levelling up with twin rear wheels (1 Viewer)

Feb 2, 2009
North West
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Quite a while.....though not long enough
Hi,

What is the general consensus re levelling up (yellow fiamma jobbies), with twin rear wheels.

Is it safe to have just one rear wheel supported or do we need to invest in another set to use a ramp for each rear wheel on the side that needs levelling?

If you had to use just one ramp, is it better on the inner or outer wheel?

Thanks

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I usually try to turn it around so that the front wheels are used.
It doesn't seem right just using one chock with the twin rears does it.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
With the RV I had in the avatar I carried two sets of blocks and supported both wheels.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I will refrain from mentioning Hydraulic? On the subject of yellow ramp I have seen them sitting with one wheel on the ramp but I wouldn’t do it.

Martin

OP
OP
Ian-n-Suzy
Feb 2, 2009
North West
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Quite a while.....though not long enough
Thanks for the replies.

It's left to right I needed to level so would have needed front and rear. I refrained from doing it as I only had the 2 ramps.

I'll put another set on before the next outing.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I would say a single ramp should be under the inner wheel.
Logically, this is the wheel surrounding the bearings and hub in the same way a single wheel does whereas the outer wheel is put on 'backwards' and is outboard of the bearings and hub putting a lever moment on the axle.
In reality, it will make no difference... You aren't going to bend the axle stub or collapse the bearing by placing under the outer wheel.
If it did you would cause damage every time you accidently drove the wheel up a kerb at an angle.

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
Logically, this is the wheel surrounding the bearings and hub in the same way a single wheel does whereas the outer wheel is put on 'backwards' and is outboard of the bearings and hub putting a lever moment on the axle.
In reality, it will make no difference... You aren't going to bend the axle stub or collapse the bearing by placing under the outer wheel.
If it did you would cause damage every time you accidently drove the wheel up a kerb at an angle.

I prefer to use ramps/boards on each wheel because I would have thought that if like in our case the van is pretty much to max weight most of the time to have all the load on one tyre can not be good. More so if I'm parked up for longer periods.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If it did you would cause damage every time you accidentally drove the wheel up a kerb at an angle.
The inner wheel is installed 'dish outward' and the outer wheel 'dish inward'. The centre line is where the wheels meet or (near enough) the hub mounting face. You're correct though about the lever effect. As you suggest riding a kerb would have more effect (and the vehicle loading the outer wheel on a bend an even greater effect) than using a ramp under one wheel. The reason I use the outer wheel is because it's easier than using the inner wheel.:)

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
The inner wheel is installed 'dish outward' and the outer wheel 'dish inward'. The centre line is where the wheels meet or (near enough) the hub mounting face. You're correct though about the lever effect. As you suggest riding a kerb would have more effect (and the vehicle loading the outer wheel on a bend an even greater effect) than using a ramp under one wheel. The reason I use the outer wheel is because it's easier than using the inner wheel.:)

Yes but mounting a kerb etc is only for a second or 2, parking on the chocks maybe for a week or more.

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
It depends on the weight and length of stay. We use Millenco triples and place it centrally under both wheels therefore protecting the hub and halving the weight on each tyre but I wouldn't be comfortable doing it on a 7 or 10 ton vehicle.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The inner wheel is installed 'dish outward' and the outer wheel 'dish inward'. The centre line is where the wheels meet or (near enough) the hub mounting face
Agreed, but the offset on ALL six wheels is the same or you would need more than one spare so the center line of the inner wheel has to be nearer the hub and bearing, as are all single wheels, than the outer even though both are on the OUTER face of the hub.
As I said, you aint going to damage anything no matter which wheel you use.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Agreed, but the offset on ALL six wheels is the same or you would need more than one spare so the center line of the inner wheel has to be nearer the hub and bearing, as are all single wheels, than the outer even though both are on the OUTER face of the hub.
As I said, you aint going to damage anything no matter which wheel you use.
You're correct of course - I hadn't considered the spare issue :). And I completely agree with your last statement.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You're correct of course - I hadn't considered the spare issue :). And I completely agree with your last statement.
Actually a lot of vans on the IVECO chassis have alloy wheels on the front and a matching alloy trim on the rear steel wheels so they are not interchangeable as the alloy does not have the offset dish, the spare is steel and you need to fit a spacer to the front hub to use it, you will also find that the rear hub bearings protrude through the centre of the rear inside wheel so that the combined load of the two wheels is pretty evenly loaded on the bearings.

Martin

Jul 2, 2017
Pr9 9qs
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix 670sl
Exp
Used to use commercial vehicle lifts on trucks and buses only ever sat on the outside wheels bus is about 8000 kilo as is a tractor unit never done any damage so can’t see the problem. Stick em on the outside

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Actually a lot of vans on the IVECO chassis have alloy wheels on the front and a matching alloy trim on the rear steel wheels so they are not interchangeable as the alloy does not have the offset dish, the spare is steel and you need to fit a spacer to the front hub to use it, you will also find that the rear hub bearings protrude through the centre of the rear inside wheel so that the combined load of the two wheels is pretty evenly loaded on the bearings.

Martin
Mine's a Merc chassis and as yet I haven't taken any wheels off but close examination of the rears (when I was struggling to check pressures) suggests they have a large inset/outset to place the load on both wheels equally about the mounting flange. If (as I assume) the same wheels are on the front (and it appears that they are) then I also have to assume the flange has additional depth, or a spacer, to place the tyre centre line over the bearings.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back