Oct 26, 2007
South Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
8 years
Hi all
What licence do I need to tow a normal sized car on an A frame behind my 7 1/2 ton RV .do I need the old class 2 which I believe has a limit of 28 tons train weight or do I need class 1, different training providers give differing answers,I do realise this topic has been covered before but am too lazy to find the threads,:Blush:
thanks
Roy.

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Hi Found this on here

Link Removed

The LGV Category C Licence replaces the old HGV Category 3 and 2 Licences. The HGV 3 Licence allowed the holder to drive any ridged HGV vehicle with no more than two axles. The HGV 2 Licence allowed the holder to drive any rigid HGV vehicle with more than two axles, for example a tipper with four axles.
The holder of the new LGV Category C Licence is qualified to drive any LGV rigid vehicle no matter what the size, weight, or number of axles.

The LGV Category C Licence also allows the holder to train for the LGV Category C+E entitlement (Articulated Vehicles or Vehicles Towing Trailers). The time limit on how long an LGV Category C Licence must be held before training can commence on a LGV Category C+E Vehicle is simply how long the DVLA in Swansea take to process the Licence. The processing generally takes between one and two weeks. This can be shortened if the application is sent by Registered Post.

The LGV Category C+E Licence replaces the old HGV Class One Licence. The holder of the new LGV Category C+E Licence is qualified to drive any Articulated Vehicle or any Rigid Vehicle while pulling a trailer, regardless of weight or axle numbers.

Regards Pat

OP
OP
R

roycondor

Free Member
Oct 26, 2007
South Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
8 years
licence

Cheers pat,
as I expected as the car is classed as a trailer, regardless of weight I require the C+E which I am now looking into
roy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi Roy,

now i could be talking out the wrong hole here but it depends when you took your test.

car licence entitlement.

pre '97 you can drive UP TO 8.25t train....if the toad is 1.25t then the RV should be 7t max laden. forget the 7.5t gross...thats only the maximum weight. its the train weight you need to worry about.

post '97.....unless you have a 'c' class licence you shouldnt be driving it anyway:whatthe:

Last edited:

damondunc

Funster
Aug 2, 2007
near Lincoln
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
licences

all vehicle weights as far as the dvla and vosa are concerned are measured on gross vehicle weights for driving licence purposes (or as they now term it MAM maximum authorised mass)not what the vehicle actually weighs. You may find that a small car like a citroen ax actually weighs very little but as far as towing goes the powers at be will view it's weight as somewhere around 1000kgs.
Dunc.

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
hi Roy,

now i could be talking out the wrong hole here but it depends when you took your test.

car licence entitlement.

pre '97 you can drive UP TO 8.25t train....if the toad is 1.25t then the RV should be 7t max laden. forget the 7.5t gross...thats only the maximum weight. its the train weight you need to worry about.

post '97.....unless you have a 'c' class licence you shouldnt be driving it anyway:whatthe:

Hi Pappajohn

I'm sorry but your reasoning is wrong as VOSA and the Police work on gross vehicle weights, otherwise by your reasoning you could therefore drive a tractor unit plated for 18tons gross weight and 44tons train weight without the trailer as it weighs less than 7.5 tons empty:Eeek::Eeek:

Regards Pat

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Pappajohn

I'm sorry but your reasoning is wrong as VOSA and the Police work on gross vehicle weights, otherwise by your reasoning you could therefore drive a tractor unit plated for 18tons gross weight and 44tons train weight without the trailer as it weighs less than 7.5 tons empty:Eeek::Eeek:

Regards Pat

only if you remove the fifth wheel..:winky: thats what the pompous little t*at with the monicle and cane did.

very good point pat but as you know we all interpret things differently.....A frames spring to mind:winky:

suppose im breaking the law towing me toad.....860kg unladen....1140kg laden:Eeek:

i did say i was probably talking out the wrong hole though.:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

roycondor

Free Member
Oct 26, 2007
South Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
8 years
I am sorry but this gets more confusing, as far as I can see the only way to be completely within the law or vosa rules or both would be to obtain whatever the equivalent of the old class one licence is, seems to be a bargain at £1200 plus

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I am sorry but this gets more confusing, as far as I can see the only way to be completely within the law or vosa rules or both would be to obtain whatever the equivalent of the old class one licence is, seems to be a bargain at £1200 plus

you aint kidding mate,

rules are only as good as the person interpreting them and thats usually the law makers.:Angry:

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
I am afraid as has been said earlier this is the eternal triangle of motorhoming!!

A) Licence required B) 'A' Frames and C) Gassing

All three help keep these forums alive:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Regards Pat

des

Free Member
Oct 1, 2007
south staffs
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
5 years
I believe that, if your RV MAM is only 7500kgs, you only require a C1+E. Although this test is virtually identical to the C+E, you should be able to do it straight away with your grandfather C1 rights. Otherwise you will have to do a C first, then a C+E. No doubt I will be corrected soon if this is wrong. Of course, if you may drive a heavier RV in the future, the full C+E would still be the best investment.

des

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Hi Roycondor

The official DVLA regulations are shown <here>

All weights refer to maximum authorised mass (MAM) - this is the total weight of the vehicle plus the maximum load it can carry.

Boiled down to basics it is:

To drive a car up to 3½ tons requires a 'B' licence

To drive a car up to 3½ tons and a trailer up to ¾ tons requires a 'B' Licence (4¼ tons maximum)

To drive a car up to 3½ tons with a trailer in excess of ¾ tons requires a 'B + E' licence.

To drive a vehicle between 3½ and 7½ tons requires a 'C1' licence.

To drive a vehicle between 3½ and 7½ tons with a trailer up to ¾ tons requires a 'C1' licence. (8¼ tons maximum)

To drive a vehicle between 3½ tons and 7½ tons plus a trailer over ¾ tons requires a 'C1 + E' licence. (12 tons maximum)

One major point to note in this bracket -

Combinations of vehicles where the towing vehicle is in licence C1 and its trailer has a MAM of over ¾ tons provided that the MAM of the combination thus formed does not exceed 12 tons and the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen mass of the towing vehicle. (If you passed your category B test prior to 1.1.1997 you will be restricted to a total weight not more than 8¼ tons) requires a C1 + E licence.

In other words if you passed your test after 1 Jan 1997 you can drive up to 12 tons on a 'C1 + E' licence.

To drive a vehicle over 7½ tons requires a 'C' licence.

To drive a vehicle over 7½ tons plus a trailer up to ¾ tons requires a 'C' Licence. (8¼ tons maximum)

To drive a vehicle over 7½ tons plus a trailer over ¾ tons requires a 'C + E ' licence.

You are NOT allowed to pull a trailer over ¾ tons without an 'E' licence added to you basic licence - so for example - you cannot tow a 1½ ton trailer with a 2 ton car (3½ ton gross) with a 'B' licence even though that gross falls within the 'B' licence weights. You simply are NOT allowed to pull over ¾ tons without an 'E' licence.

I am quite willing to be shot down in flames - but I am also pretty sure - that is an accurate reflection of the DVLA documentation.

Last edited:

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
this is the bit thats confusing Pat.

C1+E BEFORE 1997 near bottom of page.

Hi pappajohn -

I think the reasoning is:

if you took your licence before 1997 and the introduction of the C1 test - you were automatically granted the right to a C1E licence. You didn't actually take a 'heavy' test - and therefore you are restricted to the minor weight of 8¼ tons).

If you took your test for a C1E entitlement after 1997 you were actually properly tested to drive a heavy vehicle and therefore are allowed to drive up to 12 tons

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back