Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Pretty mundane I know but ... we have ordinary yellow levelling blocks we got for our caravan. They are not the really big ones and they dont have a dent in the top to keep a wheel steady. Just simple cheese wedge type things. Will these do the job for our motorhome or do we need something different?

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I've been using this type for the last few years with no problems and they are small to stow.

My only worry was that I might overshoot the top so I've invested in some stepped ones.

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hi Mags, I recently bought some of the yellow ones and have used them on three different occasions now... I find them fine as long there is someone to shout STOP and you put your brake and hand brake on quickly::bigsmile:

I like them because I am getting short on storage in my van and they fit snugly behind my passenger seat.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We have a set of four heavy duty Fiamma yellow levelling blocks for our 7ton RV, no problem :thumb:

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
They might do the job. There are so many makes of these and some are really flimsy. Recently at shows. large heavy duty levelers, in a black honeycomb pattern have been selling well, they are light but they look like they need their own locker they are so big.

You could always opt for a few bits of wood::bigsmile:

Link Removed

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
They might do the job. There are so many makes of these and some are really flimsy. Recently at shows. large heavy duty levelers, in a black honeycomb pattern have been selling well, they are light but they look like they need their own locker they are so big.

Link Removed
What fool parked his car in front of that????

Upvote 0

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Recently at shows. large heavy duty levelers, in a black honeycomb pattern have been selling well, they are light but they look like they need their own locker they are so big.

Yup, those are the ones I bought from the Bring & Buy.

Had to rearrange the whole van to get them in :Blush:

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004

Link Removed

Heath Robinson ??? :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
to get that van balancing on those unstable bit of wood i would imagine a trolly jack had to be used, those bits of wood would of shot out in all directions when trying to drive up it

Upvote 0

Rainbowchaser

Free Member
Feb 27, 2010
Third rock from the sun
Funster No
MH
Err..A blue one
Exp
Hmnn...Quite a long time really...
Oh paleeeze!
Have you lot got more money than sense or what?
Stop fannying about with bits of overpriced, designer plastic..

One railway sleeper, cut diagonally in half, cover in wire mesh. Sorted.
Not suggesting you carry six concrete blocks around but be creative.
:Smile:
Lash 'em to the bike rack or stow inside when travelling.
These are the only type of ramp I've never had nicked!

Attachments

• ramps.jpg
    ramps.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 33
Upvote 0

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Never had levelling blocks and never needed them, (I'm a good sailor) :winky:

I watch some peeps using them and I can never understand why. Now its gonna be just my luck too fall foul of a ski slope pitch. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jim
:roflmto:

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We have a rear lounge and I can't bear it when I stand up and walk to the bathroom and find I'm running by the time I get there, or vice versa. We sleep crosswise, and can do OK head up a bit and feet down a bit, but not much and defo not vice versa.

Until we bought this vehicle, I had absolutely no idea how completely uneven 'flat looking' tarmac could possibly be.

Levelling blocks are fab!

Upvote 0

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I carry four heavy duty Fiamma ramps PLUS chocks

I have four of the large Fiamma blocks - take up a lot of room, but are very strong and hold my 5.5 tons Winnebago Aspect B class up without any problems. But I also have a pair of Selly 10 ton heavy duty rubber chocks that I block the wheels not on the ramps with to stop the RV settling back. The reason is an automatic will settle back as you apply the gear into park (automatic transmission) plus as we all know the American hand brake (operated by foot) are not that great. So I play safe and use the chocks.

This weekend I needed to crawl under the RV and being a bit of the larger size and a low skirt I put one ramp under the front wheels and on the outside of the rears and drove up getting 3" more clearance and then got the boss to put the Selly chocks behind the wheels at the front before the transmission was set to park and the brake applied... worked a treat. So the bigger the better in my book, but you do have to find a home for them. Me I have then on the trailer. Would take up to much of my locker space if I had to stow them on the RV. Mine are not stepped and I manage to climb them without going over the top... not like someone called the Boss that manages to drive up and over them when asked to level the RV. Oh for the hydraulic level jacks... mind you I did see an European van still having to use wood under the jacks the other week to make good use of them. We have had to use a ramp to lift one side when we are emptying the black tank at times as well to make sure it all rolls down hill so to speak.:Sad:

Upvote 0

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
It is called thinking outside the box

Thats the best reason for having them that Ive heard yet.
Jim
:thumb:

Jim you have to think outside the box sometimes... it is amazing what you can do with a ramp or ramps:winky: How about putting two back to back and putting a hydraulic jack on them and supporting the Reece towbar (applicable to American motorhome in case you have not seen it done) when parked up to steady the back end - add the airlift adjustable suspension and you have a very steady RV to move about in. No rock and roll. Add mini American wind up step jacks (two under the electric steps) and we have a very level and steady motorhome with ramps and chocks.:thumb:

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
And DON'T DO WHAT I DID ON MY FIRST TRIP OUT!!! Tell the site owner you don't eat chocolate when he asks if you have any chocks:Sad::Sad::Doh:

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Originally Posted by Jim View Post

We have a pair of these big black ones in a neat carrying case. We've only used them twice since we bought them and they take a lot of room. We will be at Shepton Mallett in September if anyone wants to make an offer for them.:thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Love the picture but I hate to think what would happen if you turned over in bed.
I think we'll give these small ones a try and if I drive off the end too often we'll go for something more sophisticated.
Thanks folks
M

Upvote 0

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
What fool parked his car in front of that????

Snowbird.......I think he uses the car as a handbrake to stop the motorhome if it did slip forward.?????? Why else would you park the car there I would have thought it was common sense for somebody contemplating or even thinking of parking on those blocks of wood.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Mel

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back