Levelling Van on Drive at Home. (1 Viewer)

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
I have to park my motorhome on a steeply sloping drive at home. The rear wheels need to be raised by 15" to get it level. I won't bore you with my reasons for wanting it level!!!!

Conventional levelling ramps are not much use as they are not high enough and when used one on top of the other slide around as I try to drive on to them.

So I was thinking of making up some strips about 5 ft long x 1 ft wide so that I can drive the vehicle up on a reasonably gentle slope onto a pile of bricks.

Has anyone any idea whether aluminium would be strong enough and if so where can I get it? Would I be able to get it pre-cut as I've no means of doing it myself?

The alternative is steel but that's a bit heavy for my aging back.

Any alternative ideas anyone?

dikyenfo

Free Member
Aug 29, 2007
lincoln
Funster No
MH
A class Mc Louis with small trailer
Exp
1 year
The cheapest is still going to be wood made up so a gradual build - up of strips until you get the height you want. I do this myself but the reverse of your situation as I want a slope to cast off water.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i assume by your avater you drive in forwards and the rear is low ?

dont forget you need to drive the length of the ramps further forward then reverse onto them.....do you have enough room ?

the ideal ramps would be something like the Ifor Williams trailer ramps.... come in 6ft or 8ft X 16" ish.
rated at 3.5t per pair
unfortunately around £80 a pair but you'll never bend 'em.

as for the 'pile of bricks' :Eeek: certainly not safe in my mind.

much better with a couple of steel A frames made with the top legs slightly shorter than the downhill ones so they stand level and you'll need some kind of anchor for the ramps.
last thing you want is for them to slip back halfway up.:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
evans88

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Papajohn. Thanks. I need to reverse on to the ramps.

I've looked at Ifor Williams trailer ramps which come in at about £200 (used) on ebay. I might be looking at the wrong ones though.

Have you seen specific ones for £80 anywhere as I don't mind spending that sum of money?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Papajohn. Thanks. I need to reverse on to the ramps.

I've looked at Ifor Williams trailer ramps which come in at about £200 (used) on ebay. I might be looking at the wrong ones though.

Have you seen specific ones for £80 anywhere as I don't mind spending that sum of money?

My mistake and apologies.....i just looked at my reciept and that was per ramp :Doh:
(did i really pay that much:whatthe:)

current williams price for a pair of 6ft is £190 + vat:Sad:

Johno

Free Member
Oct 29, 2008
Kent
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
30+ with caravanning & camping
Hello Evans88

Have you thought of trying old railway sleepers (available from reclamation yards) these are really solid and would never collapse but they would take some sawing to get into the desired ramp shape, a job for a chainsaw I imagine.I don't know if there would be any reaction on the tyre from the preservative in the sleeper but a thin layer of out door grade plywood where the tyre would rest should prevent any possibility of this happening.

Regards John.

cater_racer

Free Member
Oct 15, 2008
Chester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Brian James make extra long galvanized ramps for their trailers. They sell the ramps seperately £126

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Just copy this guy::bigsmile:

Link Removed

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I am sure there are some cheap steel mechanics ramps about somewhere, we used to have some for displaying cars on when I had a garage site.

Try Halfords

Peter

OP
OP
evans88

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Thanks to all for your replies. I loved the wobbly ramp and wood - a bit similar to my set up at the moment.::bigsmile:

Peter. Unfortuneately the Halfords type car ramps are too narrow for motorhome tyres and are usually rated at only around 1 tonne. I've discounted the railway sleepers as Mrs E would not like tarmac over our newly bricked drive but otherwise the suggestion was good.

I've e mailed Brian James about their ramps.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
never mind the ramp width.....you'll be lucky to find any with a 15" lift.
most seem to be around 6" to 8" unless you get into commercial stuff and the cost that goes with that.

Feb 25, 2008
Barril da Alva, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
on and off for the whole of my existance
bridgeing ladders

when we need to cross a ditch or climb some thing steep when off - roading, we use fibreglass bridgeing ladders or waffles. very heavy duty, full of holes so relatively light and about 5 foot long. think the last time i saw these for sale they were around £40 pair.
If you are not busy the last week end in sept, come to Abingdon 4x4 festival where you might be able to buy some and if not at least look at mine to see if they would be any good for you. They also work well as mats to put down on wet grass etc.
Give me a shout if you require any more info.
Cheyne

Last edited:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
"bridging ladders "are also available in ally like the ones in this link, a Co. we deal with makes this type of thing and could make the same or to your own spec. Link Removed
Nigel & Pamala

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back