Lidl expanding hose (1 Viewer)

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Saw expanding hose in Lidl Fr today, 14€ for a 15 metre one and wondered if anybody has experience of these.
Don’t start on about food grade hose, please

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I had one but it started leaking .. don't know why and it a pain to put back. Got a curly plastic one .. was pleased .. until cold weather came and it went rock hard and kept breaking off at the end like peanut brittle. Back to a nice, normal one now .. not plastic .. a sort of flexible rubber which looks like it might last forever ..Very light. (B &Q.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I have 2 from eBay, i assume Lidl type quality and they are very useful, take up less space, more easy to drain down

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Bought ours in Spain 90ft one was €12

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I m sure I only paid a fiver off eBay four our expandable non food grade hose. Had it about 3 years. Far easier overall use Imho. Apart from food transfer of course

Apr 29, 2014
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Chieftain
Exp
Since 2004
Carry two with me gives me about 35 mitres not the quickest to fill but I recommend them only problem happened once in France too much pressure burst the end but used them for 4/5 years

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Where are you all parking that you need such a long hose to fill?

I've never been more than 6 feet from a tap at numerous places.
I carry a 3 metre bit garden hose that takes 2 mins to roll up.

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
I bought a cheap one but after a month or so I noticed very small black particles in my fresh water tank and it was the inner part of the cheap hose breaking down

I now have a hozelock one and never had a problem my advise would be put the extra towards it and buy a good quality hozelock one it will last you years

You get what you pay for

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I bought two from Amazon s couple of years ago. One 15m and one 30m. Both have stop cocks one end and screw connection the other. Put quick connectors on both and I can join them together if needed. Works well for us. Also have 3m and 6m short garden hose coils as well for when I use a moho filling point.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'm not a fan ... we had 2 which we recently took to the tip! They have a slow flow rate compared to a normal hose so filling can take a while and if you're on a 'timed' water tap you can end up with only half of what a normal hose would allow.

We found that the fittings can eventually leak and to be honest they don't save much space compared to a normal hose if it's wound up well - we have 2 normal hoses, the wound smaller one fits in the centre of the wound larger one and goes pretty flat so can be easily stored.

If you need to use 2 of them they can also try to 'mate' by curling round each other if you're not careful and are a b*gger to separate! :p

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I'm not a fan ... we had 2 which we recently took to the tip! They have a slow flow rate compared to a normal hose so filling can take a while and if you're on a 'timed' water tap you can end up with only half of what a normal hose would allow.

We found that the fittings can eventually leak and to be honest they don't save much space compared to a normal hose if it's wound up well - we have 2 normal hoses, the wound smaller one fits in the centre of the wound larger one and goes pretty flat so can be easily stored.

If you need to use 2 of them they can also try to 'mate' by curling round each other if you're not careful and are a b*gger to separate! :p
Are we talking about the same type of hose? These are the ones that expand when there is water pressure in the pipe and shrink down when the pressure is released. The art is to keep some of the pressure in the pipe so they work best when the flow is throttled back a bit, using the valve at the motorhome end. That way they remain expanded and have a good bore and flow rate. I have never had any problem with flow rates with these. And mine are just roughly rolled up and put in the same storage box together. I never have any problems separating them.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
The trouble I have with food grade hoses is that my chips get stuck in them.....:cool:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Are we talking about the same type of hose?
... possibly not, I was thinking of the 'spiral' ones that look like long springs, but on second thoughts are we talking about the ones that 'swell' rather rudely? :D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yes...... and you have a filthy mind.:D2
... I didn't design them ... I remember the first time someone linked to a video of them on here ... if you think I've got a dirty mind, it's pretty much pure white compared to what others come out with! :D2

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Yes mine are the rudely expanding No problem with flow rates and all fittings are good quality brass. They just drop in the bag provided no tangle and take up very little space.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I`ve got 2, they live in the slide-out box on the M-H, and give me up to 60 metres, if I couple them together. £15-00 each from a local Market. Not food grade but then the water never spend much time in contact with them anyway, and the Pump in the MH has a filter on the suction which removes debris, chlorines and some scale, and the tank gets cleaned regularly.

OP
OP
Manic
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thanks for all the input.
I think if I see them in Lidl again I will give one ago.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
This type of hose tends to be light and compact (after water has been excluded).
If it doesn't come with the right connectors, you will need to buy some and that would add to your cost.
Not sure how you can measure quality but it's usually related to price.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I’ve got a long one and a short one (I’m lucky;)) had them for two years and had to fix one end once but was easy and I’ve a small leak along the length of one but it doesn’t bother me.... they get used a lot and the ease and lightness of them makes it a no brainier for me, and I buy them as cheep as I can...(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back