Levelling Uo (1 Viewer)

The Flute

Free Member
Nov 18, 2017
Funster No
MH
Dethfleffs
So just brought tag axle motorhome and was thinking of putting some hydraulic levelling rams on the front end. Operate them manual to level the front end up. I read lots of people going on about chassis twist. But can't see any difference with doing this and driving up a kerb. Has anyone else fitted something just to the front?
Thanks.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
interesting question, but really sure why you wouldn't do all four corners, or is that not an option with tag axles?

OP
OP
The Flute

The Flute

Free Member
Nov 18, 2017
Funster No
MH
Dethfleffs
interesting question, but really sure why you wouldn't do all four corners, or is that not an option with tag axles?
Well as I see it if I always park with front lower. I can do rear side to Side with a chock. I can fit pump unit under bonnet keeping pipe work short. So for about £500 it would be done

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Well as I see it if I always park with front lower. I can do rear side to Side with a chock. I can fit pump unit under bonnet keeping pipe work short. So for about £500 it would be done

certainly an improvement on a four point E+P roughly 10X that price o_O

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
The point about “just driving up a kerb” is that the weight is supported by the suspension and does not create any (significant) twisting moment. When you introduce four rigid supports to the chassis any lift should be such as to use the line between two opposite supports as a fulcrum. I think it’s a bit of a compromise, in practice, achieved by linking the two lifting rams together. It did occur to me that it would be easy to achieve if you could arrange a “three point lift”. Say a single ram at the centre the front and two rear rams at the sides of the rear. You would need to keep as much weight as possible within the area of the three rams.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
We have a tag axle and have the glide right set up. Works a treat. Can raise front, rear, each side independently.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I like your idea:
Always park so that the nose is down and with the rear axle comfortably level (across).
Then jack-up from a central point at the front.

I would use a simple (manual) jack and a pair of steadies to take the load at each side. I wouldn’t install fancy hydraulics though. Even cheaper.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
From an engineering point of view what do you think mate?
Cant see a problem if your rear is level, with a tag the rear is firmer, it would be like just using just your front ram's & not bothering with the rear's if you had a full set up.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
The self leveling works two jacks at a time. Either two front or rear, or two on the same side.
This is to stop chassis twisting or windscreen cracking. A lot to risk if your idea doesn't work.

OP
OP
The Flute

The Flute

Free Member
Nov 18, 2017
Funster No
MH
Dethfleffs
The self leveling works two jacks at a time. Either two front or rear, or two on the same side.
This is to stop chassis twisting or windscreen cracking. A lot to risk if your idea doesn't work.
Good point I could build a little control panel to work both together or independent. Won't be to much of a problem

OP
OP
The Flute

The Flute

Free Member
Nov 18, 2017
Funster No
MH
Dethfleffs
Just out of interest then if you had a front wheel puncture would you jack both sides Of The van up?

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Just out of interest then if you had a front wheel puncture would you jack both sides Of The van up?
I think you know the answer. The point is that the suspension gives more where there would've been a twisting force to the chassis.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I like your idea:
Always park so that the nose is down and with the rear axle comfortably level (across).
Then jack-up from a central point at the front.

I would use a simple (manual) jack and a pair of steadies to take the load at each side. I wouldn’t install fancy hydraulics though. Even cheaper.

Having slept on this, I'd put steadies under all four corners. Otherwise there could be some twisting forces to the front as you move about in the van, due to the rear suspension giving but the front held firm. Take a look under van at an exhibition. Get some steadies and position them as they do.

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome

Just the front or the back depending on where the puncture is.

Always are operated in pairs. A pair solely on the front would be useful replacing ramps but not much else.

OP
OP
The Flute

The Flute

Free Member
Nov 18, 2017
Funster No
MH
Dethfleffs
Thanks for all the input Guys I think I'll put some on the front and go from there. Has steadies on the rear so will drop them and lift the front

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks for all the input Guys I think I'll put some on the front and go from there. Has steadies on the rear so will drop them and lift the front
I would lift the front then drop the steadies - unless you know they are up to taking the weight of the vehicle. :)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
They are only steadies, not intended to take the weight at the back. Just to stop wobbling.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back