course I have a plethora of colours available! Lol xx

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Good evening,, here is the news,,,

I’ve just met the bloke who’s going to move in above me,, den, lovely bloke, single father every other weekend!

he’s moving in in about a week,,, and we had a lovely chat, really nice hard working bloke! And you’ll never guess what he does for a living,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, He’s a self employed builders labourer, with experience of small works, extensions etc,,, and he is being messed about by a builder,, but he has got work for the next five weeks!

Could that be any better for me!
I expect to be doing my own work in 4/5 weeks and a bloke who’s ready for work living upstairs! Lol. What luck, maybe for both of us!!!

Now, I had my amazon package delivered today, and I’ve just spent the last 20 mins sorting it out! See pic!! I liked em in Helga, so I got some for here, and I think it looks ok! What do you reckon ?? View attachment 358166View attachment 358167View attachment 358168Of course I have a plethora of colours available! Lol xx
Do you do purple !# askingforafriend!?

Great news about your new neighbour will he be opposite smelly cat woman?!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back