Free Member
Dec 10, 2019
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I will be a newbie
Hi Guys.
I was wondering about insurance costs for a 6m campervan. I'm thinking of buying a LHD model as I plan to spend a lot, or as much time as possible allowing for Brexit rulings, driving in Europe and further afield. Is there any difference in insurance costs with regards to LHD v RHD?

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Don't know but it's a question on the insurance questionnaire/quotation.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 10, 2014
Dorset by the sea
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584 Classic
Exp
Since 2016
As above, it should make no difference.

My previous van was a VW Westfalia LHD through Adrian Flux and I now have a Hymer LHD through Comfort. As each vehicle came as LHD from factory it didn't alter premium.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
No differences from the insurers with regards to LHD that we tried apart from Caravan Guard who won't insure any self imports even after inspection & UK registration! This is only highlighted at the end of the quotation process too.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
It makes you wonder why insurance companies waste time asking. They don't seem to be interested in where you intend to drive it.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Having had a LH drive for 9 years now I would have said that there no difference in my experience. However, I have just spent 3 hours today trawling for quotes prompted by a huge increase in my premium. When I questioned the increase, they said that it was because it was LHD.

I got 6 quotes today, 2 from brokers and 3 direct for underwriters. ALL quoted between £80-110 extra for LHD. I can't swear it, but I can't remember being asked before.

Seems like the industry has had a policy change.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I asked if our insurance was loaded for being lhd and the answer was no.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
No differences from the insurers with regards to LHD that we tried apart from Caravan Guard who won't insure any self imports even after inspection & UK registration! This is only highlighted at the end of the quotation process too.
It makes you wonder why they do that?how would they they know if it was a self import after the first year of insurance do they actually ask the question. I believe that’s discriminatory what if you bought a van privately from someone who had self imported for themselves and were changing vans you probably wouldn’t know to even ask the question if you were new to Motorhomes.?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back