Free Member
Mar 22, 2010
Forest of Dean, Glos
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
New end of March 2010
Thanks everyone that helped regarding my steadies question. However if the ground is quite level would you still use the levelling blocks. Or how uneven does the ground have to be before you use the levelling blocks and if only parking up for a few hours would you bother levelling. Obviously I would always try to find the best even ground before parking but if uneven does it cause damage to the motorhome if left unlevelled for too long.

Keep smiling.:RollEyes:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as i said in the other thread, if the house wasnt level you'd sort it out.

to be honest, i have a thing about being level but it doesnt really matter if it doesnt bother you.

to me, if the egg stays near the center of the frying pan, its near enough.

i have seen some where the frying pan wouldnt even stay on the stove due to being so unlevel. :roflmto:

unless you park at a really stupid angle for years on end without moving then you cant damage the suspension.

the only caution is the fridge......most dont like being at a greater angle than around 6deg from plumb and the burner wont light/stay lit.

ps...i even fitted adjustable feet on my BBQ so i can level that as well. now how sad is that :Blush:

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
I actually like slightly sloping fields. My van is naturally nose down, so pulling into a slope eliminates the need for ramps altogether.:thumb:

Other than above, I would always be looking to get my van as level as I can, I am very sensitive to it not being level.:whatthe:

Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bald eagle

Free Member
Jan 30, 2009
here,there and everywhere
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since 1998
How nannyjan
We always park slightly on the tilt so when it rains :rain: the water runs off the back or front.
Hope this helps

regards
bald eagle:thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We like our Autoquest 100 to be very slightly nose down and very slightly down on the driver's side for two reasons.

1) The dinette bed seems more comfortable than if it is level (certainly wouldn't want the cab (foot) end higher than the back).
2) The shower drains a lot easier because of the position of the plughole.

It's never caused us a problem with the fridge on gas like that - but it's nowhere near as much as the angle John mentions. I should think a steeper angle might also make moving around inside feel strange because of a slope.

Graham

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
got two leveling blocks dont use them unless its really unlevel
just move round the pitch till levelish

place the rubber mat out of the door
pitch up next to it again
if we go off site

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
Speaking of levelling blocks; has anyone seen these before? Love the concept, wouldn't like to over run it though.

Link Removed

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Thanks everyone that helped regarding my steadies question. However if the ground is quite level would you still use the levelling blocks. Or how uneven does the ground have to be before you use the levelling blocks and if only parking up for a few hours would you bother levelling. Obviously I would always try to find the best even ground before parking but if uneven does it cause damage to the motorhome if left unlevelled for too long.

Keep smiling.:RollEyes:

I only use levelling blocks if absolutely necessary and I am going to be on a site longer than one night. I have a spirit level on the dash and try to park according to that.

The only time I would be bothered about a tilt is when using the fridge on gas.

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
I've levelled one or two blokes in my time but it was quite a while ago and they did ask for it!:Angry:

Kin perverts playin with my wifeys bits!!

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
as i said in the other thread, if the house wasnt level you'd sort it out.

If the foundations weren't level I wouldn't have built it. :winky:

I've got a pair of blocks that were part of the deal when I bought Herman and they're still in the bag. Also, if I did pay for a pitch, which I don't , I would expect it to be level. Is that too much to expect on a paid site?

Not a go at you John, just a comment up for discussion, I think that spirit levels are a tadge anal but hayhh! everyone to there own anus!!:Blush::Doh:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I have been "motorhoming" for forty years and living in my van for twenty years and have never used a levelling block ever.

Mind you I have often had to reject a nice overnight stopping place because it really was too sloped.

I consider myself to be lucky that, within reason, the "levelness" of my accomodation has never really worried me... and I don't mind things rattling on my shelves/oven/sink either so I am lucky there too...

JJ

PS. I have a compressor fridge and my sink drainer can be tilted up if necessary and I have several drain holes in my shower tray...

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Me most of the time I don't bother.....like John & Joan "I only use leveling blocks if absolutely necessary and I am going to be on a site longer than one night" and even then I would not bother unless it is bad....one of the reasons is, when you want to come off the ramps to get a early start to your next destination or just move off before the person behind you (or in front) for what ever reason has pulled slow close to you ????? if you reversed off the ramps you would hit his motorhome..... so you are stuck, as you can not move anyway until off the ramps (unless you drove over the top of the ramps and damage your ramps or tyres)

Mel

Last edited:

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
I actually like slightly sloping fields. My van is naturally nose down, so pulling into a slope eliminates the need for ramps altogether.:thumb:

Other than above, I would always be looking to get my van as level as I can, I am very sensitive to it not being level.:whatthe:

Steve

Yep, me too, for the same reason.

John

T

TomTee

Deleted User
Like everything in life it's about being sensible and reasonable. If my 'van slopes slightly I couldn't care less, as long as it's nose down as I don't like my head to be higher than my feet.

However, if we really like a spot and the slope is more than I'm comfortable with, I'll get out the levelling blocks. It only takes two minutes for God's sake!

I think that it's a bit unreasonable to ask all site owners to make every pitch dead level. That would cost a fortune on a sloping site and the people moaning about sloping pitches are guaranteed to be the ones moaning about site prices!

We should remember that many sites were originally designed for caravans, where back to front levelling isn't a problem and anyway, it's usually the nicest sites, in the hills and beautiful places, where the pitches are sloping. Who wants to stay on a site that's like a boring airfield?

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Leveling Blocks

Generally if there is a slope I try and park so that I roll into the wall on the bed not onto the floor:ROFLMAO:

I have tried levelinbg blocks in extream slopes, but then i get the problem as to where I should put the spirit level to check???

S

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I am blowed if I can get to sleep unless the van is close to level and almost always end up using the blocks
I just like a level van.. But it really is a personal thing

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Speaking of levelling blocks; has anyone seen these before? Love the concept, wouldn't like to over run it though.

View attachment 5131

Good idea but wont work on the rear wheels as when the handbrake is applied the van will just rock back again :cry:. Thing these are for trailers with air brakes that lock all the wheels when the air is removed.

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
If my wine stays in my glass and I don't fall out of bed, it's level enough.

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
We dont always use the levelling blocks but only if we feel we are being tilted forward and the bathroom door keeps flapping do we use them. Most sites we have stayed on are quite level and I agree it would cost an absolute fortune to make each pitch 100% level. Use your own judgement, you will soon know if you need to use the blocks or not.

TonyIsh UK

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Funster No
Its not usually being level for the sake of it, its more like the silly things like:

The water will not run out the shower if the m/home IS level.

The loo door swings open and you walk into it on a midnight prambulation !

Fridge door swings shut just as you start to load it

Open the door in wet weather and get a shower

:shout:

Rgds

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back