Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
We're on a pitch that leans front to back and left to right. I've got the chocks under the front wheels at the moment so it's as level as possible but we've still got quite a lean to the left. Any advice on which way is preferable, both chocks on the left or as is at present? The fridge / freezer isn't very efficient at the moment. Could this be due to not being level either way?

Thank you

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Another inch should do it !

207dc4b76b2752376bd479233bb5650e.jpg

Upvote 0

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Close enough is good enough for me. However, saying that, I do use a level checking front to back and side to side in three places. The bubble isn't always central though; splitting the line is close enough if not centralized. The wine glass levelling method mentioned elsewhere is also a good way to judge it :wine:

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2009
Heybrook Bay, Plymouth, UK
Funster No
MH
LeVoyageur 950 LVX
Exp
Always learning...
Could be missing that some vans sit level whereas others don't, for example; on perfectly flat/level ground, our van is lower at the front than the rear, meaning we would want to level it, however if the pitch had an incline, we could park with the front up the incline and be level without ramps. what we actually do, regardless of how the pitch is, is just hit the level button on the remote control ;-)

Lee

Yes, I guess that's probably it, our's is level front to back so we don't have the same issue

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Christoph

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
Staggererd the front chocks which has helped the sideways slope a lot. Thank you all. Will live with the slight from to back slope. Can't move to another pitch as the site is full. Great helpful replies. Thank you all

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
View attachment 112098 Just as long as you don't end up like this guy....
Just looking at the photo again, I don't think the MH is actually on the levellers is it? It looks like they're just being used as chocks to (hopefully) prevent it rolling forwards if the handbrake fails .. not that 2 plastic chocks on tarmac would stop it!

Upvote 0
Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
When I had my caravan I admit to getting a bit OCD over levelling. With the van I tend to look at the pitch, work out which parking orientation will give be best results and settle for that. The fridge has always seemed to work no matter how level the vehicle was, BUT as someone has mentioned I have grown to realise that a tilt towards the shower/sink drain hole was most important, after not having the wine glass sliding off the table :)

Which brings me back to the long held though. Why do the manufacturers not have two drain holes in the shower tray on opposite sides? The additional costs and weight would be minimal, the convenience great!

And a guilty admission. Once, or twice, while wild camping and not able to level the van, I dug out a couple of small holes, carefully keeping the turf and soil to effect a repair when I left. I doubt if many sites would appreciate such methods :)

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Which brings me back to the long held though. Why do the manufacturers not have two drain holes in the shower tray on opposite sides? The additional costs and weight would be minimal, the convenience great!
Our Globecar has 2 holes ... :D

And a guilty admission. Once, or twice, while wild camping and not able to level the van, I dug out a couple of small holes, carefully keeping the turf and soil to effect a repair when I left. I doubt if many sites would appreciate such methods :)
... so long as you didn't empty your toilet waste cassette into the hole before filling it in I don't think anyone would be any the wiser! :LOL:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Christoph

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
Well we couldnt move pitches so we moved sites. Got as level as possible and hey presto the fridge freezer came back to life! Didn't realise how important it was to be that level honest. Think we will have to invest in some Millenco Quattro chocks as the Thule ones aren't big enough to guarantee getting level on all pitch types.

The next challenge is water! The new site doesn't have the usual tap with the thread, just a push and hold chrome tap! Brought lots of different tap / hose fittings but none fit! Any advice on options would be appreciated. Thanks

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
The next challenge is water! The new site doesn't have the usual tap with the thread, just a push and hold chrome tap! Brought lots of different tap / hose fittings but none fit! Any advice on options would be appreciated. Thanks

Perfect time to use the essential watering can, a few trips will give you enough to get through for a while, when on sites with similar taps I do 2 or 3 watering cans a day, good exercise as well (y)

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Ask the site wardens - they sometimes have a fitting they will let you borrow.

We use the alternative version of the watering can: the 10 litre jerrycan + flexi funnel if we want a bit more. We do this a lot, because we STILL usually forget to fill up on our way in :rolleyes::LOL:

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Well we couldnt move pitches so we moved sites. Got as level as possible and hey presto the fridge freezer came back to life! Didn't realise how important it was to be that level honest. Think we will have to invest in some Millenco Quattro chocks as the Thule ones aren't big enough to guarantee getting level on all pitch types.

Buy one of the rubber tap adaptors that come with a wing-nut type clip. They click onto normal hose fittings. Most of the time I use it without the clip & it'll force onto most 'odd' taps. Push button taps can be cured with a zip tie adjusted to suit. And complain to the site office about it - it may be (barely) adequate for caravanners but it isn't much fun trying to fill a MH tank.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Christoph

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks - I thought that might be the best option. Will have to go and buy a watering can now. Another lesson learnt! We also left the electric cool box at home as we didn't think we would need it. It would have saved the day when we lost the fridge for 3 days!

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Just looking at the photo again, I don't think the MH is actually on the levellers is it? It looks like they're just being used as chocks to (hopefully) prevent it rolling forwards if the handbrake fails .. not that 2 plastic chocks on tarmac would stop it!
It was well on the levellers, he had 4 attempts putting the levellers under different wheels, I think he just gave up in the end.
Lots of people walked past looking at it and shaking their heads, some even took photos.
We parked facing out within the lines and had our levellers staggered on the front wheels, the van was still facing downhill a bit, but as long as the wine glasses didn't slide off the table, it was fine.
On our new (old) van, we have hydraulic kick down jacks with about 6 or 7 inches of travel. Tried it out a couple of weeks ago, we have 4 little lights on the panel that come on when the van isn't level and all go off when it is. Much easier ( and more fun) than the yellow blocks we had before.

Upvote 0

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
I use our bathroom door to level , if it stays open not level , if it just swings shut its level and opposite .

Upvote 0
D

DL42846

Deleted User
21452351944_bc19c810f6_z.jpg

This is what happen to my Land Rover when I accidentally drove off the ramps. Both sides. I think when in my Camper I will just move and find a more level pitch if it bothers me that much.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back