RS SPIKE

Free Member
Oct 8, 2014
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
ELDDIS SUNSTYLE 140
Exp
Hi, just kitting out our first motorhome and not sure what ramps i require ??

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Over forty years motorhoming and I have never, ever, ever used a levelling ramp... ever

Cant compete with that ! But in 3 years I've used mine once.
I am constantly surprised by how many people insist on being completely level even on flat ground. If my head is high than my feet, in bed, I'm happy.

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Fascinating - all the vans around me here at Lyndon Top are using at least one ramp. All except me (I don't have any)!

However, it seems quite possible to find a flat bit in the area I want to be...

Broken Link Removed

How level does one need to be ?

Upvote 0

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
We just use the cheap yellow ones and have screwed 8x2 to them angled at the pointed end. The 8x2 helps spread the load better and stops the ramps from slipping on hard standings that sometimes have thin gravel on them.

steve & ann. ---------teensvan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I just NEED to be level - and we are 'nose down' too. Must just be us, but we find it quite unusual not to actually need ramps and despite them being Millenco Quattros it's unusual not to need at least 2 steps up, often 3 or 4 !

Upvote 0

Johnnyb

Free Member
Jan 21, 2015
Yorks/Derbys
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
We use ours on virtually every site - saves me having to keep the fridge door open with my head whilst I'm rummaging around trying to find something to make a meal of.
The doors swinging shut is the main thing that annoys me too. For how long it takes to get out and drive up the ramps I'd rather be level.

Upvote 0

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We have a set of ramps in the van but have never used them. It would have to be a pretty steep slope for us to even notice.

I notice a lot of people do use ramps though so each to their own. All this worrying about being level seems a bit caravanish to me :)

Paul

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
I just NEED to be level - and we are 'nose down' too. Must just be us, but we find it quite unusual not to actually need ramps and despite them being Millenco Quattros it's unusual not to need at least 2 steps up, often 3 or 4 !
We find the same, often end up on level 3. The main reason I always check we're level is because it's really annoying trying to cook and the oil runs to one side of the pan :doh:

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We find the same, often end up on level 3. The main reason I always check we're level is because it's really annoying trying to cook and the oil runs to one side of the pan :doh:

My friend !!! - makes me wish I still had whatever the last pan I had that got warped on the bottom, back again LOL The fat thing is what drives me utterly batty, plus I tend to do loads of X-words and if I can't put a pen/cil on the table without it rolling off, that also annoys me. Not that this will bother anyone else of course probably but insulin cartridges, pens and syringes (including pump reservoirs) are all also cylindrical and not only might it leave you short of the stuff for your holiday if you smash one - all of the stuff (doesn't matter what make and whether it's animal, analogue or whatever) has a very unique pong indeed !

(Don't tell me there aren't degrees of uniqueness, I did know that LOL) (and people applying them to the word cos they are clueless drives me bonkers too!)

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
Fascinating - all the vans around me here at Lyndon Top are using at least one ramp. All except me (I don't have any)!

However, it seems quite possible to find a flat bit in the area I want to be...

Broken Link Removed

How level does one need to be ?
Just downloaded this app! Looks great thanks. And it shows we are 100° level on the third rung of our Millenco Quatro's (y)

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Yes we have the Quattro's, I must admit I get SWMBO watch as I drive up them and I agree heavy and bulky but very strong.

I do the driving up them whilst he directs :)

Our motorhome is also an automatic but I have not had any problems controlling the ascent. Use left foot braking to hold the vehicle back if required.

Our automatic had an "advance" button that meant you could turn up the tick over speed slightly and it would creep forward without a foot on the accelerator so the driver could control the ascent with foot on the brake. :)

He likes it to be as level as possible as otherwise I squash him - I sleep on the "inside" of the bed 'cos I don't usually need to use the facilities at night.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Caerus

Free Member
Dec 30, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
Travel Van
Exp
& Milenco Quattros

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I have the older yellow 4 step Fiamma Level-Ups which seem to be discontinued. Have used them many times. I can't sleep unless the bed is level.

Filling the voids in the Level-Ups with expanding foam polystyrene goo stops them sinking into grass pitches. A tip I got from another forum.

Upvote 0

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
I like the Milenco ones but, they seem to have a problem with stabilizing the plastic against UV light they go brittle and start to break up, its happened to the surface of our Tridents, I had a Milenco caravan one just shatter once and my Milenco Power 900 aerial went from white to yellow all around a year old, unfortunately Milenco's after sales is not the best either, they just ignored the emails and photo's and would not enter into any correspondence.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back